Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need performant big box for 1 month.. 16+ cores 32gig+ ram.. 200gig SSD. VPS or bare metal
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need performant big box for 1 month.. 16+ cores 32gig+ ram.. 200gig SSD. VPS or bare metal

I work on the Armbian linux distro. We're working on building RC and release images. Looking to add another box to our build farm for a month.

We have to build a few hundred images a lot during this period. More cores is great, but newer gen CPU / clock is more important if I have to choose.

Need Ubuntu preferably 21.04 or at least ability for me to upgrade to it.

Location doesn't matter, but traffic in and out is going to be EU.

paypal is preferred payment but CC is fine. thanks!

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

budget?

• lanefulanefu Member
    edited August 2021

below $100 USD

I dunno just wanna hear some numbers and I can figure it out.

@lanefu said:
    below $100 USD

you're asking for 16 cores under 100? unless you want an opteron, you're out of your mind

on second look, maybe hetzner cloud could work, CPX51
    note that the cores are not dedicated so be careful

• only choice is contabo

• lanefulanefu Member
    edited August 2021

i rescind my $100 comment... just wanna know what's out there and if there's any love for a short-term use for an open source project.... Our main build boxes are a big threadripper and a 56 thread xeon. so not desperate.

also sorry if my inquiry was insulting.. wasn't meant to be.

• edited August 2021

Hetzner, NetCup, or Contabo

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited August 2021

An AX41/51 easily fulfills the requirements way below the $100 mark (assuming cores=threads since you asked for VPS).

Any reasons why you're not going with Hetzner? Since this is for short-term usage just find Hetzner resellers so you skip the setup fee.

@chocolateshirt said:
    Hetzner, NetCup, or Contabo

netcup vserver is 16 core 64gb ram, could work

• @jmgcaguicla said: Any reasons why you're not going with Hetzner? Since this is for short-term usage just find Hetzner resellers so you skip the setup fee.

no reason.. I'm in north america so typically haven't gone to hetzner. I've always head good things so lemme take a look.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2021

@lanefu said: just wanna know what's out there and if there's any love for a short-term use for an open source project....

Not sure if we can meet all your requirements (newer gen CPU), but we should be able to help you out. Just need you to be a little more specific on what you need and private message me your e-mail with us after you sign up if you're interested.

(edit) Perhaps I should be more specific on what I mean by more specific, but bandwidth requirements and actual processing power equivalent units that would scale over different processor versions, maybe geekbench score if that fits well for you.

Thanked by 2TheLinuxBug Daniel15
  • hzhoangleehzhoanglee Member
    edited August 2021

@lanefu said:
    I work on the Armbian linux distro.

Will there any small chance that RK3128 gonna have armbian? :(

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited August 2021

MetalVPS

Each slice:

• Ryzen 5950X, 2 dedicated cores, burstable to 8 cores
    • 8GB RAM
    • 200GB NVMe
    • $20.21

You can ask for 5 slices.
    It'll be a big KVM or LXC.

If your buildroot works on Debian Sid, you only pay $20.21 for a shell account and can have unlimited resources.
    Compiler, etc, can be requested on the host machine by emailing the administrator.

• @VirMach said: Not sure if we can meet all your requirements (newer gen CPU), but we should be able to help you out. Just need you to be a little more specific on what you need and private message me your e-mail with us after you sign up if you're interested.

(edit) Perhaps I should be more specific on what I mean by more specific, but bandwidth requirements and actual processing power equivalent units that would scale over different processor versions, maybe geekbench score if that fits well for you.

E5-2650-v3 like perf or better I guess would be a good reference point.

2TB of total xfer as absolute worst scenario.. trying to write some prometheus queries to get a better estimate

• @yoursunny said: If your buildroot works on Debian Sid, you only pay $20.21 for a shell account and can have unlimited resources.

Compiler, etc, can be requested on the host machine by emailing the administrator.

Nope. buildroot sucks. Armbian is really a robust build framework to build SBCs. Needs full access.

• @hzhoanglee said: Will there any small chance that RK3128 gonna have armbian?

Honestly I think that SoC is just kind of old and didn't have much interest.... IF there's mainline u-boot and device tree configs in the linux kernel then adding it at a community supported device is possible

• @Clouvider @1gservers @DataWagon @DataIdeas-Josh @ioflood_michael_b @NDTN @UltraVPS @georgedatacenter @HostSlick @terrahost @AlexBarakov @ninzo59 @TNAHosting @BrianHarrison @GTHost @Ian_Dot_Tech @bacloud

Hey Guys, Wonderful Hosts, Friends...

If any of you can spare some cores / memory for CI and building of the Armbian project or could offer us some good discount on such, we would really love to hear about it. We are at a point where it would really help in our development cycle to have some more resources for testing our work. If any of you think you can help us out, let @lanefu or my self know, also if you wish to keep it private instead, please also feel free to PM either of us.

Thanks so much for your time and review of this.

Have a great day!

Cheers!

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@TheLinuxBug sure! PM me what you need we'll see what we can do :)

Thanked by 2TheLinuxBug lanefu
  • Oracle Cloud

Ampere A1 instance
    1vCPU $0.01 per hour
    1GB RAM $0.0015 per hour

First 3k CPU hours & 18K GB hours are free. That is equal to 4vCPU and 24GB of ram. If this box would work 12h/day then its equal to 8vCPU and 48GB of ram. Free.
    These cores can be faster than AMD Milan, all depends on workload.
    Also, 10TB transfer for free every month.

Another suggestion is PHP-Friends
    https://php-friends.de/vserver-ssd/vserver-l-ssd-g3
    28 euro = 8 dedi cores/threads AMD EPYC 7452, 40GB ram, 260GB NVMe RAID10, 1Gbit, 10TB transfer. Two boxes and you get 16 cores & 80GB of ram for 56 euro / 67 USD. Or you can go with single one + Oracle Cloud Ampere instance :)

If you need traffic "traffic in and out is going to be EU" then netcup is your best option.
    https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/#root-server-details
    Even cheapest offer has 120TB transfer with 2.5Gbit. They can throttle you to 200Mbit if you will use more than 1Gbit allday tho.

If you want dedicated then I think the best options are @Hetzner_OL and @Clouvider
    They will not disappoint

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

I just got 10x i9 11900K in Dallas, TX. Something might interest you?

• @Shakib said: I just got 10x i9 11900K in Dallas, TX. Something might interest you?

yes.

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

@TheLinuxBug depending on traffic usage we may be able to help.
    What do you expect traffic usage to be?

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

If there's no preferred location, maybe WSI?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2021

@Ian_Dot_Tech said: @TheLinuxBug depending on traffic usage we may be able to help.

My understanding is about 1-2TB a month, it really just depends if there are a lot of patches / issues during testing and if we have to update caches, otherwise traffic is relatively light.

Cheers!

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

@lanefu said:

@Shakib said: I just got 10x i9 11900K in Dallas, TX. Something might interest you?

yes.

Offer sent.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

@TheLinuxBug said:

@Ian_Dot_Tech said: @TheLinuxBug depending on traffic usage we may be able to help.

My understanding is about 1-2TB a month, it really just depends if there are a lot of patches / issues during testing and if we have to update caches, otherwise traffic is relatively light.

Cheers!

If you want a machine for a month.
    I will offer you:
    DS-39 | i7-6900k (8 core 16 threads) | 2x500GB SSD | 64GB DDR4 RAM
    In Dallas, TX it includes a 1Gbps port with 10TB Bandwidth.

1 month free to help support your project.

If you want to renew it can be done at $83.99/month.

Please DM me if you would want this deal

• Hey thanks everyone for their generosity and great offers. @WebHorizon had something that was really in the sweet spot for our needs so i'm ansibling that into the build farm now.

thanks again!

Thanked by 3Abd Daniel15 Ympker
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited August 2021

@bruh21 said:

@lanefu said:
    below $100 USD

you're asking for 16 cores under 100? unless you want an opteron, you're out of your mind

Out of their mind? Not really. Ryzen 3900x is a $400 processor with 12 cores, and the 3950x is a few hundred dollars more for 16 cores, so this is definitely possible if you're OK with AMD Ryzen rather than server-grade processors (Intel Xeon or AMD EPYC).

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2021

@lanefu said:
    Hey thanks everyone for their generosity and great offers. @WebHorizon had something that was really in the sweet spot for our needs so i'm ansibling that into the build farm now.

thanks again!

@WebHorizon cool to see you stepping up to help here, mate :)

Good luck with the project to @lanefuand @TheLinuxBug !

Thanked by 2lanefu Abd
  • bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Got tagged here. For now, the stock is very low and no options if you need 16 cores. Just dual machine with 24 cores:

» CPU: [Dual] Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2678 v3 12C/24T (30M Cache, 2.50 GHz) 60.00€
    » RAM: 32GB DDR4 ECC 12.00€
    » DISK: 2.5" 250GB SSD 6GB SATA3: 2 x 5.50€
    » RAID: Integrated RAID
    » Integrated RAID: RAID 1 (Mirroring)
    » OS: Linux OS
    » Linux OS: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 64-bit
    » Control panel for Linux: No Control Panel
    » IPv4 Address: 1 IP address
    » IPv6 Address: 1 IPv6 address
    » Internet speed: 1Gbps (50TB traffic inc.)

The price I can offer is 110 euro/130 USD

Direct order link: https://www.bacloud.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=186

PM if discount needed.

Thanked by 1lanefu