Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS in Portugal? Spain?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS in Portugal? Spain?

Hi.

Looking for a cheap VPS located preferably in Portugal.

Else, any reputed reliable hosters in Spain?

Thanks!

Thanked by 1jmginer

Comments

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@BKKHK said:

Dunno about Portugal, but there's good ol' @jmginer in Spain.

Thanked by 3BKKHK pike Ympker
  • sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited July 2021

Portugal:

• Dotsi.pt (Blazingfast.io was bought from Dotsi, they are now property of Dotsi) that means good antiddos protection
    • waaclive.com (from i4w.pt company) (ddos protected)
    • ptisp.pt (No DDoS Protection)
    • Dominios.pt (bought by Amen)

*** I have noticed that Dotsi seems to be closed their VPS plans, you should contact them. I think blazingfast can use Portugal location.

Spain
    ginernet.com (DDoS Protection available)

I think you won't find cheaper and with good ddos protection than Dotysi or Waaclive.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Well there's @leapswitch in PT, but not cheap.

Then there's also @jmginer and @hosthatch in ES.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2021

@BKKHK said:
    Hi.

Thanks!

Madrid (Spain)
    https://ginernet.com/en/vps/

Try our looking glass:
    http://lg.ginernet.com/

Thanks!

Thanked by 1BKKHK
  • BKKHKBKKHK Member
    edited July 2021

@jmginer You just replied to my ticket anyhow. (#20210720Sv1). I guess I’ll keep looking.

Thanks!

Ideally looking for a cheap host 1vCore/1GB RAM/30GB SSD/1TB traffic/100Mbit anywhere in Portugal. (DMCA ignored).

Thanked by 1jmginer
  • MalinMalin Member

Dotsi seems pretty much abandoned. SSL expired 402 days ago and HostBill is full or errors.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • OhJohnOhJohn Member
    edited July 2021

Haven't tried them until now, but just as they are not mentioned yet:

https://www.webtuga.pt/servidores/servidores-virtuais-ssd

Edit: don't know about DMCA ignored, as I'm never looking for those kind of features.

In Spain you've got arsys.es as well (bought by 1&1 Ionos) but probably also not DMCA ignoring. You could buy them cheaper thru e.g. ionos.de, just choose Spain as Datacenter location, than you would pay slightly more than 5€ for the vps cloud m.

mvps.net also has vps in spain, starting at 3€ plus taxes.

• TejyTejy Member

Portugal really needs an innovative and reliable hosting company.
    Last time, I've tried @leapswitch, as they were using Equinix Lisboa.

• BKKHKBKKHK Member

@OhJohn said:
    Haven't tried them until now, but just as they are not mentioned yet:

https://www.webtuga.pt/servidores/servidores-virtuais-ssd

Yeah well, 14.99€ a month, ugh.

• BKKHKBKKHK Member

@Tejy said:

It’s not just that, first of all the VAT tax on all goods is 23%, one of the highest ones in good ole’ Europe compared to Spain, France, etc…

Then the country telecoms are gridlocked by the Altice Group, the country has like 2 ISPs being meo.pt and nos.pt, they are non competitive, the service is quite okay’ish but the fares are complete nonsense.

Living in Portugal it is better to have a SIM card from another EU country with unlimited data caps for 9€ a month and then EU roam here than having a local Portuguese SIM card with horrible data caps.

Portugal has yet to do it’s digital revolution, compared to it’s siblings neighbour Spain, this is the Stone Age.

• BKKHKBKKHK Member

I quickly looked into @leapswitch no VPS is being offered in Portugal unless I’m mistaken?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@BKKHK said:
    I quickly looked into @leapswitch no VPS is being offered in Portugal unless I’m mistaken?

Their Managed/Self-Managed Cloud Servers.

Thanked by 1leapswitch
  • sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited July 2021

@BKKHK said:
    @jmginer You just replied to my ticket anyhow. (#20210720Sv1). I guess I’ll keep looking.

Thanks!

Ideally looking for a cheap host 1vCore/1GB RAM/30GB SSD/1TB traffic/100Mbit anywhere in Portugal. (DMCA ignored).

Forget about DMCA Ignored in Portugal, Portugal is the country of people fears goverment. They try to do everything right.

Hostings in Portugal are very polite and always want to BE a "clear hosting" even if your project are legal (i.e freedom of speech) they don't want nothing touching their company. And also avoiding abuses.

Portugal is not the best country for freedom of speech, DMCA ignored.

Rússia, Moldova, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Ukraine, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland

@Malin said:
    Dotsi seems pretty much abandoned. SSL expired 402 days ago and HostBill is full or errors

I highly recommend you check the network of Dotsi they have a strong network..

Like I Said, they might be focusing in blazingfast

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • TejyTejy Member
    edited July 2021

@BKKHK said:

@Tejy said:

It’s not just that, first of all the VAT tax on all goods is 23%, one of the highest ones in good ole’ Europe compared to Spain, France, etc…

Then the country telecoms are gridlocked by the Altice Group, the country has like 2 ISPs being meo.pt and nos.pt, they are non competitive, the service is quite okay’ish but the fares are complete nonsense.

Living in Portugal it is better to have a SIM card from another EU country with unlimited data caps for 9€ a month and then EU roam here than having a local Portuguese SIM card with horrible data caps.

Portugal has yet to do it’s digital revolution, compared to it’s siblings neighbour Spain, this is the Stone Age.

AFAIK, nos.pt is owned by Sonae, which also own the largest supermarket brand in Portugal, called "Continente".

Also, I'm currently living in France, where we can get an mobile SIM card with all unmetered (phone, text, data LTE/5G) for 15€.
    I can also enjoy for my house, a fiber offer at 49€ (in a complete bundle):
    -Amazon Prime
    -Netflix Standard
    -8Gbps in Download and 2Gbps in Upload

Altice, is also available in French, via SFR which was their main company, before the purchase of PT Telecom by Altice.

NOS in Portugal is offering an unmetered SIM card for one month at 25€/month prepaid (I've used it with more than 2TB traffic/month without any issue during few month).
    We can't find any equivalent offer in France.
    But I agree with you that DSL/fiber offers are really expensive in Portugal.

Also, in Germany, mobile and DSL/fiber offers are really expensive, as their server pricing (as Hetzner) is really cheap.
    I think that no ones really want to invest in Portugal, as market is so small.

Thanked by 1BKKHK
  • @BKKHK said:

The best and cheapest option you're going to find is Blazingfast: 1 Core, 1GB RAM, 40GB NVME, 1Gbps.

It's super hard to find Gigabit in Portugal, and for only 5€ you won't find it anywhere else.

https://my.blazingfast.io/cart/ssd-cloud-server-v2--lis-pt--/

Coupon: LET-VIBES

PS: I'm not a provider, just listing the deal avalaible here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3246708#Comment_3246708

Thanked by 1BKKHK
  • BKKHKBKKHK Member

@danielcardosopt Hey, thanks for your post.

I might just go with that offer.

Will have to check if they have a LG with servers in Portugal I can run a few traces/pings from and to.

Obrigado.

Thanked by 1danielcardosopt
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@BKKHK said:

Thanks!

DMCA ignored?
    Heh. Just forget that.

Btw there's also www.xervers.pt

• BKKHKBKKHK Member

I just subscribed for a month to blazingfast.io; a bit shook at the fact they handle the credit card charging process themselves rather than using a "known" certified 3rd party partner for payments; hoping they are not storing my credit card details (let alone in plain text).

Will report how it went in a few days.

• BKKHKBKKHK Member

@MikePT said:

@BKKHK said:

DMCA ignored?
    Heh. Just forget that.

Why is that so? Care to elaborate?

• @BKKHK said:

Portugal is not a DMCA free or DMCA ignored country. Sharing pirated content is illegal according to Portuguese laws, but at the same time our piracy laws are yet a bit "poor".
    Don't get me wrong, if you want to download content it's up to you, but don't share content yourself.
    Our ISP are required to block sites like TPB and other that share illegal content on their default DNS (but changing DNS easily surpasses this).
    IPTV, Card Sharing and any other services that share or provide illegal TV streaming are a bit more problematic. Our police recently closed down an IPTV service here hosted in the north of Portugal and they are facing up to 5 years in jail and some big fines.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@BKKHK said:

@Tejy said:

I'm sorry but... Are you even from Portugal? If you are then damn, you need to update yourself. Digital Revolution > @BKKHK said:

@MikePT said:

@BKKHK said:

DMCA ignored?
    Heh. Just forget that.

Portugal complies to DMCA / EUCD.

edited July 2021

@danielcardosopt said:

@BKKHK said:

Portugal is not a DMCA free or DMCA ignored country. Sharing pirated content is illegal according to Portuguese laws, but at the same time our piracy laws are yet a bit "poor".
    Don't get me wrong, if you want to download content it's up to you, but don't share content yourself.
    Our ISP are required to block sites like TPB and other that share illegal content on their default DNS (but changing DNS easily surpasses this).
    IPTV, Card Sharing and any other services that share or provide illegal TV streaming are a bit more problematic. Our police recently closed down an IPTV service here hosted in the north of Portugal and they are facing up to 5 years in jail and some big fines.

And saying that vs Spain we live in the Stone Age is ridiculous. Portugal is in fact very advanced IT wise

Btw, there's also Vodafone and a few other ISPs, not just two.

edited July 2021

@Tejy said:

@BKKHK said:

@Tejy said:

AFAIK, nos.pt is owned by Sonae, which also own the largest supermarket brand in Portugal, called "Continente".

Also, I'm currently living in France, where we can get an mobile SIM card with all unmetered (phone, text, data LTE/5G) for 15€.
    I can also enjoy for my house, a fiber offer at 49€ (in a complete bundle):
    -Amazon Prime
    -Netflix Standard
    -8Gbps in Download and 2Gbps in Upload

Altice, is also available in French, via SFR which was their main company, before the purchase of PT Telecom by Altice.

NOS in Portugal is offering an unmetered SIM card for one month at 25€/month prepaid (I've used it with more than 2TB traffic/month without any issue during few month).
    We can't find any equivalent offer in France.
    But I agree with you that DSL/fiber offers are really expensive in Portugal.

Also, in Germany, mobile and DSL/fiber offers are really expensive, as their server pricing (as Hetzner) is really cheap.
    I think that no ones really want to invest in Portugal, as market is so small.

France is cheaper in terms of internet connection.
    I pay 35 eur for 500/500mbps, Vodafone, Unmetered, with plenty of TV Channels. It's still affordable.

Data cap on mobile sucks indeed. Super expensive.
    Nowadays you can get 10 GB 4G for like 10€/mo if you're lucky to find those promotions.

Datacenter hosting is also pretty expensive. Bandwidth is the issue even though we have plenty of bw available.

I can tell you that, vodafone fiber, residential, you can always download / upload full speed, well not always but most times certainly depending on the central you're connected to. In my case I found a nice deal for symmetrical internet connection, it's usually 200/100, 400/100, 500/200 and so on.
    We do have an offer for 50€ 1Gbps Unmetered, used to be symmetrical too.

• Hosthatch spain vps.

• @MikePT said:
    Portugal is in fact very advanced IT wise.

This ^. @BKKHK Let me start by throwing some facts:

• Outsystems is Portuguese
    • Portugal is one of the countries that leads FTTH and Fiber in rural areas
    • Web Summit is conducted in Portugal
    • Portugal is a pioneer in IOT

And their are many many more things to talk about Portugal and IT. But can easily find a lot of information on a simple Google search.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • BKKHKBKKHK Member
    edited July 2021

Geeze you guys @MikePT and @danielcardosopt are turning this thread into a weird one.
    I was looking for a cheap VPS hosted in Lisbon, I found one, I'm tempted to say /thread.

And yes I'm Portuguese; I just arrived to settle/retire from elsewhere in Western Europe and I'm used to offers like residential fiber 300M/100M for 14.99€ a month (for the first year), mobile plans with no silly datacaps or caps realistically too high to attain like 100GB/month datacaps for 9.99€ a month with 50GB of EU Roaming, etc, etc.

In comparison; everything here in PT seems super expensive, the mobile market is awful, the residential one seems not much better and the hosting well someone said it above better than I would have myself; this country needs inovation.

In fact the current PT internet market reminisces of the French one in the mid 90's and the early 2000's with 3 main operators Orange FR, SFR (Altice scumbags!) and Bouygues Telecom not competing and selling 512kbit ADSL for a whopping 45€ a month... that was until a new challenger named Free.fr appeared out of nowhere and began offering the same services if not better for a 10th of the prices forcing the 3 operators to drop their prices as well.

MEO and NOS are controlling the Portuguese market very hard; they need a hard slap and to get taught a lesson.

/thread.

Edit: As for the DMCA part; we all know DMCA's are a joke, torrenting off a VPS should be fine/implicitely allowed or permitted as long as you don't share 4TB a month, everyone has their opinion on the subject; this is a "heated debate" for another day; another time; another place.

@BKKHK said:
    Geeze you guys @MikePT and @danielcardosopt are turning this thread into a weird one.
    I was looking for a cheap VPS hosted in Lisbon, I found one, I'm tempted to say /thread.

And yes I'm Portuguese; I just arrived to settle/retire from elsewhere in Western Europe and I'm used to offers like residential fiber 300M/100M for 14.99€ a month (for the first year), mobile plans with no silly datacaps or caps realistically too high to attain like 100GB/month datacaps for 9.99€ a month with 50GB of EU Roaming, etc, etc.

In comparison; everything here in PT seems super expensive, the mobile market is awful, the residential one seems not much better and the hosting well someone said it above better than I would have myself; this country needs inovation.

In fact the current PT internet market reminisces of the French one in the mid 90's and the early 2000's with 3 main operators Orange FR, SFR (Altice scumbags!) and Bouygues Telecom not competing and selling 512kbit ADSL for a whopping 45€ a month... that was until a new challenger named Free.fr appeared out of nowhere and began offering the same services if not better for a 10th of the prices forcing the 3 operators to drop their prices as well.

MEO and NOS are controlling the Portuguese market very hard; they need a hard slap and to get taught a lesson.

/thread.

Edit: As for the DMCA part; we all know DMCA's are a joke, torrenting off a VPS should be fine/implicitely allowed or permitted as long as you don't share 4TB a month, everyone has their opinion on the subject; this is a "heated debate" for another day; another time; another place.

Yet you mention MEO and NOS control everything. While Vodafone is huge. Your comparison to France in the 90s is non sense.

So we live in stone age because it's more expensive. But very reliable.

We live in stone age with companies such as SIBS who invented Multibanco, mbway and so on.

DMCA/EUCD aren't a joke in Portugal. It looks like you're very outdated.

Anyway /thread for me. Ridiculous.

• BKKHKBKKHK Member

Hard to disagree with you on this one, but looks like we have too many snowflakes from PT on this forum to admit the truth.

As they say: Truth hurts.

Have a nice day!