Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server in north central US
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server in north central US

Hi all, I cannot for the life of me find a good dedicated server host in the following states:

Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa. My web application is extremely latency sensitive so I need a server somewhere in one of these states to provide good service. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

if youre looking for one in those states on a "Low End" budget, then you're probably out of luck.

• Chicago is your best bet

Thanked by 1bruh21
  • Just curious, what kind of web application is it?

• ktb92677ktb92677 Member
    edited July 2021

@bruh21 said:
    if youre looking for one in those states on a "Low End" budget, then you're probably out of luck.

Actually, my budget is pretty decent (I know I know this probably isn't the right site, but I am desperate!!)

• @imgmoney said:
    Just curious, what kind of web application is it?

DAAS

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

https://www.madgenius.com/index.php/dedicated-servers/

in minneapolis
    never used them but theyve apparently been around for a while and i saw them on leb

• @SirFoxy said:
    Chicago is your best bet

Chicago is just too far out, are there really no good dedicated hosts in this area?

• @ktb92677 said:

@SirFoxy said:
    Chicago is your best bet

Chicago is just too far out, are there really no good dedicated hosts in this area?

I live in what most consider the northern central us, and everything is either routed through Dallas or Chicago.

• @SirFoxy said:

@ktb92677 said:

@SirFoxy said:
    Chicago is your best bet

I live in what most consider the northern central us, and everything is either routed through Dallas or Chicago.

What is your latency like to Chicago?

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited July 2021

@ktb92677 said:

@SirFoxy said:

@ktb92677 said:

@SirFoxy said:
    Chicago is your best bet

What is your latency like to Chicago?

No specific reference given but 36ms to Quadranet Chicago & 19 ms to Quadranet Dallas (Cox).

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

If Idaho is fine check out Ionswitch's colocation there.

• zorkerzorker Member

https://sdncommunications.com/ is a Colo in SD. I'm not sure they offer VPS but you could contact them. I used to Colo with https://dakotacarrier.com/ in ND. They don't list VPS but I know they offer it.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

How about Denver?

~ SMARTHOST

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Most of these states are going to backhaul traffic somewhere else to a bigger city. You likely would be best served by figuring out where the traffic goes and putting your servers there.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited July 2021

@qps said:
    Most of these states are going to backhaul traffic somewhere else to a bigger city. You likely would be best served by figuring out where the traffic goes and putting your servers there.

Exactly. I pinged SmartHost Denver, mentioned above, which I live closer to than Chicago or Dallas but got an average latency of 42ms, higher than both Dallas, or Chicago.

It routed through Dallas, then to Denver.

• @ktb92677 if you know what networks your clients are on (ATT FIber, Spectrum, Google Fiber, FiOS, etc etc), it gives you a better chance of finding a provider that has transit on those networks. Like the others said you can be geographically close, but ping time higher - depending on networks

Example, I am in Raleigh, NC - I am 3 miles or less from one of the providers on LET. Yet when I ping his server my transit goes to Atlanta and then back to his server. In my case, simply using a server in ATL cuts my ping time in half (so I use firebase by google).

So it depends on what networks people have, what transit you pay for, and where things are located. (As others pointed out)

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Interesting... We've game server customers in ND and MN who are happy with Chicago connectivity. We also have VPS customers in MT and WY who are happy with Seattle connectivity. I think it all depends on how and where your ISP is routing.

I think the suggestions to figure out what ISP your customers are on and put your servers where they route is your best bet.

Additionally, when you do have a server at a major hub, try asking the provider if they can do a custom route to your server for a targeted area, they may oblige.