Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Object Storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Object Storage

mustafammustafam Member
edited July 2021 in General

The best object storage, by far, is Amazon S3. Fastest, most durable. Only drawback is egress cost, which is $0.09.

Was looking at Backblaze B2, Vultr Object Storage, Linode, DO Spaces, OVH.
Most of these have (major) drawbacks (e.g. Linode only allows 50TB), but OVH seems promising on paper.

So, does anyone have experience with OVH? Specifically:

1. Uptime of service
  2. Speed of get/put operations
  3. Durability (e.g. has your data been corrupted)

Please also mention much data do you host at OVH, and for how long.

Comments

• cazrzcazrz Member

If you are not willing to drop those point 1,2,3 over cost then just stick with AWS.
    Else any of the alternatives should be fine.

• @cazrz said:
    If you are not willing to drop those point 1,2,3 over cost then just stick with AWS.

Oh that's depressing. Do you say this with first-hand experience of OVH?

• @mustafam said:

@cazrz said:

Oh that's depressing. Do you say this with first-hand experience of OVH?

AWS charges those prices for a reason. For extreme reliability they're the only choice.

But, if you lower your requirements somewhat, I've used scaleway object storage and it was pretty okay. I didn't face any downtime or corruption, but come on, unless it's cociu you don't have downtime or corruption every day.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2021

OVH mixes with neither premium nor quality.

Thanked by 3angelius o_be_one v3ng
  • vovlervovler Member

OVH has a storage offering with https://hubic.com/
    Now... I can't say quality and speed-wise that OVH Object Storage = Hubic.
    But Hubic is pretty much one of the worse... so... yeah.

• I really believe running Minio is your best option.

I had a hard time setting it up with SSL - I had to use NGINX (it may have gotten easier) but I've run it for 3 years and there is literally 0 maintenance.

If you can find a good provider it's a pretty easy roll your own solution.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @sidewinder said:
    I really believe running Minio is your best option.

I had a hard time setting it up with SSL - I had to use NGINX (it may have gotten easier) but I've run it for 3 years and there is literally 0 maintenance.

This is not comparable at all with AWS S3 ...
    S3 is replicated in 6 DC ... Your minio instance is not

• Best setup is to have your data is S3 and some cache servers in hetzner for eg ... This way you have AWS S3 durability with cheap egress cost

• @angelius said:
    Best setup is to have your data is S3 and some cache servers in hetzner for eg ... This way you have AWS S3 durability with cheap egress cost

This is exactly what we were thinking. But it's more moving parts. But I guess you can't have everything. Has anyone done this? How was your experience?

• sidewindersidewinder Member
    edited July 2021

@angelius said:

@sidewinder said:
    I really believe running Minio is your best option.

S3 is replicated in 6 DC ... Your minio instance is not

No but with a good provider + external snapshots + provider snapshots can assure you it's a really good option if you are looking to save $$.. Chances of losing data is almost impossible.

If you need it replicated around the planet, you can probably roll your own solution as well with Minio. Unless you are some massive Fortune 500 company i don't get the need for AWS at all.

Minio rocks.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @angelius said:
    S3 is replicated in 6 DC ... Your minio instance is not.

Minio is easy to setup in distributed mode. I have 4 servers configured in distributed mode. Two are local region and the other 2 are on the USA east coast. Easily expandable to as many servers as you need / require.

https://docs.min.io/docs/distributed-minio-quickstart-guide.html

• @Weblogics said:
    Minio is easy to setup in distributed mode. I have 4 servers configured in distributed mode. Two are local region and the other 2 are on the USA east coast. Easily expandable to as many servers as you need / require.

Minio is way too low-level for us right now. We definitely don't want to be managing data ourselves. I think a great compromise that was mentioned is to use S3, and then a bunch of cheap cache servers. And then use these as an origin to a cheap CDN.

• Scaleway has free traffic in the same DC. So you can place a cloud instance in front of object storage in same region.

• TejyTejy Member

@rick2610 said:
    Scaleway has free traffic in the same DC. So you can place a cloud instance in front of object storage in same region.

+1 for this tip. Scaleway and Wasabi are the cheapest S3 providers.

• @Tejy said:

@rick2610 said:
    Scaleway has free traffic in the same DC. So you can place a cloud instance in front of object storage in same region.

+1 for this tip. Scaleway and Wasabi are the cheapest S3 providers.

Wasabi has a complex price model with minimum storage duration and if your bandwidth use is higher than the storage, you get billed.

• cazrzcazrz Member

AWS S3 + bunnycdn

• Regarding BackBlaze B2, reminder that you can strike out all egress bandwidth costs if you pass through Cloudflare.

The same thing if your VPS is with Vultr or Scaleway (and some others).

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @cazrz said:
    AWS S3 + bunnycdn

That's exactly what we were thinking. BunnyCDN has a nice origin shield. But not nice enough. So, we're basically creating a custom origin shield via cheap, high-storage dedicated servers.

• @rick2610 said:

Why would I want to do that? That just adds one more moving part, with no benefit, except for a few TB free bandwidth via the VPS. But that can't scale, I'm not here to save pennies. If I was using Scaleway, I would use Object Storage directly. Scaleway could nonetheless be great. But million dollar question: Is Scaleway Object Storage reliable/durable?

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2021

I've used Scaleway's Object Storage for a long time, it has been very, very reliable for me and the client I use it for.

We have a few TBs but I would be comfortable scaling with them way beyond that. I don't use anything else from Scaleway though.

I tend to use Google Cloud if we're able to put CloudFlare in-front of it though. (or Microsoft Azure if its a public sector/enterprise user).

• @mustafam said:

@rick2610 said:

Why would I want to do that? That just adds one more moving part, with no benefit, except for a few TB free bandwidth via the VPS. But that can't scale, I'm not here to save pennies. If I was using Scaleway, I would use Object Storage directly. Scaleway could nonetheless be great. But million dollar question: Is Scaleway Object Storage reliable/durable?

Your initial post was about AWS egress costs is too high.

• mustafammustafam Member
    edited July 2021

@rick2610 said:

Sorry about the confusion. Mistake on my part for not explaining properly. We will be using a CDN, so the bandwidth will be fed to a CDN. You might think if this is the case, then don't waste time optimizing this. But imagine the CDN fetches 500TB from origin. This is over $30k on S3 with volume discounts. I really should have added this to my initial post, now I can't edit it. Oh well.

On Scaleway, at 0.01, this is <$4000 with volume discounts. So, no need to use a VPS proxy. Can just use Scaleway object storage directly to feed the CDN.

• @mustafam said:

@rick2610 said:

Sorry about the confusion. Mistake on my part for not explaining properly. We will be using a CDN, so the bandwidth will be fed to a CDN. You might think if this is the case, then don't waste time optimizing this. But imagine the CDN fetches 500TB from origin. This is over $30k on S3 with volume discounts. I really should have added this to my initial post, now I can't edit it. Oh well.

On Scaleway, at 0.01, this is <$4000 with volume discounts. So, no need to use a VPS proxy. Can just use Scaleway object storage directly to feed the CDN.

Ok thanks for the explanation.

I switched from AWS to Scaleway. I store around 10TB, no problems so far. AWS is superior on management, replication, access rights etc. But if you dont need that SCW is ok.

I tried Backblaze EU location but upload is 10x times slower than AWS/SCW, also lot of read errors and 8 hours downtime in two months. So i would avoid their EU location.

• @rick2610 said:
    I tried Backblaze EU location but upload is 10x times slower than AWS/SCW, also lot of read errors and 8 hours downtime in two months. So i would avoid their EU location.

Backblaze B2 is amazing on paper. Admin is pretty nice too. In reality, it is not reliable. In fact, they have a mandatory downtime every Thursday from 2-3pm. And there are other things, like pre-signed URLs can't specify a file limit, which is a deal breaker for many.

• @mustafam said:

@Weblogics said:

Minio is way too low-level for us right now. We definitely don't want to be managing data ourselves. I think a great compromise that was mentioned is to use S3, and then a bunch of cheap cache servers. And then use these as an origin to a cheap CDN.

There is nothing to manage - once it's set up it just kinda works forever.

• Does it have to be S3 compatible? Bunny.net edge storage could work for you if not.

• @Brend4n
    We were using Bunny Storage before. In fact, I talked to Dejan (the founder) about cheap local triple-replicated storage (not geo-replicated). Geo-replicated is not something we need right now. It doubles the price, and I think geo-replicated is more brittle. But, you know what, I know Dejan is pretty smart, and maybe durability is high on their list. I'll send them a message to see the viability of this.

Bunny also did not have no pre-signed url uploads. So, any client upload what need to be proxied through us. This is a major inconvenience, but not a show-stopper.