Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for providers: How do you handle large scale os upgrades?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question for providers: How do you handle large scale os upgrades?

angeliusangelius Member
edited July 2021 in General

How did you handled Ubuntu 16 / Debian EOL on your fleet of servers?
What about customers VMs? Do you still have some of them with very old versions?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Do not inform clients and just do it.

Let them suffer. They deserve the pain.

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

@deank said:

The provider would have to manage not to deadpool first and be open long enough to see a new OS release.

• Have my 13 yr old sister do the upgrades

Thanked by 1MrH
  • @Ian_Dot_Tech said:

@deank said:

The provider would have to manage not to deadpool first and be open long enough to see a new OS release.

Dreading that Centos upgrade bro!

• databossdataboss Member
    edited July 2021

@seriesn just get get sick or bored and close the company, ... because reasons. LOL

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @databoss said:
    @seriesn just get get sick or bored and close the company, ... because reasons. LOL

After 5 summer, I am too far into this game. Can't quit now. Gotta feed the family ya know!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2021

You wait a bit after public release, pull a test system, patch it.
    If everything runs fine, you continue update a system here and there.

I even had Debian 8 machines still running when Debian 10 was released since a bit.

Thanked by 1MrH
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@seriesn said: Gotta feed the family

Oh...free food is another family perk?

Thanked by 1caracal
  • TeYroXTeYroX Member

@raindog308 said:

Yes, free pizza every weekend! You should join to family :smiley:

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@angelius said:
    How did you handled Ubuntu 16 / Debian EOL on your fleet of servers?

I was in charge of a VM host node in college.
    I installed Ubuntu 12.04, which EOL in 2017.
    I thought I would be graduated by then, so that the next grad student would have to deal with upgrades.
    Then my graduation got delayed by one year, so I had to do the upgrades.

I emailed every user that there would be a 3-day extended maintenance window.
    I moved all the virtual disk files to a second HDD, and then reinstalled the OS on the first HDD.
    Then I created new user accounts and readded their SSH public keys.
    User can boot up their VM in VirtualBox as usual, like nothing happened.

This machine is 9 years old now.
    I hear the HDD has finally dead, and there's no RAID or backups.
    The grad student in charge now has been trying to fix it for over a week, but it's still down.

What about customers VMs? Do you still have some of them with very old versions?

VMs for undergrads (teaching use) are terminated at end of semester.
    The next semester, new students get fresh versions.

VMs for grad students (research use) are kept.
    User is responsible for upgrades.
    If they don't, lab staff finds vulnerability and emails me, and I forward email to the user and their advisor.

@raindog308 said:

I know there used to be popcorns, but @ankursharma8715 @sdglhm @aqua want mangoes.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2021

@yoursunny said:
    I know there used to be popcorns, but @ankursharma8715 @sdglhm @aqua want mangoes.

Apricots are far better. I have been eating some fresh ones every single morning with my cup of coffee here in Europe.

I've only had to do this once, and it was for a CentOS 6 VM I was running. I backed it up to Mega.nz (it was a server I ran with my favorite movies that I watch on a monthly-bimonthly basis) and did the upgrade and reverted all files back onto the VM, a done deal.

Regarding clients, I do not access their data without permission, and that means I will not do the upgrade for them. I removed all EOL'd templates from my library and only accept tickets from users that understand that it is EOL'd and want to play with fire.

Thanked by 2yoursunny angelius
  • @yoursunny said: I know there used to be popcorns, but @ankursharma8715 @sdglhm @aqua want mangoes.

Oh.... You.... I forgot to buy some mangos since the last few weeks been really hectic. Now I need mangos again.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@aqua said:
    Regarding clients, I do not access their data without permission, and that means I will not do the upgrade for them. I removed all EOL'd templates from my library and only accept tickets from users that understand that it is EOL'd and want to play with fire.

This is a good strategy.
    If I start "outdated OS template hall of vulnerable" someday, you can feel proud that you won't be listed.

@sdglhm said:

@yoursunny said: I know there used to be popcorns, but @ankursharma8715 @sdglhm @aqua want mangoes.

Oh.... You.... I forgot to buy some mangos since the last few weeks been really hectic. Now I need mangos again.

Mangoes are $4.50 for six.
    Lychees are $10 for two boxes.

If I replace these expensive fruits with apples and bananas, I would be able to afford a KS-7.

Every thread is a mango thread.

• @yoursunny said: Mangoes are $4.50 for six.

Lychees are $10 for two boxes.

If I replace these expensive fruits with apples and bananas, I would be able to afford a KS-7.

Every thread is a mango thread.

Here it's about $2.50 per Kilo of Mango (Something called TJC). Seems I can probably afford a BuyVM slice if I don't get mangos. Lychees are not that much available here. But you can get the next similar thing Rambutan. I bought like 20 thingies for about $1 yesterday and now they are finished. :disappointed:

Thanked by 1yoursunny