Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AlphaVPS - Fast, Reliable & Production-ready EPYC KVM in Europe | Storage VPS back in stock!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AlphaVPS - Fast, Reliable & Production-ready EPYC KVM in Europe | Storage VPS back in stock!

AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

AlphaVPS

AlphaVPS is a leading IaaS provider in Europe, offering Premium Cloud VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Connectivity, and custom solutions out of 5 worldwide locations. Operating since 2013 and based out of Europe. Our offices are located in Sofia, Bulgaria. We are staffed around the clock and our team is fully in-house with zero outsourcing. We run our network under AS203380, own our hardware and our Sofia office is located inside the Telepoint DataCenter in our flagship Sofia location, just above our equipment.

We're very happy to announce our updated range (Gen 2) of KVM VPS, based on AMD EPYC CPUs, DDR4 ECC memory, and blazing fast enterprise NVMe arrays, built for production use!

AlphaVPS

*An actual photo of a new build

AlphaVPS will be deploying new server infrastructure, based on the AMD EPYC 7002 and 7003 server platform in all of our locations throughout the following months and gradually adding Gen2 stock per each location we upgrade!

Germany is now live, in addition to Bulgaria!

If you're looking for a RELIABLE and FAST, Production-ready VPS, don't wait until it's too late!

EPYC-2G
2GB DDR4 ECC RAM
10GB NVMe Storage
1x vCPU @ 3.0Ghz+ core (AMD EPYC)
1TB of Bandwidth
1x IPv4 + /64 native IPv6
KVM virtualization
€3.99/month
ORDER NOW!

EPYC-4G
4GB DDR4 ECC RAM
25GB NVMe Storage
1x vCPU @ 3.0Ghz+ core (AMD EPYC)
2TB of Bandwidth
1x IPv4 + /64 native IPv6
KVM virtualization
€4.99/month
ORDER NOW!

Larger plans are available over HERE!
Hint: EPYC-8G Plan is the best value!

We also have some amazing storage KVM plans for your backups! Based on RAID60 HDD arrays.

512MB RAM - 128GB HDD - 1x vCPU - 0.5TB Bandwidth - 15€/year - ORDER NOW
768MB RAM - 256GB HDD - 1x vCPU - 1TB Bandwidth - 25€/year - ORDER NOW
1GB RAM - 512GB HDD - 2x vCPU - 1.5TB Bandwidth - 3.5€/month - ORDER NOW
2GB RAM - 1TB HDD - 2x vCPU - 3TB Bandwidth - 5€/month - ORDER NOW

Dedicated servers, available in Sofia, Bulgaria

Dual Intel Xeon L5630 - 16GB DDR3 ECC - 128GB SSD - 10TB BW - 30.00EUR/m - ORDER NOW
Dual Intel Xeon L5630 - 16GB DDR3 ECC - 1TB HDD - 10TB BW - 30.00EUR/m - ORDER NOW

Dual Intel Xeon E5-2630L - 16GB DDR3 ECC - 1TB HDD - 10TB BW - 40.00EUR/m - ORDER NOW
Dual Intel Xeon E5-2630L - 16GB DDR3 ECC - 240GB SSD - 10TB BW - 40.00EUR/m - ORDER NOW

Dual Intel Xeon E5-2450L - 16GB DDR3 ECC - 1TB HDD - 10TB BW - 40.00EUR/m - ORDER NOW
Dual Intel Xeon E5-2450L - 16GB DDR3 ECC - 240GB SSD - 10TB BW - 40.00EUR/m - ORDER NOW

Dual Intel Xeon E5-2650 - 16GB DDR3 ECC - 500GB SSD - 10TB BW - 59.00EUR/m - ORDER NOW
Dual Intel Xeon E5-2650 - 16GB DDR3 ECC - 3TB HDD - 10TB BW - 59.00EUR/m - ORDER NOW

We offer an intuitive control panel for all dedicated servers, with easy access to Boot/Shutdown/Restart and Reinstall, along with network usage graphs!

Network information:
Sofia, Bulgaria - 79.124.7.8 - http://lgbg.alphavps.com/
Nuremberg, Germany - 194.35.12.68 - http://lgde.alphavps.com/

We run an enterprise network, based on fully redundant Juniper MX and Juniper QFX network equipment.

Comments

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

Reliable is an understatement. I've been a customer for over three years.
    In the last 261 days I show a 99.999% uptime on my Sofia VPS.
    For a production service they also have the required extremely fast ticket response time. (although none of my tickets were service failure related)
    Kudos AlphaVPS for being one of the great providers in this community.

Thanked by 1dosai
  • @FrankZ said:
    For a production service they also have the required extremely fast ticket response time. (although none of my tickets were service failure related)

@TheLinuxBug had issues that we're not fixed and @AlexBarakov didn't care.

Amazing service which doesn't care a shit.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited July 2021

@alexvolk - I was just relating my personal experience with AlphaVPS.
    Could you PM me a link to the issue you are speaking of?
    never mind I found it.

EDIT2:

@alexvolk said: @TheLinuxBug had issues that we're not fixed and @AlexBarakov didn't care.

After reading about the issue TheLinuxBug related, I question the statement you made above saying that "@AlexBarakov didn't care."

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3241497#Comment_3241497

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@FrankZ said:

Thank you very much for your kind words! We've been heavily investing in our infrastructure and will continue doing so. Some interesting changes are coming this summer.

@alexvolk - That's simply not correct. @TheLinuxBug was contacted via a PM and as soon as we get a response and be able to track him down, see what went wrong with the tickets and inform him of the options that would be available for him - be it more details for the issue he's having or another option for a resolution. He's not the only client we have from LET and I simply don't know who he is. We get a lot of tickets across the brands on daily basis and I can't keep track of every single one of them. We've been around here for a long time and I can assure you that we care about every single client and I am sure that many would be able to confirm that.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2021

@AlexBarakov said: @alexvolk - That's simply not correct. @TheLinuxBug was contacted via a PM and as soon as we get a response and be able to track him down, see what went wrong with the tickets and inform him of the options that would be available for him - be it more details for the issue he's having or another option for a resolution. He's not the only client we have from LET and I simply don't know who he is. We get a lot of tickets across the brands on daily basis and I can't keep track of every single one of them. We've been around here for a long time and I can assure you that we care about every single client and I am sure that many would be able to confirm that.

You didn't need to PM me or track anything. You knew exactly what I was talking about as evidenced by the notification I got this time (for the first time) (surprise surprise 30 days after the last issue) noting the same 'kernel lockup' issue that has been ongoing now for over a year. I am also pretty confident you knew what I was referring to after my very first post, but didn't want to admit it.

--

From AlphaVPS - Date: 2021-06-21 11:15 am
    Hello,

You are receiving this email, because you have an active service with us on our sofkmv04 node. Due to a lock-up and a kernel panic, we were forced to reboot the host node. Virtual machines are slowly booting up and reachability will be restored to every VPS in the next 15 minutes.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused!

AlphaVPS

--

Kudos though for dredging up the issue again so I could point out the obvious fact that you still haven't fixed / replaced / changed anything regarding this ongoing issue.

At this point the service is so unreliable I have just given up on it as it isn't worth having my services go down every 30 days because you can't maintain / replace a failing server. As such, I guess I will just let it idle until its next renewal since it seems you have no plan to ever address this beyond rebooting the HV every 30 days when it locks up.

P.S. Please don't confuse this with me wanting my money back, the money is spent, what I want is you to take responsibility for the issue and fix it without your customers having to publicly shame you into doing it. The reality is, I shouldn't have to come here and do this at all, this stuff should just be fixed / replaced when there is a known, repeating issue.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1alexvolk

I have PMed you once again regarding this.

• @AlexBarakov any discounts on annual payments on the storage plans?

edited July 2021

@ramesh_vish said:
    @AlexBarakov any discounts on annual payments on the storage plans?

Nah, unfortunately prices are already low enough. With Chia happening, HDD prices are up by 40% and we are on the last 150TB of available space. Maybe later this year, when things normalise.

• Thanks.. Alex

edited July 2021

I believe a full disclosure here is necessary, after receiving a pm from @TheLinuxBug and after taking an in-depth look throughout the node stats.

First, I'd like to start with the average service uptime - here is the current node uptime according to StatusCake monitoring, taken from http checks towards something hosted on the host node (to avoid false positives when the server is pinging, but not really reachable) - https://i.imgur.com/lpfuDt5.png . Since January, there have been a total of 7 node reboots, all of which looked to be caused by software.

Obviously, this is not the level of services anyone would like to offer including us and I agree that server reboots should not be happening at these intervals. Compared to a node, that's in the same rack, the difference is pretty noticeable and that's actually towards what we aim for: https://i.imgur.com/bhnl8mc.png .

In regards to the issue itself - throughout the whole span of debugging what causes each reboot, my team has applied different, unsuccessful patches. At one point, we thought we hit a bad kernel patch. At another point, we thought we caused it by updating a driver. In all cases, such issues are very hard to debug, due to them happening at random long intervals, for example, the time between two of the reboots are:
    Wed Dec 16 and Wed Feb 3

Just so we're clear, on multiple occasions, we believed the issue should have been resolved.

In all cases - the plans were to have everyone off the older generation KVM nodes by this time, however with the chip shortage and RAM pricing to the moon, everything got delayed. The migrations have already started, unfortunately, they are going at a much slower pace than I wanted.

That all being said, we'll spin up an identical node to sofkvm04 ASAP and schedule migration of whoever is left on this node to happen in the following weeks. After taking a closer look into the stats, I do find it's an overdue thing to do on our side and I am sorry for the inconvenience we've caused. The truth is that I initially mislooked the severity of the issue, as I thought the reboots were not at all frequent and that it was the usual exaggeration of LET. Our team in Sofia handles pretty much everything related to operations these days and until today I have not taken a more in-depth look towards this specific node as overall performance and uptime. I guess I've missed some of them.

Alex

• @AlexBarakov this type of reply I have personally expected from you previously.

You're a LET member for a long time, not some kind of marketing guy who shows a middle finger and basically forwards to create a ticket without having a look.

Anyways, sounds nice! Let's hope @TheLinuxBug issues will be resolved and he would happily use the server that he has paid.

Thanked by 1AlexBarakov

@alexvolk said:
    @AlexBarakov this type of reply I have personally expected from you previously.

You're a LET member for a long time, not some kind of marketing guy who shows a middle finger and basically forwards to create a ticket without having a look.

Anyways, sounds nice! Let's hope @TheLinuxBug issues will be resolved and he would happily use the server that he has paid.

Sorry. I thought it was an exaggeration and the regular thread trashing in LET. I am completely at fault here for these responses.

We've been overwhelmed this year with the development of new features and preparation to launch new products and services and I've completely mislooked this issue. We've grown significantly, our team has grown as well and this thing completely slipped past me (in terms of I did not pay enough attention and missed that there's actually a bigger issue).

• azuanazuan Member

a good service from a good provider. subscribe their service since 01/2019.
    cheap but reliable. if my currency exchange with EUR is lower right now, i will subscribe lots from them. unfortunately i can afford the minimum specs per year price only :p

• I just wanted to stop back by and confirm that @AlexBarakov did take care of customers and get them migrated to a new node. My server was migrated earlier today and I look forward to a return to stability for my services.

Thanks for taking care of your customers @AlexBarakov and getting this looked into!

Cheers!

• @AlexBarakov said:

Sorry. I thought it was an exaggeration and the regular thread trashing in LET. I am completely at fault here for these responses.

nice to see this response, ... home feels like home / host on alphavps

• vernorvernor Member

Can you install Windows OS on Epyc-8gb version?

• @vernor said:
    Can you install Windows OS on Epyc-8gb version?

You install it yourself, sure.

• +1 for AlphaVPS. Fantastic service.