Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Connect NFS Share to Win. 10 Pro PC?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Connect NFS Share to Win. 10 Pro PC?

sgno1sgno1 Member
edited May 2021 in Help

Is there a way to connect a Linux (Ubuntu) NFS Share to my Windows 10 PC? I tried SSHFS but it's too slow, if there are any other faster solutions (excluding FTP since I need it as a mounted drive) then please let me know!

Comments

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited May 2021

Since you mentioned Pro in the title, Windows 10 Pro has native NFS support

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, the higher the latency, the slower it will be and that significant.
    60-80ms can already affect it by a lot.

• sgno1sgno1 Member

@Neoon said:
    Well, the higher the latency, the slower it will be and that significant.
    60-80ms can already affect it by a lot.

I don't really need encryption since I am only giving it access to a host that I know.

• sgno1sgno1 Member

@jmgcaguicla said:

Can't find the feature in my list sadly.

• @sgno1 said:

@jmgcaguicla said:

What list? The linked article doesn't have a list, it has a few PowerShell commands you need to execute to get the NFS Client feature enabled on W10 Pro.

If that doesn't work you're either not running Pro or have a really really really old W10 Pro build.

• sgno1sgno1 Member
    edited May 2021

@jmgcaguicla said:

@sgno1 said:

@jmgcaguicla said:

What list? The linked article doesn't have a list, it has a few PowerShell commands you need to execute to get the NFS Client feature enabled on W10 Pro.

If that doesn't work you're either not running Pro or have a really really really old W10 Pro build.

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature : Feature name ServicesForNFS-ClientOnly is unknown.
    At line:1 char:1

• Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -FeatureName ServicesForNFS-ClientOnly, ...
    • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature], COMException
      • FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.EnableWindowsOptionalFeatureCommand

Just checked, I have Windows 10 Home, I guess it's not supported then?

• @sgno1 said:

@jmgcaguicla said:

@sgno1 said:

@jmgcaguicla said:

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature : Feature name ServicesForNFS-ClientOnly is unknown.

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature], COMException
      • FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.EnableWindowsOptionalFeatureCommand

Yeah it's not supported on Home, thought you had Pro since you mentioned it in the title.

Is running Samba on the server an option? Plays nice with Windows without extra software

• sgno1sgno1 Member

@jmgcaguicla said:

@sgno1 said:

@jmgcaguicla said:

@sgno1 said:

@jmgcaguicla said:

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah it's not supported on Home, thought you had Pro since you mentioned it in the title.

Is running Samba on the server an option? Plays nice with Windows without extra software

My ISP doesn't allow me to open Samba's port (445), I did try to change Samba's port but had no luck with that either sadly. Not sure if there is an alternative. My speeds are being capped to around 5-7 MBps, through Samba (since unencrypted) it would be at least 15-20 MBps.

• JioJio Member

@sgno1 said: My ISP doesn't allow me to open Samba's port (445), I did try to change Samba's port but had no luck with that either sadly. Not sure if there is an alternative. My speeds are being capped to around 5-7 MBps, through Samba (since unencrypted) it would be at least 15-20 MBps.

Wireguard the two hosts and just use 445

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • sgno1sgno1 Member

@Jio said:

@sgno1 said: My ISP doesn't allow me to open Samba's port (445), I did try to change Samba's port but had no luck with that either sadly. Not sure if there is an alternative. My speeds are being capped to around 5-7 MBps, through Samba (since unencrypted) it would be at least 15-20 MBps.

Wireguard the two hosts and just use 445

Isn't the data still encrypted?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited May 2021

@sgno1 said: Isn't the data still encrypted?

So what? It's encrypted while going between the hosts but not at either end.

Why would encryption be bad?

• JioJio Member

@raindog308 said: Why would encryption be bad?

Probably because scp/sshfs performance sucks shit but it is being misconstrued with type of encryption and method.. something like wireguard on top is much more performant than "per-file" transfers

Thanked by 2raindog308 sgno1
  • sgno1sgno1 Member

That only works with SSHFS not NFS

• sgno1sgno1 Member
    edited May 2021

@Jio said:

@raindog308 said: Why would encryption be bad?

Probably because scp/sshfs performance sucks shit but it is being misconstrued with type of encryption and method.. something like wireguard on top is much more performant than "per-file" transfers

Tried to set up Wireguard, can't connect to Samba Share however. I tried every IP that was listed (Public, Private, Wireguard etc). I have also set Samba's share to listen to 0.0.0.0

Can confirm it works over OpenVPN however I can only achieve 10 mbps, hoping to get Wireguard set-up somehow to acheive 15-20 at least.