Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Switch from cPanel/WHM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Switch from cPanel/WHM

Go4MartGo4Mart Member

Due to higher cost, and must hosting providers does not want to work with cPanel, what do you think to switch from cPanel/WHM to?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Directadmin.

It has a full cpanel backup importer and everything.

Many of our users have migrated over with minimal issues. The few bugs we've run into the Directadmin team addressed quickly :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1quickuse
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

DirectAdmin. Thats really the only good answer currently

• Go4MartGo4Mart Member
    edited March 2021

@Francisco @skorupion

So, for manage like WHM, it's Virtualmin right? and how much is it going to cost? said:

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@Go4Mart said: So, for manage like WHM, it's Virtualmin right? and how much is it going to cost? said:

https://www.directadmin.com/pricing.php
    Here is the Pricing of DA, but with many licenses, you can get it even cheaper.

And for management, I'm going to leave that for Francisco to explain

• fbmyfbmy Member

Get ApisCP lifetime license for your own server or vps without subscribing to CloudLinux or Softaculous anymore
    or
    buy vps with free DirectAdmin license or get a monthly license

Thanked by 1vero
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

The obvious choice right now is DirectAdmin. Has all the major functions of cPanel.

Some providers offer it for free. Others offer it for $3-5 (VPS) and $10-15 (bare Metal) with unlimited accounts.

• kaz050457kaz050457 Member
    edited March 2021

Get Apiscp lifetime..

Thanked by 2vero aaronstuder
  • @Go4Mart said:
    @Francisco @skorupion

So, for manage like WHM, it's Virtualmin right? and how much is it going to cost? said:

If you mean the design, you can have a sidebar layout for your admit layer priviledges in DA.

• Take a look at Directadmin demo. Should answer your questions :).

https://www.directadmin.com/demo.php

It is a single panel with different ACL. So no whm/CPanel jumble fuckery.

UI can be customizable, it works. End users won’t really feel much different.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

DirectAdmin for sure.

• Here at the company we are offering Control Web Panel (https://centos-webpanel.com/), aka CWP, to our customers.
    We get great performance for WordPress.
    His license is $12 per year.
    You will suffer a little in the beginning, but you will get used to it.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@kaz050457 said:
    Get Apiscp lifetime..

Words of wisdom. As a bonus you will get an option to use multiple external DNS providers, e.g. Cloudflare (still pink dream for DA).

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

had a client talking to me yesterday about https://www.controlpanel.wiki I have never used it before

i have been a cPanel user for a very long time on my own personal stuff and I have been looking at directadmin myself

Thanked by 1EnginTopcuoglu
  • handyhosthandyhost Member, Host Rep

+1 for DirectAdmin

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2021

@seriesn said:

I really think this theme cheapens DA, their original default theme is fantastic.

• @Lee said:

@seriesn said:

I really think this theme cheapens DA, their original default theme is fantastic.

For CPanel movers, the above theme works well as it makes things “easier”. I like their old old theme (no icon just link).

Thanked by 1coolice
  • AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@seriesn said:
    For CPanel movers, the above theme works well as it makes things “easier”. I like their old old theme (no icon just link).

+1.
    I think this new theme of DA makes the transition from cP a little bit easier even for a non-experienced user.

• systemfreakssystemfreaks Member, Patron Provider

Direct admin still has some issues if you compare it to Cpanel but overall the users get used to it fast, and its compatible.
    i don't like the lack of build-in modules for blesta or whmcs (compare to Cpanel) but overall it's less bloated.
    One issue DM should address is their brute force protection, is Cpanel when an account triggers the protection the account gets locked but in DM the IP gets blocked, its solved in Blesta with the Unbloc IP module but that's for providers who use more than one server or VPS.
    Another issue is the file manager which users tent to dislike.
    If you are using OVH they have quite cheap cpanel dedicated licenses and even Cheaper DM licenses.
    If you have any question reply here i will try to answer in the best of my abilites

• fbmyfbmy Member
    edited March 2021

I have written this in another thread, but it needs to be clarified again here.

do other control panels have Magic like ApisCP ?

The magic comes once you price out third-party licenses that are core features of ApisCP.

1. Softaculous ($1/month) already built into ApisCP’s Web App module.

2. CloudLinux ($10/month) already built into ApisCP. All accounts are jailed to synthetic roots, a feature of ApisCP since its birth in 2002. Resource enforcement, just like in CloudLinux, is powered by cgroups - a native kernel feature.

3. Immunify360 ($45/month) Malware scrubs, DDoS prevention are managed through Rampart in ApisCP. A mod_security hook filters file uploads and sends an alert to block offending IPs.

4. MailChannels ($79/month) - or any smart-host. If you have enough servers and enough diversity in mail, ApisCP can communicate over an rspamd cluster that provides excellent spam mitigation. Clustering is a turnkey feature in Bootstrapper.

5. WP Toolkit. Cloning, snapshots, renames, SSO, "AI updates" (a/k/a just checking page size + status codes) all inclusive.

Regarding security, ApisCP also received a recommendation from Racks911labs https://rack911labs.ca/research/security-analysis-of-alternative-control-panels/

• if more and more providers supports direct admin then one-day cpanel must think about their price hike.

@mhosting_in said:
    if more and more providers support direct admin then one-day Cpanel must think about their price hike.

And then people will get the ability to go back? :)
    Big providers are still able to get cheap licenses, it seems like Cpanel was to squeeze money out from small users.

• @systemfreaks said:

@mhosting_in said:
    if more and more providers support direct admin then one-day Cpanel must think about their price hike.

And then people will get the ability to go back? :)
    Big providers are still able to get cheap licenses, it seems like Cpanel was to squeeze money out from small users.

reseller provider already switches to direct admin or providing both and tries to move direct admin by giving cheap plans.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I do prefer some features in DA, especially their DNS.

A few bits are missing, but I think once their pro pack comes out we will be good :)

@JamesF said:
    I do prefer some features in DA, especially their DNS.

A few bits are missing, but I think once their pro pack comes out we will be good :)

Similar mentality with Cpanel increasing prices, maybe not the same way but the result is the same, i would like to see GIT manager in the main license, and few of the other mentioned feutures.