Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TLDs without whois database
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

TLDs without whois database

jimaekjimaek Member
edited September 2013 in General

I could not find a list of TLDs that do not have a whois database. How about we compile our own? Pretty useful for privacy reasons.

Example of domain on TLD without a whois DB http://whois.domaintools.com/kickass.to

I will update the list as you comment.

Thanked by 1typh0n

Comments

• .do has no standard WHOIS. Only a webbased PHP form that brings contacts names, dns and reg/exp dates. No email. No tel. No mail address.

• .gb

• .so and .ro have very limited info available in whois

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited September 2013

.nl has limited registrar data in the whois.

• .bh

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2013

You could also use a registrar with free privacy protection, such as internet.bs.

• edited September 2013

pastebin.com/48gY9N5k
    List of TLDs which don't have whois server specified in IANA DB

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2013

.si

If a .si domain is registered by a private individual (not a company), only their e-mail address is visible on the whois. This means that privacy protection is included by default for private individuals.

That's required because Slovenian personal data protection act so there's not exception.

http://www.registry.si/whois.html

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited September 2013

That's required because Slovenian personal data protection act so there's not exception.

Romania enacted a similar law a few years ago for .ro names that are registered to an individual (WHOIS of domains registered to a company can be published)

According to the "Law no. 677/2001 on the protection of individuals with regard to processing of personal data and the free movement of such data", personal data of individuals not be published.

There really is no privacy when you register a domain regardless of whether your info is visible in WHOIS or not because your identity can be revealed with a court order.

• .co doesnt have one.

.ru has only very limited info on WHOIS

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
  • But which one of them is the cheapest? I mean, I saw .to as $25/Year..

• @vijayrajah .si is around 14€/y

@DomainBop said:
    There really is no privacy when you register a domain regardless of whether your info is visible in WHOIS or not because your identity can be revealed with a court order.

Yes, of course but to me that's still whois privacy more or less. Court order based on country specific laws is quite a different beast here (but you know this anyway) and apply to every operation in every specific country.

• texteditortexteditor Member
    edited September 2013

@AstroProfundis said:
    .so and .ro have very limited info available in whois

What's the deal with their one-time fee vs. yearly dues

edit:
    .ro domains, that is

@Spirit where do you found it for 14Euros?

• I found it for as low as 8/yr on one of the registrars listed on registry.si, www.domene.si

gonna dig around for reviews before i order though

edited September 2013

8 + VAT is 10,96Euros

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2013

@Infinity580 said:
    Spirit where do you found it for 14Euros?

With most local accredited registrars, but some are even cheaper:
    http://www.zabec.net/eng/price-list - 13€
    http://www.domene.si/dotsi.php - 12,90€ (discounted 8.90€ this moment) - switch to english language
    http://www.hitrost.com/domene/cenik_domen.html - 14,64€ (discounted 9.99€ this moment)
    etc...

I don't know anything about domene.si however you should not have issue with zabec.si and hitrost.com - both are reputable old local providers. All prices usually include VAT so it could be even cheaper for non EU residents (I suggest you to contact and ask host upfront if you're not from EU).

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited September 2013

@jimaek .mk - so far no WHOIS, however there is public web based domain info interface. I suppose that the WHOIS system might be activated soon.

• VladorzVladorz Member
    edited September 2013

@texteditor .ro domains can only be bought for life. if you find them yearly it usually means that the company buys that domain and then rents it to you for a certain price per year. if you actually want to buy one, all I can say is that buying directly from rotld.ro is the best way

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2013

@Vladorz

.ro domains can only be bought for life

This surprised me so I went to rotld.ro to check:

Costul pentru un domeniu .ro este 51,26 USD + TVA (24%).

Nu exista taxa de mentenanta anuala in prezent. Plata se face la inregistrare.
    Daca se va introduce taxa de mentenanta anuala veti fi anuntati din timp.

So yes as I expected, do not count on this being "for life".
    The text seems to mean roughly "1) there is no annual fee now. 2) if it's introduced, it will be announced".

www.domene.si worked well, instant setup yay.

• I just tried zabec, confirmed payment but not instant

• Be careful with .si NS setup. All nameservers for a specific domain name listed in the registry (Arnes) must match actual records on the authoritative nameservers for the particular domain name. If something doesn't work, check it here why:
    http://www.registry.si/dns/dns-check.html

But you still have register and register ulr at si.

• I don't know what do you mean.

• have it setup on dns.he.net for now, it passed all those predelegation tests

• Registrar name in whois isn't yor private data. I don't know how would be possible to hide registrar unless there's no any and registry direct sell domains but then it would be known registry name instead registrar in whois. There's no way to hide back end provider at the root of a TLD.