Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nextcloud setup - Error while setting up /data folder on rclone mounted storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nextcloud setup - Error while setting up /data folder on rclone mounted storage

LufiLufi Member

So, my goal is to run nextcloud on a vps, and use /mnt/storage/ncdata as the datastore for all uploaded files.

I tried :
-Setting storage path directly to /mnt/storage/ncdata
-Setting storage path to /www-data/ncdata, who is mounted with /mnt/storage/ncdata
-Setting ownership and permissions on both the above mentioned to 0700, and 0750 as google tells me to do, but i still get the same error.

Nextcloud installs just fine, and it fills some files in /mnt/storage/ncdata under installation, but when it finishes, i cannot get past a error message saying : Other users have access to your data folder, please set permission 0700 and try again, or something like that..

Is there any bright heads here who got any tips?

Comments

• FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited March 2021

Which OS are you running and are you running a default lamp stack with php-fpm or do you have a custom user, vhost, php pool and such setup?

• LufiLufi Member
    edited March 2021

@FoxelVox said:
    Which OS are you running and are you running a default lamp stack with php-fpm or do you have a custom user, vhost, php pool and such setup?

Im running Debian 10, and i am using Virtualmin as my lamp stack.

Edit : Have done some more reading. Looks like rclone isnt able to put permissions on a dropbox folder, There are work arounds, but that seems complicated.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
  • LufiLufi Member
    edited March 2021

I tried that a few days ago, and it works, but creates a issue where users have to go into the "shared folder" before they save files, or it will save it on the server itself anyway. I Bypassed the issue by setting 1KB storage limit on the user.

Looks like that is the solution i will go for anyway.

Anyone happen to want a free Nextcloud account? All i want in return is feedback on how it feels to use it.

• bollebolle Member

I do have nextcloud and rclone on my VPS, but I don't use rclone with Nextcloud. Nor I played with rclone mounts. From various setups I was trying I remember that Nextcloud doesn't play well with sym-linked (or hard-linked) data folder. It has to be real folder.

If rclone mount is seen by the system as any other mount, then in Nextcloud I would try adding that rclone mount as "Local" external storage. The downside would probably be that you'd have to create a folder manually for each user (as in mkdir /mnt/rclone-mount/username) and then again in Nextcloud manually adding that external storage to specific user. I guess it could be automated with occ.