Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many ipv6 per client
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many ipv6 per client

LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

I am about ready to offer ipv6 to clients but was wondering what is the typical number of ipv6 clients expect? I have a /64.

Thanked by 1xms

Comments

• From the viewpoint of the internet each customer should be given a /64.

• Thanked by 1xms
  • Other providers have given me a /64 or a /48

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

So you are saying each client I have should be given 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses?

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@LittleCreek said: I am about ready to offer ipv6 to clients

That's great news! Did you have to replace the router or was some configuration issue causing the issues you've seen?

what is the typical number of ipv6 clients expect?

Since you didn't allocate any IPv6 to clients yet, I'd suggest you try to get a /48 or at least a /56 from your upstream so you can assign a /64 to each customer.

• JioJio Member
    edited March 2021

@LittleCreek said: So you are saying each client I have should be given 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses?

The absolute minimum should be a /64. You don't need to give them the whole /64 (especially if you use OpenVZ) but each client needs to be allocated out of a separate /64.

Most places on internet ban by the /64. So /64 = 1 IPv4.

• @LittleCreek said:
    So you are saying each client I have should be given 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses?

Here you go brother.

https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-690

/64 is what the expectation is but the rest is your choice :)

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • fbmyfbmy Member

provide one in purchase of a service, but provide as many as they want as long as they open the ticket

@brueggus said:

@LittleCreek said: I am about ready to offer ipv6 to clients

That's great news! Did you have to replace the router or was some configuration issue causing the issues you've seen?

I am having to replace the router. I set up a test lab at home and everything worked as expected. So I can only assume something is running on the router that is interfering with ipv6. I would liked to have figured it out but at some point I have to move on.

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@LittleCreek said:

You want to be removed from @yoursunny's list, don't you?

Thanked by 1kkrajk

I still have a lot to learn about ipv6 but I learn by doing so it should be a fun ride.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2021

Tends to be an issue, if someone manages to blacklist a IPv6 address he likely won't stop at just one because he as a shiton of IPv6, even smaller subnet than /64.

However, Networks tend to issue ban over the entire /64 if he exceeds a specific amount.

So if you assign each VM its own /64, he can do what the fuck he want, without affecting other VM's.

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

We assign a /64 to each VPS by default, customers can request up to a /56 (with justification) and up to a /48 for an extra nominal fee.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@LittleCreek said: So you are saying each client I have should be given 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses?

Correct: https://www.networkworld.com/article/2223248/the-logic-of-bad-ipv6-address-management.html

Are you afraid you're going to run out?

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • /48 Push Up!

Unless I am thinking about this wrong for each /64 I still would have to add the gateway address to the router. So it seems like more to manage.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@LittleCreek said: Unless I am thinking about this wrong for each /64 I still would have to add the gateway address to the router. So it seems like more to manage.

Plenty of ways to get around though? While not advocating, using a shared /48 subnet would work - one configuration on your router, where each client just takes IP space from his private /64 within the shared /48 subnet.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@isunbejo said:

/48 Push Up!

A /48 has 1208925819614629174706176 addresses.

If all the humans in the world do one push-up per second, it'll take 4.97 million years to complete 1208925819614629174706176 push-ups.

See @Shot2 signature:

Providing less than /64 means "we are clueless about IPv6".

Thanked by 1Shot2

@yoursunny said:

Providing less than /64 means "we are clueless about IPv6".

I freely admit that. But I am doing my best.

• @littlecreek as a courtesy for your clients you may want to let them know that IPv6 on your network is in beta and great for testing, learning; but production is at their own risk. Given that you pointed out its a new router and IPv6 is new to you. Also send at least 2 notices before bringing old router down- save yourself from getting bombarded with tickets and also will let you see which emails bounce back as not deliverable.

Changing out the router will only take 2 seconds as its already preconfigured and its just a matter of changing one cable.

2 cables.

• @LittleCreek said: Unless I am thinking about this wrong for each /64 I still would have to add the gateway address to the router. So it seems like more to manage.

You can use a link-local IPv6 address as the gateway. https://blogs.infoblox.com/ipv6-coe/fe80-1-is-a-perfectly-valid-ipv6-default-gateway-address/

• LeviLevi Member

Each customer should receive 1 ipv6. For more ips there should be justification as there is with ipv4.

There is enough spam, scans and brute forces. By giving more resources to mailicious actors providers do no favor.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2021

DONT look at ipv6 as ipv4, and just get more addresses, its not that hard to get a /48 or lower, there is plenty for everyone, but you can just give /48 and have your clients never ask about getting more ipv6.

• lioncolalioncola Member
    edited March 2021

The setups I see on my VPSs/dedis:
    Most common: static /48, /56, or /64 prefix allocated per-customer with gateway in the parent /40 to /48 range or so
    Somewhat common: static /48, /56, or /64 prefix per-customer, link-local addresses for the gateway
    Least common: static /64 prefix per-customer with gateway in the same /64

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • hotsnowhotsnow Veteran
    edited March 2021

generally speaking, /64 should be the smallest unit of IPv6, equal to 1 IPv4

@hotsnow said: generally speaking, /64 should be the smallest unit of IPv6, equal to 1 IPv4

Somewhat, because you can get a free /48 ipv6 from he

• LeviLevi Member

@skorupion said:

@hotsnow said: generally speaking, /64 should be the smallest unit of IPv6, equal to 1 IPv4

Somewhat, because you can get a free /48 ipv6 from he

What to do with /48? What is practicality of this?

edited March 2021

@LTniger said: What to do with /48? What is practicality of this?

What's the practicality of having more than 1 ipv4 then.
    You can use different IP addresses on every domain you use,
    you don't have to worry about running out of ports or changing ports for your app
    In case of a DDoS attack on one of the addresses, you can just turn it off
    There are many uses.