Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debating with myself OVH vs Vultr VPS.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debating with myself OVH vs Vultr VPS.

So here I am in a server hunt also trying to save some bucks too. I was planning to use Vultr $5 plan but looks like but WordPress site is a bit is slowing down on the 1Gb ram server so I am planning to go for 2 GB Ram. Now I found that there is a deal on OVH VPS which also has

OVH 2GB Ram 40 GB SSD NVMe Public bandwidth** 250 Mbit/s** For $83.90 CAD (For 12 Months if I pay upfront, I will get this discount)

Vultr 2GB Ram 55 GB SSD Public bandwidth Unknown For $152 CAD For 12 Months.

I have used Vultr before and I haven't used OVH in any of my serious projects for at least the past 5 years. OVH saves me money it's true but will also deliver solid performance too? Please feel free to jump in with your expertise. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Yeah OVH is pretty solid generally, just don't expect any support off of them apart from networking/hardware issues etc, most of that is picked up automatically - In the years I've had a few OVH VPS i've never had any issues at all expect from a few networking blips, but they are so few and far between.

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • Depending on where you are located, Hetzner cloud could also be an option: https://www.hetzner.com/cloud

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • @WSCallum said:
    Yeah OVH is pretty solid generally, just don't expect any support off of them apart from networking/hardware issues etc, most of that is picked up automatically - In the years I've had a few OVH VPS i've never had any issues at all expect from a few networking blips, but they are so few and far between.

I had 1/2 servers with OVH too but nothing serious nor monitored their service from close. I need a Canadian location but they have 250 Mbit port speed and I don't know vultr's public port speed. What kind of difference do they have I wonder.

• @elflord said:
    Depending on where you are located, Hetzner cloud could also be an option: https://www.hetzner.com/cloud

Do they have server location in Canada? I heard good things about Hetzner's service.

• Vultr High Frequency Compute with NVME is awesome

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • @isunbejo said:
    Vultr High Frequency Compute with NVME is awesome

True but my plan is to stay under the $10 monthly price.

• I can gladly recommend you Contabo. You get a lot for your money and they have a very nice support team. :)

https://contabo.com/?show=vps

I have the VPS S SSD plan and I am very pleased with it so far.

Thanked by 1kalipus
  • akhfaakhfa Member
    edited January 2021

If you can live with no support at all (expect the worst case), and can recover your data quickly into another server, choose ovh to save money when you can, and monitor your server closely
    Currently have dedicated server with ovh, uptime is good, when there is hardware problems, they are good detecting it and solve the problem, just don't expect receiving support.

Otherwise, choose vultr high frequency.

I personally will choose vultr because of their better panel. I don't like to wait forever when using ovh panel to do some vps administration stuff like as snapshot or reinstall.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Get a 1 month with both and just test to compare.

OVH SSDs were rate-limited last time I tried, so don't expect super stellar performance from them. Should be very consistent though, and more than enough for a blog.

Vultr port speed should be at least 1 Gbit, could be multiple. But it's not unmetered. 250 Mbit at OVH is unmetered. Again, both are fine for a blog.

• @miroc said:
    I can gladly recommend you Contabo. You get a lot for your money and they have a very nice support team. :)

https://contabo.com/?show=vps

I have the VPS S SSD plan and I am very pleased with it so far.

I will definitely have a look at Contabo.

@akhfa said:
    If you can live with no support at all (expect the worst case), and can recover your data quickly into another server, choose ovh to save money when you can, and monitor your server closely
    Currently have dedicated server with ovh, uptime is good, when there is hardware problems, they are good detecting it and solve the problem, just don't expect receiving support.

Otherwise, choose vultr high frequency.

I personally will choose vultr because of their better panel. I don't like to wait forever when using ovh panel to do some vps administration stuff like as snapshot or reinstall.

I never needed VPS support for my projects. But I do agree with you that Vultr's panel is more beautiful and can do a lot of administrative work in there. Makes your life easy. I will use DirectAdmin for most of my backup and other simple things.

@rm_ said:
    Get a 1 month with both and just test to compare.

OVH SSDs were rate-limited last time I tried, so don't expect super stellar performance from them. Should be very consistent though, and more than enough for a blog.

Vultr port speed should be at least 1 Gbit, could be multiple. But it's not unmetered. 250 Mbit at OVH is unmetered. Again, both are fine for a blog.

I am was comparing Between Linode DigitalOcean and Vultr and liked Vultr but I have wasted too much time comparing those ones and installing my needed software in them now I can't afford to test OVH with them. I need to set up my server in a very short time. I am using WordPress but not for blogging, I run Woocommerce.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Just go for OVH is price is the concern. There's no issue with general performance/reliability.

• Does anyone know if Hetzner has Canadian location VPS?

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@GreenPeace said:
    Does anyone know if Hetzner has Canadian location VPS?

They don’t

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • When I sign up for OVH yearly contract if I don’t like their service I can’t cancel them that’s what I leaned from my google searching skill. “They Sue people for canceling the contract!!” Anyone has any experience with that?

• @GreenPeace said:
    When I sign up for OVH yearly contract if I don’t like their service I can’t cancel them that’s what I leaned from my google searching skill. “They Sue people for canceling the contract!!” Anyone has any experience with that?

Absolutely if you sign down for a 12 month contract on a pay monthly option, be prepared to stick by it - It's like any other contract or finance option whether that be for your phone, car etc - Do you think if you took out finance on a car for 12 months, and you'd stop paying after 6, they'll just let you carry on driving the car around without chasing after you?

If you don't like the sound of tying in to a 12 month contract with OVH, just go for standard monthly billing cycle then you can cancel at your leisure.

• GreenPeaceGreenPeace Member
    edited January 2021

@WSCallum said:

@GreenPeace said:
    When I sign up for OVH yearly contract if I don’t like their service I can’t cancel them that’s what I leaned from my google searching skill. “They Sue people for canceling the contract!!” Anyone has any experience with that?

Absolutely if you sign down for a 12 month contract on a pay monthly option, be prepared to stick by it - It's like any other contract or finance option whether that be for your phone, car etc - Do you think if you took out finance on a car for 12 months, and you'd stop paying after 6, they'll just let you carry on driving the car around without chasing after you?

If you don't like the sound of tying in to a 12 month contract with OVH, just go for standard monthly billing cycle then you can cancel at your leisure.

Well, I wouldn’t go into that argument comparing service with the process of owning an asset. I was in several phone plan contract (Canada) when I didn’t like it I just canceled my 2 years contracts several times. That’s how it should be. Of course, I paid for their service as long as I have used it.

Other than that contract system, I like OVH I will say, 4/5 years ago when I used them. I liked their service. I will just go for their 12 monthly contracts and if I see any problem, I guess my bank got my back :smile:

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited January 2021

@GreenPeace said: OVH saves me money it's true but will also deliver solid performance too?

Performance of my ovh vps has been good, about equal to other 2GB VPSs I've used. Never had an issue with the virtual server, but I am worried about their poor support if an issue comes up. I have an old Kumsufi (cheap ovh) dedicated server that occasionally had issues, and their support was very slow to respond.

Personally I would not want to prepay for a year at over $100 price for a service with a poor support record without trying it out for a shorter time, first.

Depending on where you are in Canada, hosthatch has a 2GB RAM in Chicago and NYC that's very cheap https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3183065#Comment_3183065 and there could be other providers with low ping times to Canada.

• @GreenPeace said:

@WSCallum said:

@GreenPeace said:

Well, I wouldn’t go into that argument comparing service with the process of owning an asset. I was in several phone plan contract (Canada) when I didn’t like it I just canceled my 2 years contracts several times. That’s how it should be. Of course, I paid for their service as long as I have used it.

Other than that contract system, I like OVH I will say, 4/5 years ago when I used them. I liked their service. I will just go for their 12 monthly contracts and if I see any problem, I guess my bank got my back :smile:

Not in the same league but you get my point, a contract is a contract and if you don't like the fact you can't cancel a contract at any time don't go into said contract in the first place - If other companies have let you out of a contract early don't ever assume that all will be the same, the vast majority won't be unfortunately.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@GreenPeace said: I will definitely have a look at Contabo.

Can reccomend them too, no downtime in like 3 or 4 months so far

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • GreenPeaceGreenPeace Member
    edited January 2021

@skorupion said:

Thank you for the recommendation, will definitely look into that. Just wondering if they have Datacenter in Canada.

Update: I just checked on their website. I don't see that they have datacenter in Canada.

• By the way, have you looked at DigitalOcean, Linode and Lightsail? They have locations in Canada, I think all the same price for 2GB. Linode and DO have good support, with a slight edge to Linode I think.

• uzaysanuzaysan Member
    edited January 2021

@skorupion said:

Yes. When I first heard about contabo, everyone said "they oversell, performance will be shit, don't expect anything good". But i used it for 4 months. And it was solid.

İ can also recommend racknerd. I'm using for over 1 month. Works pretty good.

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • VULTR. Their support is top class.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@uzaysan said: İ can also recommend racknerd. I'm using for over 1 month. Works pretty good.

Ye can recommend then too, go 3 gb 3 vCores Xmas deal, and works perfectly

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • You could test OVH public cloud with hourly billing and if you like it then switch to NVMe VPS range which is faster than their public cloud range.

• OVH may have better network in Canada, but Vultr have better support.