Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS in Australia
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS in Australia

As many of you know, mr. @trewq is already providing solid and reasonably-priced services Down Under. However I wonder if there are new players in the market.

Please refrain from bringing-up OVH. Thank you.

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

HostHatch, Sydney.

Thanked by 2asv Kindy
  • @thedp said: HostHatch, Sydney

Whaaaat? HostHatch in Sydney?.. How quickly things change.

• Hosthatch has business there.

• @asv said:
    As many of you know, mr. @trewq is already providing solid and reasonably-priced services Down Under. However I wonder if there are new players in the market.

Please refrain from bringing-up OVH. Thank you.

Indeed sir @trewq is prem!

Check out binarylane.com.au @BinaryLane or quantumcore.com.au @QuantumCore for extra options :)

Thanked by 2asv QuantumCore
  • @its420somewhere said: Check out binarylane.com.au @BinaryLane or quantumcore.com.au @QuantumCore for extra options :)

Yeah, these two companies are already in the shortlist. Glad to see them on LET.

• @thedp said:
    HostHatch, Sydney.

@aRNoLD said:
    Hosthatch has business there.

Hmm...

@hosthatch ?

• @MikeA extravm also do Sydney iirc

Thanked by 1asv
  • @asv said:

@thedp said:
    HostHatch, Sydney.

@aRNoLD said:

Hmm...

@hosthatch ?

Check it out next year, dude..

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@its420somewhere said:
    @MikeA extravm also do Sydney iirc

I will just note this since he mentioned not to bring up OVH; My Australia servers are using OVH, so if he just doesn't want the OVH network it's out of the question. Thanks though.

Thanked by 1its420somewhere
  • @asv said:

@thedp said:
    HostHatch, Sydney.

@aRNoLD said:

Hmm...

@hosthatch ?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/168301/black-friday-2020-nvme-and-storage-deals-deploy-worldwide/p1

NVMe deals:

Available in: Amsterdam, Stockholm, Los Angeles, Zurich, Oslo, Vienna, Warsaw, London, Chicago, New York and Sydney (Hong Kong, Madrid and Milan can be pre-ordered, but delivery will be by December 31st).

you'll see from the above thread that hosthatch does have business there, KVM, but not displayed in its currently deployed product line.

you'll find Sydney deployment of ovz product line.

https://imgur.com/a/PWClYYg

• @MikeA said: My Australia servers are using OVH, so if he just doesn't want the OVH network it's out of the question.

Network is fine, but their support and past experience of "disappearing VM" are not.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2020

I've tried a bunch of providers in Australia and Quantum Core is the best IMO. Solid network, modern servers (with Xeon Gold 6258r processors and very fast NVMe drives), and they're an actual registered Australian business with an office based in Australia. They're currently running a promotion where if you deposit AU$10 of credit, you'll get AU$50 for free, meaning you can get one year of their cheapest plan (usually $5/month) for only $10. https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/168661/quantum-core-50-free-credit

• Just missed out on the HostHatch BF offers too 😛

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2020

@asv said:
    Network is fine, but their support and past experience of "disappearing VM" are not.

Understandable... :neutral:

• asvasv Member
    edited December 2020

@Daniel15 said: Solid network, modern servers (with Xeon Gold 6258r processors and very fast NVMe drives

Valuable information, thanks. Pings are somewhat high though, compared to @trewq's MEL location.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep
  • Username
        HostUS
    Visits
    Last Active
        June 2016
    Roles

I am sold.

• @asv said:

Username
        HostUS
    Visits
    Last Active
        June 2016
    Roles

I am sold.

I think he meant @AlexanderM

Thanked by 2asv AlexanderM
  • @Daniel15 said:
    I've tried a bunch of providers in Australia and Quantum Core is the best IMO. Solid network, modern servers (with Xeon Gold 6258r processors and very fast NVMe drives), and they're an actual registered Australian business with an office based in Australia. They're currently running a promotion where if you deposit AU$10 of credit, you'll get AU$50 for free, meaning you can get one year of their cheapest plan (usually $5/month) for only $10. https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/168661/quantum-core-50-free-credit

Depending if you want to consider smaller businesses, another one in the "registered Australian business" category is Network Presence. For example, https://shop.networkpresence.com.au/cart.php?gid=8 and look at the tabs along the top. AU$3/month in Adelaide for a 1GB RAM KVM with 2TB BW is decent, I would say (AU$3.30 in Sydney).

To be perfectly honest I would say the reliability is probably a little lower than some of the other local operators and network speed is not super high, but as stated, small business with generally good customer service and good specs for the $.

With special offers, I'm paying (significantly) less than the above in Sydney for:

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-07                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Mon Dec 14 05:06:57 UTC 2020

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X 12-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 3493.450 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 719.5 MiB
    Swap       : 1024.0 MiB
    Disk       : 10.0 GiB

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 69.3 Mbits/sec  | 268 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 71.6 Mbits/sec  | 339 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 9.26 Mbits/sec  | 146 Mbits/sec
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 38.2 Mbits/sec  | 203 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 44.3 Mbits/sec  | 217 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 51.3 Mbits/sec  | 388 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 32.4 Mbits/sec  | 377 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | 225 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 550
    Multi Core      | 543
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5321565

Thanked by 1asv
  • @asv said:

@Daniel15 said: Solid network, modern servers (with Xeon Gold 6258r processors and very fast NVMe drives

Valuable information, thanks. Pings are somewhat high though, compared to @trewq's MEL location.

Yeah it depends on where you're pinging from. FlowVPS uses Equinix in Melbourne whereas QuantumCore uses Equinix in Sydney. For my use case I needed good ping times from Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne, and Sydney data centers are generally better on average for that use case (Melbourne-based hosting was better for Melbourne-based users but worse for Sydney and Brisbane).

Thanked by 2asv eva2000
  • @asv said: However I wonder if there are new players in the market.

Not new but established for me in Australia besides Vultr and OVH which I use there's

which I also use :)

• Try binarylane

• Binary Lane have the best panel I've ever seen.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2020

Yeah Binary Lane are pretty good, and have a lot of good things going for them. I agree with @its420somewhere that their control panel is one of the best (if not THE best) among all VPS hosts. Their help desk knowledgebase is very good. Data transfer is pooled between all your VPSes with them (eg if you have two VPSes with 1000 GB per month each, you effectively get 2000 GB shared across both). Their VPSes are billed hourly, which is really useful if you want to clone a VPS and spin up another one for testing something just for a few hours. The CPU, RAM, and disk space are all individually scalable on demand, so for example if your VPS is perfect except you just need a bit more RAM, you can add more RAM without having to switch to a different plan and pay for extra stuff (like more disk space) that you don't need.

An issue I had with them last time I tried their services (start of 2019) was that performance was wildly inconsistent. I could spin up two VPSes with identical specs, and sometimes one of them would feel significantly faster than the other (sometimes disk I/O, sometimes CPU power). They patched their kernels to not report stolen CPU time (KVM_FEATURE_STEAL_TIME) so it was harder to tell if the perf issues were due to noisy neighbours. I imagine the ability to scale CPU, RAM and disk space individually means that some nodes get very unbalanced.

• @tetech said:

@Daniel15 said:

Depending if you want to consider smaller businesses, another one in the "registered Australian business" category is Network Presence. For example, https://shop.networkpresence.com.au/cart.php?gid=8 and look at the tabs along the top. AU$3/month in Adelaide for a 1GB RAM KVM with 2TB BW is decent, I would say (AU$3.30 in Sydney).

To be perfectly honest I would say the reliability is probably a little lower than some of the other local operators and network speed is not super high, but as stated, small business with generally good customer service and good specs for the $.

With special offers, I'm paying (significantly) less than the above in Sydney for:

#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-07                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Mon Dec 14 05:06:57 UTC 2020

Basic System Information:
    Processor  : AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X 12-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 3493.450 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 719.5 MiB
    Swap       : 1024.0 MiB
    Disk       : 10.0 GiB

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 69.3 Mbits/sec  | 268 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 71.6 Mbits/sec  | 339 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 9.26 Mbits/sec  | 146 Mbits/sec
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 38.2 Mbits/sec  | 203 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 44.3 Mbits/sec  | 217 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 51.3 Mbits/sec  | 388 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 32.4 Mbits/sec  | 377 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | 225 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 550
    Multi Core      | 543
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5321565

Looks very nice at $3 AUD / month. Was it already the special offer or something else?

Thanks.

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@asv said:

@hosthatch ?

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. We recently expanded our NVMe plans there and are considering doing some sort of storage plans there as well (unfortunately the bandwidth costs make it very hard to do similar storage plans as we do in the EU/US).

We didn't expect as much interest in Sydney and we already sold out our available capacity in a few days. If you want a small VM, please reach out and I can get you set up. For anything bigger, we'll have more capacity there hopefully before Christmas time.

• @hosthatch said: If you want a small VM, please reach out and I can get you set up.

Can you do special offers on tiny VPSes with say 256 MB RAM and 5 GB space? I sent an email about small hosthatch VPSes for dnstools.ws two weeks ago but never heard back (just assumed you were busy but maybe it got marked as spam). I did actually end up getting one of the flash sale bundles that has a Sydney VPS so I'm looking forward to having that provisioned :)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Daniel15 said:

@hosthatch said: If you want a small VM, please reach out and I can get you set up.

Can you do special offers on tiny VPSes with say 256 MB RAM and 5 GB space? I sent an email about small hosthatch VPSes for dnstools.ws two weeks ago but never heard back (just assumed you were busy but maybe it got marked as spam). I did actually end up getting one of the flash sale bundles that has a Sydney VPS so I'm looking forward to having that provisioned :)

We're going to re-do our standard plans starting from January 2020, and include much more resources by default.

We will likely have a 'starter' plan that comes to around $15-17/year for 1 GB RAM / 10 GB NVMe or something along those lines. But that is the lowest resources we can do on a VPS.

Thanked by 1its420somewhere
  • @hosthatch said:

@Daniel15 said:

@hosthatch said: If you want a small VM, please reach out and I can get you set up.

We're going to re-do our standard plans starting from January 2020, and include much more resources by default.

We will likely have a 'starter' plan that comes to around $15-17/year for 1 GB RAM / 10 GB NVMe or something along those lines. But that is the lowest resources we can do on a VPS.

Please add more bandwidth on the default plans :-)

Thank you!