Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If some provider was offering free VPS,would you grab or get one ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If some provider was offering free VPS,would you grab or get one ?

While you are able to pay online(Via paypal or someother thing) ?

Comments

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited September 2013

Yes, we like free stuff, we like consuming, we like working hard, doing shit jobs, so that we can buy crap we don't need, to impress people we don't care about.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2013

Spend some time around here and you will end up having enough idle LEBs and dedis which you paid for, to not have any use for one more, even if it's free.

The main problem with free services is that you can't really complain much when it's down. This means you can't depend on it for anything even remotely important (that you would care about not being down). So, why did you want it, again?

You could say a free VPS has negative value, because you need to sign-up at some site, give your personal details, and then spend effort to set up and configure the VPS itself.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • RamiRami Member
    edited September 2013

I think that my answer will be "NO"

I have a lot of VPSes

• No - while I rarely use my VPS, if I'm going to go through the trouble of getting one set up and ready to go, I need it to be there and be reliable when I use it.

mycpanel.co.uk failed this test back in the day™ when they shut down my VPS at random and dropped it. There was nothing of value on there, but still.

• I am a beginner on a budget, and have several VPSs for learning about owning and managing them. I signed up for a free VPS from Host1Free last year. They ignored all my input and sent me nothing until I received an email from them saying that they were going to shut down the many free VPSs that weren't being used. Of course, I had never received notice that I had been granted a free VPS.

I was able to use their password reset links to get control of my VPS and used it for a few months, until the SolusVM attack took out their entire system (along with other VPS providers).

Despite promises to provide new VPSs to previous owners, they did not restore mine, then ran out of new VPSs. For those who had had a VPS but were locked out of getting a new one, they were asked to post their email addresses in the public forum, which I would not do.

Someday I may apply for a host1free VPS when everything shakes out, but not for another six months or year. In the meantime, I have several inexpensive paid VPSs that work out fine... Despite being on a tight budget, I have seen many offers on LEB that beat the free ones in terms of time and aggravation. Keep an eye open and the right offer will come along, I promise.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am too busy to use full my current collection, so, no, i wont get a free one.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Even if I have paid VPS, the answer is: Yes.

• Yes, back when i was a consumer. For like a up-time script would have at least given it a try.

• sometimes i'll give a try. and if not like then cancel or just leave idle as it's free

Leaving idle is not recommended, it is a waste of resources other people might need.

• I tryed few free VPSs but they never lasted long. I prefer to pay. Atleast I know what I get and my time have price too. Once I set up things I expect them to run smooth without being limited or cancelled month later. In that case it's not worth to bother with.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2013

@Maounique said:
    Leaving idle is not recommended, it is a waste of resources other people might need.

If I am paying for it, I will leave it to idle if I want to.

@W1V_Lee said:

That is not the point, you can leave it idle even if you do not pay for it, I was saying that, in general, wasting resources is not recommended.
    What if Bill gates would buy hamburgers for a few billions ? He is paying for them, therefore they can go to waste while the poor people will struggle even more with higher bread and meat prices.
    You are totally correct you can leave it idle if you wish to in both situations and won't even raise prices, but will just add a bit more to the pollution and those money could have gone to a charity for a better use.

• Free stuff usually means I have no much rights to do complaining

• @jcaleb said:
    Free stuff usually means I have no much rights to do complaining. Not that that stops many people from doing it.

FTFY

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

I wouldn't host anything important on a free VPS--I can't think of any providers who've offered free public VPS services for the long-term.

• @Maounique said:
    I am too busy to use full my current collection, so, no, i wont get a free one.

• If the provider is Prometeus/Iperweb, I will grab one :D

• Actually you can get some already (e.g. on host1free.com ), but you can't use it for torrent nor VPN/proxy

• Yup host1Free, so far its ok, just always keep backups of you file, you can run small sites like wordpress & other stuff.

edited September 2013

@Mithrandil said:
    Actually you can get some already (e.g. on host1free.com ), but you can't use it for torrent nor VPN/proxy

Actually, I tested just for the heck of it in the time the traffic allocation was not so low to use it as a proxy and it worked. I used the SSH/socks proxy for it.
    Something like this: http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=828

• @Maounique said:

Actually, I tested just for the heck of it in the time the traffic allocation was not so low to use it as a proxy and it worked. I used the SSH/socks proxy for it.

Something like this: http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=828

Yes, technically it's possible, but it's against the TOS...

• I think I prefer to use VPS server charges, because it gives me a better service.

• Just got my 1st free one from host1free, also my 1st OpenVZ. With KVM/Xen/VMWare and dedicated already in place for mission-critical tasks, it's time to learn new things with host1free.

• I would love to have something for free. I know how good giving out free stuff is so it's nice to get something back from another person! :)

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited October 2013

It's even easier on Linux. Just one line command on the client:

http://abdussamad.com/archives/747-Simple-SSH-Web-Proxy.html

A personal proxy is a good use for a free VPS. Or you could buy one of those 32MB VPS from server dragon for $10 a year.

@Abdussamad said:
    Or you could buy one of those 32MB VPS from server dragon for $10 a year.

There are cheaper alternatives, our 50 MB one is 6 Eur a year and othres have even lower prices such as lowend spirit from inception/anthony.

• @Maounique said:
    There are cheaper alternatives, our 50 MB one is 6 Eur a year and othres have even lower prices such as lowend spirit from inception/anthony.

Ah but do you take bitcoin??