Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

total vps newbie, cpu usage, ram etc
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

total vps newbie, cpu usage, ram etc

Hi.

I need a box (currently using pc at home) to process csv, json and xml datafeeds up to 300MB in size. These contain anything up to 200,000 "rows" of product data.

I run these through a php script which will read each product, sanitize etc and then insert/update into a mysql table.

Currently these tables are up to 400MB in size.

I then do various things like output a csv to import to another server etc.

I do this many times through the day.

What spec VPS do I need as a minimum? is 256MB ram enough for mysql and tables this big? I dont know much about databases on a technical level.

Will I have problems running these tasks (via cron), in terms of CPU usage? What is typical procedure if you use too much CPU? a warning first, then suspension/termination?

Any help appreciated, very new to VPS's.

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Well, check your ram usage in your box first. Then you can calculate the ram needed for that.

• If will cpu heavy, maybe dedicated. or special arrangement if vps.

just rough estimate, 512mb for mysql and 512mb for your php.

• Well, peak usage for PHP is around 26MB.

My box at home is windows based, in a virtual machine.

• How long does it take to run? I usually tweak my MySQL for faster performance. Hence more RAM for that

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited September 2013

But to answer your question, I suggest at least 512mb ram. Tweak your MySQL so that it does not eat too much CPU, but instead take advantage of legroom in memory.

• it takes between 5-10 minutes on 1 virtualized core of an i3 370M

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited September 2013

I guess that won't be a problem. I recommend you choose from the top LEB provider list from last poll.

edit: maybe use SSD vps.

Thanked by 1Adam1
  • jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited September 2013

Another choice is go with provider with an offloaded MySQL. that might be a better choice. Get a 128mb box and then an offloaded one for additional $1 a month.

BuyVM and prometeus have offloaded MySQL. Other host have too, but cant remember which one.

Thanked by 1Adam1