Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you backup your VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you backup your VPS?

Are there providers that do daily backup of your VPS just like in shared/reseller hosting?

Comments

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Many of them do with additional fees

• MoofieMoofie Member
    edited November 2020

Combahton (fastpipe.io) does daily backups for free and instant restores

Thanked by 1Tsuyo
  • DigitalOcean, Linode, Vultr all do backups for a reasonable price. However, no matter your provider, you should also store a backup with a different provider in different location for the best safety. Providers at LET/LEB sometimes go broke/get bored/run away - so best to prepare for a disaster

• NexusBytes provides a NAT backup vps in different location, so you can use a script to backup things.

Thanked by 2farsighter seriesn
  • Nexus Bytes gives you a backup NAT VPS for your content.

Inception Hosting does nightly backups of your server in some plans.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • If you install aaPanel it has aaPanel Plugin to backup by upload to Google Drive.

• Who needs a backup?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited November 2020

I don't backup the VPS.

All my scripts and content are in git repository. Secrets and deployment commands are in my Nextcloud.
    If a server disappears, I simply follow the instructions and re-deploy affected services on the same or different server.

Recently I'm developing a service that involves user registration. Maybe I need to setup rsync for its states, or store them on Nextcloud.

Either way, I'm losing billions per hour in such incidents.

I don't have Nexus Bytes. If I have, I wouldn't store backup on the same provider's infrastructure.
    The reason is, if there's a billing dispute or if the provider deadpools, I would lose both the main server and the backup.
    Cross-backup to a different provider's infrastructure is safer.