Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's you, not cPanel pricing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

It's you, not cPanel pricing

1. Vendors such as GoDaddy keep increasing pricing, you keep trying to decrease - see a problem?
  2. Large companies plan- what plans did you make after last years price increase?
  3. How can you long term compete on price when your costs are higher per unit than the larger providers.
  4. Name cheap, I can get 3 sites for 2.88 a month or like 17 a year- is your 7 dollar plan with less than 24/7 support going to entice me?
  5. Everyone is saying yet a gain- build a new panel, it won't happen, you won't- pick a production panel and deal with it.
  6. The world changed this year- yet noone at the lowend seemed to offer custom packages for restaurants, bars, wtc to integrate with grub hub et al. The money and referrals were there- yet I know you are a hosting company not integrators.
  7. noone truly offers ebay, etsy, amazon integration at the low end - companies make money selling their products not building websites- you need to make it easy for comapnies to sell shit.
  8. Not too many sell weebly, squarespace, other competitors - yes they are more expensive but with US labor rates- it really is pay a bit more and save a bunch. A 2 dollar a month plan vs a 20 dollar a month plan that fully embraces ecommerce- I know as an owner what I'd pick.
  9. It's not corona, it's failure to plan and living on the one trick pony of competing on price.

Compete on something else

Comments

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited October 2020

Who the hell uses Godaddy anymore?

• UnbelievableUnbelievable Member
    edited October 2020

@serv_ee you'd be surprised at the number of real businesses that do. And I know its cool to bash them. But they are running on AWS now. But all the cool kids like to crap on them still. Just shows ignorance. They certainly don't use hosthunt.net for anything!

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@serv_ee said:

The entire world, https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/godaddy.com

• @Unbelievable said:
    @serv_ee you'd be surprised at the number of real businesses that do. And I know its cool to bash them. But they are running on AWS now. But all the cool kids like to crap on them still. Just shows ignorance

Yeah Im bashing them cause Im a cool kid. How naive. Cause people cant have horrible experiences with big corps right? As far as I care Godaddy can take its horrible support and price hikes and die in a fiery ditch.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited October 2020

In my dick opinion, you never make healthy profits on hosting service alone unless done in a very large scale (volume). Or you must keep a healthy margin in which case you can forget lowend market customers (or PMSers I personally call.)

You gotta put something else on it, be it management, be it website design, or something else creative.

So, it is no surprise that they eventually resort to scamming.

• @serv_ee Don't forget all the shit support from small providers here. How many take the money and run episodes in the past 3 years? The again hostdoc was awesome right? Even had its own hypeman right? Then it blew to shit. But hey noone has problems with small shops do they?

• @Unbelievable said:
    @serv_ee Don't forget all the shit support from small providers here. How many take the money and run episodes in the past 3 years? The again hostdoc was awesome right? Even had its own hypeman right? Then it blew to shit. But hey noone has problems with small shops do they?

Have I ever implied that?

If my dicky memories are correct, LadyDoc was making about 50 cents per an account.

That ain't even profit. You can work at McShit and make more overall.

Thanked by 2chocolateshirt bdl
  • seriesnseriesn Member
    edited October 2020

@Unbelievable said:
    1. Vendors such as GoDaddy keep increasing pricing, you keep trying to decrease - see a problem?

• Well tbh, some of the big big companies do operate in major loss. But in the LET world, it becomes more of a "I can't afford to spend $$$$$ on advertising. But I can give discount". Problem becomes is, some and a majority of the newer and expired providers would heavily rely on those discounts (life time/never ending flash sale etc) to survive. Comes to a point, no one is buying their standard plans anymore because, there will be another promotion next week. This majorly messes up everyone's finance and projection.

Look at A+ providers such as BuyVM, Ramnode and many more. How often do you see them offering promos?

1. Large companies plan- what plans did you make after last years price increase?

Got no clue. I left Cpanel 6 years back and DA has been my trusted panel since that point.

1. How can you long term compete on price when your costs are higher per unit than the larger providers.

Most of the never ending "promo" providers are playing the catchup game, where their annual promos are there to just cover the bills, in most cases for couple of months, instead of actually for the year.

1. Name cheap, I can get 3 sites for 2.88 a month or like 17 a year- is your 7 dollar plan with less than 24/7 support going to entice me?

See, you are the few sensible one. A decent chunk of LE* user pool hops from one host to another, like drunk college kids, on a friday night. Hopping from one bar to another.

1. Everyone is saying yet a gain- build a new panel, it won't happen, you won't- pick a production panel and deal with it.

100% agreed!

1. The world changed this year- yet noone at the lowend seemed to offer custom packages for restaurants, bars, wtc to integrate with grub hub et al. The money and referrals were there- yet I know you are a hosting company not integrators.
    2. noone truly offers ebay, etsy, amazon integration at the low end - companies make money selling their products not building websites- you need to make it easy for comapnies to sell shit.
    3. Not too many sell weebly, squarespace, other competitors - yes they are more expensive but with US labor rates- it really is pay a bit more and save a bunch. A 2 dollar a month plan vs a 20 dollar a month plan that fully embraces ecommerce- I know as an owner what I'd pick.

Good point! I think the problem lies is, most don't want to spend enough time or has the resource to invest (Skill/Time/Money) into innovating the industry. One person does it, everyone else follows and the sheep mentality continues (providers).

I also think the "Community" pressure to become the cheapest kinda messes it up for many, who gets carried away with the "lowend fame" (Hi!!). And ah, yeah, last but not the least, too many, wayyyyyyy too many businesses here starts with "I got 100 bucks in my pocket, let me start a business" mentality. Instead of properly panning things out.

Business takes proper planning, budgeting, understanding market, demand, finding your strengths and weaknesses.

So yes, I agree with you! It is not you, it is a me problem.

But with that said, that Cpanel pricing increase is still messed up. Because it wasn't just a simple xyz% increase. But to some, it could easily result a huge % of cost increase. No one likes to wake up one day, knowing from they will start making $10,000-$100,000 less. It is just a super uneasy feeling. Increasing the price isn't always an easy solution for a lotttt of providers. Including big boys.

• LeeLee Veteran

In my view, cPanel not increasing the pricing for such a long time was a big issue. I am sure I was paying $45 per licence per month around 2005, 14 years later I was still paying $45.

Their income was increasing but so were the costs, they were relying on more licences being purchased, not the best business model for that type of business.

Had they progressively increased pricing over the years the industry would have moved with it and there would have been no sting like recent times.

Today, cPanel is still a great panel made significantly better with the array of 3rd party plugins. As I said last year, I didn't expect it to make that much difference to the industry overall and it hasn't really, no really, look closely very little difference.

The really low-end market has moved to DA. No longer being able to throw up a large VM with a $14 VPS cPanel licence killed many. DA is a great panel that has benefitted from the cPanel price hike, no doubt but cPanel is still a better option for most consumers, for now.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited October 2020

@Lee said: cPanel is still a better option for most consumers

May I ask why do you think that?

And I'm seriously asking, I'm seeing this a lot in this thread but I can't come to think what am I missing on DA thats on cPanel

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2020

@serv_ee said: May I ask why do you think that?

I am looking at the general consumer, one that cares little for what they use, but they want familiarity which comes with cPanel as most hosts have used it for the last 20 years, therefore, most are familiar with it.

Neither do they care that it costs anything between $2 up to $10 per month for a single shared account as long as it does what they want and is reliable.

DA has got a good feature set but you will be pushed to find many providers offering it unless you are on forums like this. For those general consumers finding a site like WHT, all they find is wall to wall cPanel, same on Google searches.

I am not saying cPanel is a better panel, just a better option for the masses that just want hosting for a purpose. The vast majority of those who have web hosting has no idea of the pricing changes related to cPanel so it has had no impact on them other than perhaps a small price increase, although for those who are paying more than LE* prices have likely seen no change.

Hence, for the majority, cPanel still remains the obvious choice.

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

@serv_ee said: And I'm seriously asking, I'm seeing this a lot in this thread but I can't come to think what am I missing on DA thats on cPanel

I miss cPanel filemanager on DA .

Thanked by 1mgilang
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited October 2020

@Lee said:

@serv_ee said: May I ask why do you think that?

I am looking at the general consumer, one that cares little for what they use, but they want familiarity which comes with cPanel as most hosts have used it for the last 20 years, therefore, most are familiar with it.

Neither do they care that it costs anything between $2 up to $10 per month for a single shared account as long as it does what they want and is reliable.

DA has got a good feature set but you will be pushed to find many providers offering it unless you are on forums like this. For those general consumers finding a site like WHT, all they find is wall to wall cPanel, same on Google searches.

I am not saying cPanel is a better panel, just a better option for the masses that just want hosting for a purpose. The vast majority of those who have web hosting has no idea of the pricing changes related to cPanel so it has had no impact on them other than perhaps a small price increase, although for those who are paying more than LE* prices have likely seen no change.

Hence, for the majority, cPanel still remains the obvious choice.

Makes sense. Thanks.

@Xsltel said:

@serv_ee said: And I'm seriously asking, I'm seeing this a lot in this thread but I can't come to think what am I missing on DA thats on cPanel

So you mean...FTP? :p (just joking)

• I can see issues for providers when there is a flash sale left and right here. I myself have fell for the attractive prices. I did my best in most cases to see if the provider was around for a little bit. But also as of now I personally would not put anything legit up because of 2 reasons. One my inexperience and 2 If I was betting on my business with a provider I would certainly be willing to put more money into it to get a reliable known provider.

It is not to say that some of my flash sale purchases are not reliable. So for my experience has been positive and even with the small amount of investment have been receiving great support from the company's I went with.

I guess I am rambling a bit but I imagine its a pretty tight margin and not easy to make money in this business.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @Xsltel said:

New file manager that is released couple of weeks ago is pretty good

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

to be honest DA is pretty good and easy to use....

The file manger needs some tweaking, but it’s getting there.

I much prefer DNS editing in DA.

• @experttechit said:
    to be honest DA is pretty good and easy to use....

The file manger needs some tweaking, but it’s getting there.

I much prefer DNS editing in DA.

Cpanel = Lexus. Flashy, got some fancy addons. It works.
    DA = Toyota Corolla. Almost same quality of product, half the cost (or less now), doesn't have too many bells and whistles.

Both of those will take you from point A to point B and on the same local road, it wouldn't make much of a difference from a regular usage perspective.

@DA_Mark is basically Premium Budget product.

There are other alternatives such as interworx, which isn't too bad. But for your average Joe, DA End user panel is almost as intuitive as Cpanel for a fraction of cost.

• @seriesn said:
    Cpanel = Lexus. Flashy, got some fancy addons. It works.
    DA = Toyota Corolla. Almost same quality of product, half the cost (or less now), doesn't have too many bells and whistles.

If we use Toyota analogy I will say DA= Toyota Supra , not as comfortable as the Lexus but can be tuned to be way faster than the Lexus

Just got to be tuned to be pretty too I hope @DA_Mark we got more prettier traditional theme every time cPanel increase the price :)

• LeeLee Veteran

@seriesn said: Cpanel = Lexus. >Flashy, got some fancy addons. It works.
    DA = Toyota Corolla. Almost same quality of product, half the cost (or less now), doesn't >have too many bells and whistles.

Both of those will take you from point A to point B and on the same local road, it wouldn't make much of a difference from a regular usage perspective.

Ok, but, if the cPanel pricing hadn't changed you wouldn't be using DA, honestly would you? DA was rarely mentioned in the years prior to the cPanel price change, only usually met with a 'just use cPanel' reply.

DA is popular here because the pricing fits, no other reason.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I think @Francisco started offering @DA_Mark DA before price increases. As I remember looking at trying it out around the same time.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited October 2020

@Lee said:

DA = Toyota Corolla. Almost same quality of product, half the cost (or less now), doesn't >have too many bells and whistles.

Ok, but, if the cPanel pricing hadn't changed you wouldn't be using DA, honestly would you? DA was rarely mentioned in the years prior to the cPanel price change, only usually met with a 'just use cPanel' reply.

I can claim that cPanel become popular cause price was Ok for what they offered and they slowly lost that their advantage .... :)

I'm sure I was paying $6 form my first ever vps cPanel license (as addon to vps) in 2005 from spry

and $20 for server license with dedi from then iweb8.com aka iweb.ca before they got iweb.com domain ...

• @Lee said:

Nah man. I stopped using CPanel around 2014/15. Whm was too cumbersome to my liking with boat load of activation. I haven’t logged into any whm panel since that time.

It is true that DA recently gotten popular. But DA still a choice back in the early days and so were interworx.

• @Lee said:

Point taken. We have always kept to ourselves. No advertising, no claiming to be 1:1 with cPanel. DA was intended as a lightweight option at a lower price; not a drop-in replacement for a more evolved product. Most DA discussion was limited to our forums, among our community-minded customer base. I don't think DA was discussed on LET very much, or on the other big hosting forum.

We never intended to be compared to cPanel so this whole thing is a bit unusual to me as well. Good motivation to keep improving, however!

• @DA_Mark said:
    Point taken. We have always kept to ourselves. No advertising, no claiming to be 1:1 with cPanel. DA was intended as a lightweight option at a lower price; not a drop-in replacement for a more evolved product. Most DA discussion was limited to our forums, among our community-minded customer base. I don't think DA was discussed on LET very much, or on the other big hosting forum.

We never intended to be compared to cPanel so this whole thing is a bit unusual to me as well. Good motivation to keep improving, however!

I completely understand what you're saying... but in an effort to add a bit of perspective to this... this explanation is also one of the reasons why we didn't dive head long into DirectAdmin after the cPanel Summer of '19 fiasco.

DirectAdmin - in my opinion - just lacks some polish. The way it's setup it's got a lot of areas for customization... but it lacks a lot of standard ways to accomplish those tasks. The documentation, the reference material all just makes it a bit of a dull product when compared to cPanel.

Now, I could probably live with all of this with DirectAdmin, but I keep thinking an effort is going to be made to make it more polished and appealing. Or I keep thinking that another control panel is going to sweep in and take over the #2 spot on the board. All of that gives me pause to switch everything we've got over to DirectAdmin.

Then the issue just starts to snowball among itself. Why should I shove a lot of time and expense into a DirectAdmin switch when I may not be convinced it's the best alternative choice. It really only makes a lot of sense if we switch the vast majority of our infrastructure over to DirectAdmin (or some other control panel).

DirectAdmin just didn't seem to show a lot of ambition in wanting to compete directly with cPanel. But don't get me wrong, that's your choice to make. Undoubtedly it's going to cost you more money to polish the product into a better cPanel competitor. Perhaps the increase in development cost outweighed the expected number of new users, so it wasn't worth it to you. I'm not blaming you. I'm just offering perspective.

Now, all of that being said, our company will get team members together in the next week or so and discuss possible moves. And out of that discussion we may decide to invest more with DirectAdmin. But just speaking from after the Summer '19 fiasco - this is why we held pause after that.

edited October 2020

Not showing flaming ambition is probably how it has survived thus far.

Which I think is the key point in DA. They've so far stuck with their principles. When there is too much ambitions, when a company grows too big, it leads to corruption and bureaucracy.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin Lee
  • That could very well be true. And don't misinterpret my message. I'm not demanding that they be more ambitious.

I'm just saying - if you want to know why I didn't go head long into DirectAdmin and I'm kind of guessing why some others didn't either - is because of the concern of how polished the product would become.

That's not meant to place fault on either party. But when the question is asked "Why didn't you switch to DirectAdmin after the last fiasco?" This is my answer.

Can't please everyone, especially in this era.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @serv_ee said:

Too many people use GoDaddy to buy domain there and also use web hosting.
    GoDaddy provide very cheap domain $1.5/yearly for first year so there plans attractive to new domain registration/newcustomer

• @Unbelievable said:
    2. Large companies plan- what plans did you make after last years price increase?
    3. How can you long term compete on price when your costs are higher per unit than the larger providers.
    4. Name cheap, I can get 3 sites for 2.88 a month or like 17 a year- is your 7 dollar plan with less than 24/7 support going to entice me?
    5. Everyone is saying yet a gain- build a new panel, it won't happen, you won't- pick a production panel and deal with it.
    6. The world changed this year- yet noone at the lowend seemed to offer custom packages for restaurants, bars, wtc to integrate with grub hub et al. The money and referrals were there- yet I know you are a hosting company not integrators.
    7. noone truly offers ebay, etsy, amazon integration at the low end - companies make money selling their products not building websites- you need to make it easy for comapnies to sell shit.
    8. Not too many sell weebly, squarespace, other competitors - yes they are more expensive but with US labor rates- it really is pay a bit more and save a bunch. A 2 dollar a month plan vs a 20 dollar a month plan that fully embraces ecommerce- I know as an owner what I'd pick.
    9. It's not corona, it's failure to plan and living on the one trick pony of competing on price.

Compete on something else

I agree with your point web hosting provider also increase every year few dollars to there plans.
    Cpanel is not cheap any more.