Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusIO Price Drop! Oplink.net Switching to SolusIO! All New AMD Hardware!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusIO Price Drop! Oplink.net Switching to SolusIO! All New AMD Hardware!

oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

SolusIO License cost is now 2.50/per core now! This is very exciting! With this price drop it makes it viable to resell VPS with now. I encourage LET providers to check out SolusIO and consider it. I posted a review back in May of SolusIO here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/164901/solus-io-control-panel-mini-review

I started testing again about a month ago to check out the progress of the development. They are fixing bugs weekly. https://docs.solus.io/release-notes/

I would say the biggest missing function is to add more than 1 IP per VM. I have talked to SolusIO and they said this should be rolled out soon.

With these license cost changes we have decided to shift away from SolusVM and move to SolusIO. In 2 weeks or less we will be rolling our first nodes managed by SolusIO. Each node will be AMD Ryzen 3900x, 100% local NVME storage.

All new plans & prices. Every plan will included 1 Gb unmetered and DDoS Protection powered by Corero. Two plans will be under the $7/month limit so we can post offers here once the things go live.

The combo AMD+ NVMe+ SolusIO is so fast when building and reinstalling VMs.

Here is the yabs teaser

sh yabs.sh -9r
# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
#                     v2020-09-21                    #
# https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Thu Oct  1 12:45:17 UTC 2020

Basic System Information:
---------------------------------
Processor  : AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
CPU cores  : 1 @ 3792.874 MHz
AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
RAM        : 1.8Gi
Swap       : 0B
Disk       : 50G

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
Read       | 333.76 MB/s  (83.4k) | 3.94 GB/s    (61.6k)
Write      | 334.64 MB/s  (83.6k) | 3.96 GB/s    (61.9k)
Total      | 668.41 MB/s (167.1k) | 7.91 GB/s   (123.6k)
           |                      |                     
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
Read       | 3.89 GB/s     (7.6k) | 3.75 GB/s     (3.6k)
Write      | 4.10 GB/s     (8.0k) | 4.00 GB/s     (3.9k)
Total      | 8.00 GB/s    (15.6k) | 7.75 GB/s     (7.5k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                |                           |                 |                
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | busy            | busy           
Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 820 Mbits/sec   | 871 Mbits/sec  
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 923 Mbits/sec   | 927 Mbits/sec  

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                |                           |                 |                
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | busy            | busy           
Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 832 Mbits/sec   | 860 Mbits/sec  
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 911 Mbits/sec   | 914 Mbits/sec  

Geekbench 4 Benchmark Test:
Test            | Value                         
                |                               
Single Core     | 5795                          
Multi Core      | 5645                          
Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15789681

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
Test            | Value                         
                |                               
Single Core     | 1371                          
Multi Core      | 1369                          
Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/3990521

Thanks
Ryan

Comments

• I really don't understand Solus.io strategy. Create an nice panel, with a lot of new features, but we must use WHMCS for billing part? Also, only postpaid payment method is available (more fraud, more loss). Go for Virtualizor if you like WHMCS, or @fleio for a perfect cloud experience.

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

Even with 2,50€/Core that means 120€/mo Licensing for a single AMD Epyc 7402P Node ... Not switching to Solus.io anytime soon.

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

@Tejy said:
    I really don't understand Solus.io strategy. Create an nice panel, with a lot of new features, but we must use WHMCS for billing part? Also, only postpaid payment method is available (more fraud, more loss). Go for Virtualizor if you like WHMCS, or @fleio for a perfect cloud experience.

Most hosting companies use WHMCS to manage billing. SolusIO is just appealing to the masses with WHMCS. The backend of SolusIO is the most modern of any panel out there. Its not complete, but whats here is solid and super fast.

I really think with the cost reduction more hosting companies can help SolusIO grow and build out more features.

Its hard to beat how stable SolusVM is over the years. I expect SolusIO to follow that same path.

@ChristianDSH said:
    Even with 2,50€/Core that means 120€/mo Licensing for a single AMD Epyc 7402P Node ... Not switching to Solus.io anytime soon.

Check out their partner program :)

Also now: "Total cores beyond 64 do not need to be licensed"

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

That is still very pricey when you start looking at 64 core servers, $160/month just for Solus.IO to be listed on 1 server. Even if you start looking at a more reasonable CPU spec, say a 24 core (2x12 CPUs which we use on a number of systems) that would be $60 per month compared to SolusVM $10 - you have to admit it is a very big increase for a product that isn't even finished yet.

Just hope they don't remove SolusVM for those that run VMs that don't require everything Solus.IO is hoping to have completed in their product.

Thanked by 2Mahfuz_SS_EHL jackb
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@HostMedia said: Just hope they don't remove SolusVM for those that run VMs that don't require everything Solus.IO is hoping to have completed in their product.

Exactly, the same thinking.

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@HostMedia said: Just hope they don't remove SolusVM for those that run VMs that don't require everything Solus.IO is hoping to have completed in their product.

I just dont see how you plan to stay on SolusVM long term. It's hardly being updated.
    In addition your panel and nodes OS will hit end of life at some point.

Reinstalling OS's takes about 15sec for linux, a hair longer for windows 10 pro, windows server 2016 and 2019.

A lot of our decision to switch is based on being able to install on Centos8 vs 7. In addition the raw speed of the panel + hardware.

Cloud-init is also a game changer with templates.

• @oplink said: A lot of our decision to switch is based on being able to install on Centos8 vs 7

And coupled with "OS will hit EOL" - well, CentOS 7 is being updated for another 3+ years and thats a very long time in terms of panels, hardware, software.

@oplink said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

I just dont see how you plan to stay on SolusVM long term. It's hardly being updated.
    In addition your panel and nodes OS will hit end of life at some point.

Reinstalling OS's takes about 15sec for linux, a hair longer for windows 10 pro, windows server 2016 and 2019.

A lot of our decision to switch is based on being able to install on Centos8 vs 7. In addition the raw speed of the panel + hardware.

Cloud-init is also a game changer with templates.

Does SolusIO at least support CEPH like Proxmox does for High available Cluster Storage?

@ChristianDSH said:

Does SolusIO at least support CEPH like Proxmox does for High available Cluster Storage?

NFS only right now. CEPH is in the todo list I think. You can also post ideas to solusIO
    https://features.solus.io/topics/idea/status/all/category/all/sort/updated/page/1

I do agree with these extra support features such as Cloud-Init (big fan of this for a long time) but there are other control panels companies will move too if SolusVM doesn't get the long term support people would like from it.

The cost is still too high as a "replacement" to SolusVM, going from budget to high-end is fine but don't they shouldn't be classing it as a replacement to SolusVM. They are completely different and hopefully, they don't expect most SolusVM customers to want to pay that much of a difference.

Couple alternatives:

• VMManager
    • Virtualizor
  • Do you really trust a company to honor "cheaper" price, when they continue to increase pricing for their other products?

I think the cost isn't too high, when you forget about the "Lowend" world. What some of us sells for $7, most sells for 20 or more. It does include some super neat features for admin and end-users alike, pretty easy to setup, without too many requirements.

With that said, I wouldn't bank on them not holding me hostage down the road with a price increase.

Thanked by 2ViridWeb Shazan

Completely agree with @seriesn on that - good timing with the cPanel price increase. Maybe they worked together:

Solus.io: "Customers want us to lower our prices"
    cPanel: "OK, you lower yours and we will increase ours"
    Solus.io: "Amazing, we will meet our targets one way or the other"

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Plus Plesk has raised the prices too.

The same capital investment co owns plesk, solusio, and cpanel. ;)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2020

ha haahahaha wait before they increase the price again 1 year later.
    The same guys just increased CP pricing.....

To be fair, depending on storage and if cached, a VM deployment in Proxmox only takes 10-30s, I doubt that Solus.IO is faster.

Thanked by 2ChristianDSH Shazan
  • Good luck op!

Thanked by 1oplink
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@stewdetox said:
    Good luck op!

Indeed, he will likely need it.

Thanked by 1ChristianDSH

@Neoon said: To be fair, depending on storage and if cached, a VM deployment in Proxmox only takes 10-30s, I doubt that Solus.IO is faster.

And Proxmox is much more affordable :wink:

• stewdetoxstewdetox Member
    edited October 2020

I don't understand the hype about Solus.IO, what features does it offer that other solutions don't, beside just a fresh UI?

• LeeLee Veteran

Is anyone actually using solus.io?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Lee said:
    Is anyone actually using solus.io?

No, that's why they dropped the price. I know of no host that uses it publicly or even privately.

If this doesn't entice people to move then expect a v1 price hike.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Lee Shazan

@stewdetox said:
    I don't understand the hype about Solus.IO, what features does it offer that other solutions don't, beside just a fresh UI?

Just a few:

• Runs on Centos8
    • Modern backend design. Example: The panel itself runs in dockers. Rabbitmq for ques and logs, Cloud-Init support
    • Quick/Ease of Deployment of nodes
    • Fresh look to UI blows away solusvm or proxmox.
    • Better whmcs module
    • Constantly being updated and improved weekly.
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2020

@oplink said:

@Tejy said:
    I really don't understand Solus.io strategy. Create an nice panel, with a lot of new features, but we must use WHMCS for billing part? Also, only postpaid payment method is available (more fraud, more loss). Go for Virtualizor if you like WHMCS, or @fleio for a perfect cloud experience.

Most hosting companies use WHMCS to manage billing. SolusIO is just appealing to the masses with WHMCS. The backend of SolusIO is the most modern of any panel out there. Its not complete, but whats here is solid and super fast.

I really think with the cost reduction more hosting companies can help SolusIO grow and build out more features.

Its hard to beat how stable SolusVM is over the years. I expect SolusIO to follow that same path.

It's still sucks..

On their documentation overview they are saying this

SolusIO is a virtual infrastructure management solution that allows you, the service provider, to offer a self service platform similar to well-known virtualization services like DigitalOcean, Vultr, Hetzner Cloud, and others.

So using a 3rd party billing software how it's possible?

Yes you can build customized modules easily but then solus must stop saying that..

Edited: Solus reducing price because they didn't received enough users.

I'm sure soon they will increase the price again when they gain enough user base after all they belongs to the same greedy company as cPanel

• @oplink said:

@stewdetox said:

Just a few:

• Runs on Centos8
    • Modern backend design. Example: The panel itself runs in dockers. Rabbitmq for ques and logs, Cloud-Init support
    • Quick/Ease of Deployment of nodes
    • Fresh look to UI blows away solusvm or proxmox.
    • Better whmcs module
    • Constantly being updated and improved weekly.

I am sure all of that is great but non of these are actually new features that other platforms don't already offer!

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2020

@Francisco said: I know of no host that uses it publicly or even privately.

That's what I thought, not that I have been tracking but have never seen a single provider promote it. Seen plenty saying they are going to use it. I remember having a look at 1st launch but my thoughts were simply 'not finished'.

@Lee said: That's what I thought, not that I have been tracking but have never seen a single provider promote it. Seen plenty saying they are going to use it.

No one is going to pay $5 for a quarter baked panel. It's missing countless 'day 1' features like RDNS and even a v1->v2 converter.

It's only recent that they added Reinstall support.

They were desperate to get something on the market because v2 was "Stallion getting 2FA" levels of meme.

Here's the thing, @oplink will regret getting in bed with them. cPanel, a sister company, just did a 75% price hike. Solus.IO will 10000% return to the $5/core pricing once they get a foothold.

If this pricing still doesn't work then expect a v1 price hike to be next.

Francisco

• LeeLee Veteran

@Francisco said: Solus.IO will 10000% return to the $5/core pricing once they get a foothold.

Guaranteed, the common sense approach and I am sure we all said this early on, if you are going to do what we all expect, start at 50c per core then rip the shit out of the price hikes once you get people on board, not start at $5.

edited October 2020

@Lee said: Guaranteed, the common sense approach and I am sure we all said this early on, if you are going to do what we all expect, start at 50c per core then rip the shit out of the price hikes once you get people on board, not start at $5.

See, back in the day before Solus got bought by anyone, they had this grand plan to build v2 as the "OnApp killer". There's a good chance they think that v2 is close enough to that, that they can charge OnApp like pricing.

Fact of the matter is they aren't and they can't. OnApp has now publicly stated that they want to rejigger their pricing to be more competitive in this market.

If OnApp halved their pricing then Solus.IO is DOA, even at 2.50/core. OnApp is leaps/bounds better in every way.

If you're already committing to pay per-core pricing to get into "Cloud", then you might as well pay a bit more and go all the way.

Francisco

• stewdetoxstewdetox Member
    edited October 2020

@oplink , there is no right or wrong in migrating to Solus.io right now. However, based on the company's track record, and, with all the recent changes, it is not a smart move to migrate or start using Solus.io. Everyone is waiting and closely watching to see what happens so thank you for taking one for the team :smiley:

Who knows, maybe in a year or two they up their prices again but you stay grandfathered in (very unlikely) and then you look back at this and realize you've made the right move early on. Or, they up their prices more and everybody else is using Proxmox or Virtualizor and your are fk'd. Or, they lower their prices even more because they realize their current pricing model is not LE friendly and you just wasted few months or years paying a higher price.

As for all the benefits you stated earlier, you really have to stop and think whether everything what you call benefits are really benefits to yourself or the customer. Using CentOS 8 or being on Docker are not benefits. CentOS 7 is still relevant and eventually, just like every other OS update in history, everybody will be on CentOS 8, 9, 10, etc.

As a client, when I sign up with you, I am still going to get my Ubuntu 20.04 VPS whether you are on CentOS 7 or CentOS 8 so there is really no added benefit here beside now, as a provider, you are just paying more!

Thanked by 1oplink