Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS servers for DirectAdmin?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS servers for DirectAdmin?

AmplificatorAmplificator Member
edited September 2020 in General

I'm about to set up a DA system and have most things in place but I am unsure of how to do with DNS servers.

My plan is to get two 1GB servers from UpCloud and install a dns server on those, one being named ns1 and the other ns2.

How exactly do I set up both DA and each DNS server?

Comments

• LeonDynamicLeonDynamic Member
    edited September 2020

Easiest method is to get two other servers, install DA and then use multi-server to setup.
    Look for a provider who offers a free DA licence - BuyVM, Inception Hosting, NexusBytes, etc. If you are only using DA for DNS, it will happily work on a VPS with 512MB.

You could also setup DirectSlave - https://directslave.com/download - on any VPS without a DA licence.

Thanked by 1Babah
  • AmplificatorAmplificator Member
    edited September 2020

How would, say PowerDNS, be set up?
    I'd prefer a solution with no additional things such as a web interface, for simplicity sake.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

This looks promising:

https://directslave.com

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited September 2020

@Amplificator said:
    I'm about to set up a DA system and have most things in place but I am unsure of how to do with DNS servers.

My plan is to get two 1GB servers from UpCloud and install a dns server on those, one being named ns1 and the other ns2.

How exactly do I set up both DA and each DNS server?

Why not simply get 2 directadmin personal license and configure with multi server? Hassle free :).

If you are.not 100% set on upcloud, we include Directadmin personal license for free with any and all of our vps plans :)

• It's definitely a possibility. Let's say I need to expand capacity at some point, wouldn't having 2 different servers be the most flexible?

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

A completely separate PowerDNS cluster is <3 and scales great.

• @RickBakkr said:
    A completely separate PowerDNS cluster is <3 and scales great.

Yeah, if only someone could expand on their answer with what I need to be looking into :)

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@Amplificator said: Yeah, if only someone could expand on their answer with what I need to be looking into

Honestly, it isn't too difficult. Add your backend DirectAdmin servers as Supermasters in PowerDNS and configure AXFR in BIND (DirectAdmin side). I use DirectAdmin hook scripts to push certain changes like creating zones manually, to ensure certain settings are set - without relying on AXFR doing so for us haha.

How about you (or anyone else for that matter) DM me if you get stuck? Happy to help hunt down any issues in your specific setup :)

Thanked by 1tjn