Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Power_On_Hours - How much is too much?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Power_On_Hours - How much is too much?

Power On Hours : 88525
Thats over 10 years...

Model Number: Hitachi HUA722020ALA330

Is this HDD about to die? One of the Servers I have...

How to check if HDD is in good condition?

I have 2 disks... what raid option should I select (Raid0 vs Raid1). Mainly used for storage...

Comments

• Anything beyond 5 years can be considered old. But that doesn't mean that will fall too even though there is a risk.

Going Raid 1 is ideal. But I wouldn't even use that 10 yrs old drive for any of my data. That isn't saving but wasting if anything bad happened.

• @mrclown said:
    Anything beyond 5 years can be considered old. But that doesn't mean that will fall too even though there is a risk.

Going Raid 1 is ideal. But I wouldn't even use that 10 yrs old drive for any of my data. That isn't saving but wasting if anything bad happened.

Thanks. From the hdd model is it possible to identify if it is server grade or desktop grade?

• @plumberg said:

@mrclown said:
    Anything beyond 5 years can be considered old. But that doesn't mean that will fall too even though there is a risk.

Thanks. From the hdd model is it possible to identify if it is server grade or desktop grade?

https://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/pid_lookup.asp?pid=119839

Says enterprise, so likely server grade.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @t0ny0 said:

@plumberg said:

@mrclown said:

https://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/pid_lookup.asp?pid=119839

Says enterprise, so likely server grade.

Thank you so much...

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2020

@plumberg said:
    Thats over 10 years...

I have 2 disks... what raid option should I select (Raid0 vs Raid1). Mainly used for storage...

That's an Hitachi Enterprise 2TB hard drive, they are rated for 1,200,000 hours from factory. In my experience though, usually they live till about 100,000 or so power on hours (or at least that's generally when I try to replace them) usually running fine. Further past that you get, higher likely hood of failure. It also depends how hard you are threshing the drive -- if it is just a archive storage volume and isn't used much, it will last a lot longer than if it is a system drive used constantly.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @TheLinuxBug said:

@plumberg said:
    Thats over 10 years...

That's an Hitachi Enterprise 2TB hard drive, they are rated for 1,200,000 hours from factory. In my experience though, usually they live till about 100,000 or so power on hours (or at least that's generally when I try to replace them) usually running fine. Further past that you get, higher likely hood of failure. It also depends how hard you are threshing the drive -- if it is just a archive storage volume and isn't used much, it will last a lot longer than if it is a system drive used constantly.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanks... I plan to just use for archive storage and not much more after initial dump of backup data... so I am still at a fence whether I should let of this server or not...

• edited August 2020

I have a few 2TB and 3TB HSGT drives with 60k hours and they are as strong today as when I first got em. They're great drives. Yours have plenty of life

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

We still have a bunch of Hitachis from 2010 running in a few backup solutions. Hitachi was damn solid back then. Mentioned drives have over 10 years on them.

Although I wouldn’t have used that in production now, they will most likely be good for a few more years. Archival usage with a backup works :)

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

There are theories saying that if an hard drive survives for 5 years means that it is very good and will last much longer....

Thanked by 2plumberg WebProject
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

And I thought the Seagate Constellations in one of my servers were doing well with 72k each on them

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

I personally do have home NAS and the hdds hasn’t been replaced for last 12 years and still works without any degradation of speed.

• jhjh Member

Are you renting the server? It's a bit different if you are, especially if it's from a budget provider - the expectation would be that the drive is in use until it fails and when it does, it's the provider's responsibility to replace it. In other words, as long as you have RAID mirroring, it's mostly someone else's problem.

• @Shazan said:
    There are theories saying that if an hard drive survives for 5 years means that it is very good and will last much longer....

isn't it only need 1 or 3 years? i have several used HDD that last much longer (actually all of it still working fine till now)