Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for feedback on Jelastic
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for feedback on Jelastic

Hey dear LET community,
Do you have some good or bad feedbacks about Jelastic? As a customer and also as a provider

Thanks

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2020

Getting the best use out of it's functions places it on this list for me:

• Advanced Docker (there's "spinning up a container" and then there's multiple nodes with failover etc)
    • Kubernetes (I still barely know what this is so laugh at me as it likely seems redundant for the one above it)
    • Jelastic

These are mental associations to outline how Jelastic's most beneficial features seem out of reach for a regular old fashioned sysadmin.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited August 2020

@jar said: Kubernetes (I still barely know what this is so laugh at me as it likely seems redundant for the one above it)

A half-assed analogy: docker would be something like lxc/openvz templates, kubernetes would be something like self-healing solusvm 3.0

Jelastic is kind of like what cloud.net/vps.net used to be on onapp, except a third party

Thanked by 2jar raindog308
  • leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

We are a Jelastic partner since 3 years and have only good things to say. Earlier I would say it was more useful for larger applications or websites.

They have since made major improvements in hosting single container websites using the LEMP and LLSMP stacks.

Also, they have launched optimal stacks for WordPress and Magento, and continuously provide new templates for popular applications like Jitsi, Rocketchat etc.

The flexibility offered to customers and the sheer number of locations/providers is unmatched.

Thanked by 1angelius
  • We are offering Jelastic PaaS to our customers for the last 5 years from datacenters in UK and Cyprus.

This platform helps us to easily manage cloud infrastructure and enhance our product line with high performing WordPress and Magento hosting based on the auto-scalable clusters that are pre-configured within Jelastic. Also, it gave us an opportunity to provide our customers with demanded functionality like Docker containers orchestration, Kubernetes clusters, multi-region distribution and others.

In addition, Jelastic solves right-sizing problem for our users, as the platform enables automatic scaling in combination with pay-per-use pricing, so customers don't need to guess how much RAM & CPU they need and keep paying only for actually consumed resources.

So with Jelastic we got a wide choice of supported technologies for new business directions, simplified cloud infrastructure management and a great support.

Thanked by 1angelius
  • It's just a glorified docker. Managed docker if you must. You can even use jelastic docker image without jelastic.

You can just install docker and PORTAINER, and it works about the same.

However as a provider, it's a great asset.

Thanked by 1angelius
  • I have used Jelastic (provider) and were not enthusiastic. Since Jelastic might be able to identify me, I won't go into more detail, just this much: Don't be impressed by empty promises and the professional made spreadsheets they send you to fill out.

@tphil - Pretty obvious that you are a Jelastic employee, or that you have been told to share your experiences in a positive sense. That fits the Jelastic pattern, though. You did think nobody would notice what you did on Stackoverflow?

Thanked by 1angelius
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2020

@Tr33n said:
    @tphil - Pretty obvious that you are a Jelastic employee, or that you have been told to share your experiences in a positive sense. That fits the Jelastic pattern, though. You did think nobody would notice what you did on Stackoverflow?

I enjoy a good shill hunt. It didn't take much searching to find out that @tphil runs a hosting company that seems to offer jelastic: https://scaleforce.net

Which isn't all that surprising since his first words were:

@tphil said: We are offering Jelastic PaaS to our customers

There's also nothing surprising or seemingly off base with his stackoverflow account: https://stackoverflow.com/users/7678643/tphil

It's not really surprising that someone selling a product has good things to say about it, and it's refreshing when they open with that so the reader can have that context and interpret it accordingly. You're allowed to not like something, but no need to try to drag someone else through the mud.

• @jar said: I enjoy a good shill hunt. It didn't take much searching to find out that @tphil runs a hosting company that seems to offer jelastic: https://scaleforce.net

I apologize for not researching before posting my answer. Instead of:

@Tr33n said: Pretty obvious that you are a Jelastic employee, or that you have been told to share your experiences in a positive sense

I should have written:

@Tr33n said: Pretty obvious that you have been told to share your experiences in a positive sense.

My answer is based on the fact that tphil created an account in LET today and gave positive feedback about Jelastic right away. He will not take such an initiative by himself, he will have been instructed by Jelastic to do so. I know how Jelastic works in marketing. It's not unusual for them at all.

@jar said: There's also nothing surprising or seemingly off base with his stackoverflow account:

I should have made my comment clearer, maybe the comment about Stackoverflow was completely superfluous. This was not related to tphil, but to Jelastic itself in the knowledge that Jelastic staff will surely come across this post.

Some providers who actively used Jelastic in 2017 will understand the context. Jelastic as well.

Thanked by 3jar angelius yokowasis
  • My issues it is not with Jelastic but in principle, I do not like software / software vendors that want to become a partner in your business and has such pricing ...

Anyway, Saying that , Jelastic having a option for flat price per node even it is not cheap make them better and to not look so jealous to their customers success than solus.io ( €5 per cpu core license or onapp $12 - if that is still the onapp price)...

Price is on par with solus.io for dual decacore deployments it is a bit more economical than competitors for 24 core EPYCs and dual 12 cores ... and :) offer will be ok when EPYCs 64 become cheap in couple of years >:) hope that they do not go on the greedy way per core as they are selling exact same thing per node...

Thanked by 1angelius
  • siruslansiruslan Member
    edited August 2020

Hi folks, Jelastic co-founder is here. I will leave a few comments as well.

@Tr33n said: Pretty obvious that you have been told to share your experiences in a positive sense.

Sure, we monitor mentions of Jelastic and try to handle arising issues proactively. First of all, the main goal is to identify end customers issues that are not solved by our hosting partners. And of course we handle other kind of mentions. Sometimes we ask our partners to leave a feedback at different sources. For example the message below was posted at our partner slack channel.

Hi, we'll be thankful if you can leave a feedback about Jelastic here [link to this thread].

There is no chantage :) And I believe any modern company should handle public mentions if its team cares about the company brand.

I have used Jelastic (provider) and were not enthusiastic. Since Jelastic might be able to identify me, I won't go into more detail, just this much: Don't be impressed by empty promises and the professional made spreadsheets they send you to fill out.

@Tr33n, can you take off the mask? Tell us your name and explain what was your problem. If you want to help others then do it properly - be constructive and truthful. Otherwise it looks like you just throw shit around. We know that you already sent negative private messages to at least one of our partners.

Some providers who actively used Jelastic in 2017 will understand the context. Jelastic as well.

No, I don't understand the context.

In general, I believe it should be obvious that Jelastic can't work like a magical money making machine for everyone. We have all kind of partners: very successful, successful and moderate, unsuccessful and even some that significantly damaged our brand. But there is a clear pattern - the most successful partners provide very good level of services to their customers.

Not really, you can't do the same as with Jelastic, but of course the exact answer depends on a use case.

I do not like software / software vendors that want to become a partner in your business and has such pricing ...

This is fine. It's normal not to like something. We can't like everyone as well. The world is very diverse.

Anyway, Saying that , Jelastic having a option for flat price per node even it is not cheap make them better and to not look so jealous to their customers success than solus.io ( €5 per cpu core license or onapp $12 - if that is still the onapp price)..

Solus and OnApp are different solutions comparing to Jelastic. The most closest products are OpenShift or Tanzu (ex-Pivotal Cloud Foundry). I can't share their pricing here, but the difference between Jelastic flat pricing and OpenShift pricing is huge ~200%+.

Also, Jelastic was not designed to solve simple problems, it's not for super small customers, it's not for shared hosting. It was designed to get rid of complex tasks related to scaling, high availability, CI/CD, for improving developers productivity at the end.

And just a couple of links for getting a better understanding what problems Jelastic can solve.
    https://wpjohnny.com/jelastic-cloud-platform-review/
    https://reviewsignal.com/blog/enterprise-wordpress-hosting-performance-benchmarks-2020/

Thanked by 2leapswitch coolice
  • Jelastic seems to be a bit slow for me (e.g taking few minutes to just reboot container/git pull), although not really sure if this is a Jelatic thing, a Cloudjiffy thing, or just me setting the resource limit too low.

I’d call Jelastic a semi-managed hosting. More of a Serverpilot or or DA type of thing. For example, if I make a Django app, I would open up Jelastic, select python app, and enter my git info and voila, my app is up and running without me setting up the server.

For an end user experience, Jelastic was pretty great :)

Thanked by 1angelius
  • siruslansiruslan Member
    edited August 2020

or just me setting the resource limit too low.

@sanvit, do you remember the exact limits you set? And actually, why did you set them low? Jelastic is perfect for variable workloads (pull is one of such) - set a high limit (you do not pay for the limits anyway) and container will get the required amount of resources to finish the pull job quickly and then resource usage will return to idle mode with low cost.

Do you have some good or bad feedbacks about Jelastic? As a customer and also as a provider

@angelius and other guys, please take a look at this very fresh article / feedback https://tobyloxy.com/post/deploy-clojure-web-app/. I just found this article today and our team did not ask the author to write it.

Here’s what I like about Jelastic:

• All the DevOps are taken care of for you. You just make your Uberjar and upload it.
    • It’s free for apps with small RAM & CPU usage. You can spin up new servers for hobby projects without worrying about the expense.
    • Automatic vertical scaling (RAM & CPU) and horizontal scaling (multiple servers) means that if your app gets traction it will be able to cope with the load.
    • You pay only for what you use. If your app is mostly idle 95% of the time and has a huge load for 5% of the time, you only pay for the 5% of the time that you’re using RAM/CPU/bandwidth.
    • It’s been around since 2011, so it’s hopefully going to be around for a while longer.
    • Also, it comes with the blessing of James Gosling (the father of Java), which seems like a pretty strong endorsement. He’s actually on the advisory team.
    • Jelastic is not tied to any one hosting provider. It’s a sort of virtualisation layer that lots of different hosting providers use. So, really you’re using Jelastic + Hosting Provider.
    • I personally use MIRhosting, because they have a generous free level in their plan, but you can choose from dozens of different Jelastic hosting providers. They all have slightly different pricing.
  • @siruslan said: do you remember the exact limits you set?

Iirc it was like 1 or 2 cloudlets, so yeah it's probably the limit that caused the slow down. I just wanted to play safe, since I was just testing it, and nothing important was running.

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited August 2020

@siruslan said:

Not really, you can't do the same as with Jelastic, but of course the exact answer depends on a use case.

Well, on most use case it is. Unless I am missing something, Jelastic is based on docker container. So, whatever jelastic can do, docker can do it too.

It's like saying Wordpress can do something that php can't.

I am talking as the end user, not a provider.

• @yokowasis: It's like saying Wordpress can do something that php can't.

Exactly :) Is not it obvious that WordPress provides benefits for a lot of people that do not know how to code in PHP? Or even for those who know PHP but can't afford to write all things from a scratch. There is a tremendous amount of efforts behind WordPress, and it's not only about PHP - it's a mix of technologies including JavaScript, middleware stacks, security configs, etc. If I need to launch a new website I would not write my own CMS in PHP because my life is too short for that and my time is the most valuable asset.

@yokowasis: Jelastic is based on docker container. So, whatever jelastic can do, docker can do it too.

How did you came this conclusion? Have you ever tried Jelastic? The following article might be useful for getting a better understanding about used underlying container technologies https://jelastic.com/blog/container-types/.

I am talking as the end user

Jelastic public cloud providers offer a unique pricing model based on real consumption, not on server size https://jelastic.com/pay-per-use/. This one is loved by the most end users. Of course there are more benefits and advantages, but I do not think I can explain everything in one short comment.

In any case, Portainer is a good solution which is available in Jelastic as well https://jelastic.com/blog/docker-engine-auto-install-connect-ssh-portainer/, however it's a small subset of available options for end users.