Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 Only
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 Only

SlmanSlman Member

Hello everyone,

The idea of selling ipv6 KVM VPS's has always been in my mind (no ipv4), this will lower the costs significantly, what's the pro's and con's if this idea? Why would people love it? or hate it?]

Thanks!

IPv6
  1. Would you buy a kvm vps with IPv6 only?85 votes
    1. YES
      63.53%
    2. NO
      36.47%

Comments

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

I've been looking at the options for IPv6 only/NAT KVMs - but proper higher spec KVM VPS but at a reduced rate with IPv6 only.

The general opinion seemed to be that they'd need to be dirt cheap, and ideally still have IPv4 outgoing (ie, NAT) for making outgoing connections to sites where IPv6 is unavailable.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Had this same discussion with @Mr_Tom on the other forum.

Summary:

• Don't hate the idea of v6-only, already have some v6-only stuff
    • Has to be cheaper than comparable VM with IPv4 included (or the network/service has to be better)
    • NAT64 for outbound v4 connections is a must (connect to github and other v4-only stuff)
    • TCP 4-to-6 inbound proxy is a nice extra, so you don't have to use Cloudflare
    Thanked by 1Mr_Tom
  • rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

About 2 year ago we try sell IPv6 only KVM VPS. But we stop such practice later (within 6 month or so). Two customer still active with this plan...

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • SlmanSlman Member

@rustelekom said:
    About 2 year ago we try sell IPv6 only KVM VPS. But we stop such practice later (within 6 month or so). Two customer still active with this plan...

Why did you stop?

Because most of customer did not get properly that it is only IPv6 plan:) We are tired of explaining the difference between IPv4 and IPv6. We are still not teachers and should sell, not teach...

• SlmanSlman Member

@rustelekom said:
    Because most of customer did not get properly that it is only IPv6 plan:) We are tired of explaining the difference between IPv4 and IPv6. We are still not teachers and should sell, not teach...

So its not a good idea to go into this market (IPv6 ONLY)

• I have seen most bruteforce are using ipv6 though

@Slman said:

@rustelekom said:

So its not a good idea to go into this market (IPv6 ONLY)

Depend from your customer base and market. Here in Russia IPv6 not used so much. Internet providers is not interested to recommend it to end users. Most end users use dynamical IPv4 behind NAT. According internet statistics IPv6 enabled sites is only small part of the worldwide network (around 6% or so)...

• Slman said: So its not a good idea to go into this market (IPv6 ONLY)

there was a service back in the day called lowendspirt for openvz nat vps and little happy cloud for kvm ones. these were ipv6 with shared ipv4 addresses. there was no support adn when you signed up you had to click all these checkboxes acknowledging that you understood support wasn't included and a dedicated ipv4 address wasn't included. it's now gone because despite all that people would sign up and complain about the lack of an ipv4 address and a lot of them would simply chargeback on paypal.

basically people don't pay attention and just click whatever.

Thanked by 1rustelekom
  • hzrhzr Member

Slman said: So its not a good idea to go into this market (IPv6 ONLY)

It's a great idea if your customers aren't stupid.

• SlmanSlman Member

@hzr said:

Slman said: So its not a good idea to go into this market (IPv6 ONLY)

It's a great idea if your customers aren't stupid.

Here is my problem.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • I wouldn't recommend it. Personally, customers are (as @Abdussamad said) not willing to "read" or "learn" other things that they deem granted in "normal" hosting.

• JustVPSJustVPS Member, Host Rep

Five to ten more years left before moving to IPv6 and abandoning IPv4

Last November, free IPv4 addresses ran out. Now only returnable address pools are available in the "secondary" market, which is far from always legal. Palliative measures like CG-NAT or the simultaneous support of both versions of the protocol only complicate the work of the Network and slow down the process of rejecting IPv4.

There is no problem with the standard as such; it is a mature technology for a long time. According to Google, IPv6 penetration is about a third, in some countries approaching 50%. In a comment on The Register, RIPE NCC spokesman Marco Hogewoning noted that five to ten years can pass before IPv4 is abandoned. And there are a number of reasons. In particular, despite the fact that at least minimal support for the new protocol has long been in software and hardware, not everyone is ready to use it, as this will require investment in updating, configuring, and optimizing the entire associated infrastructure.

• xaocxaoc Member

A while back i tried to install net core on an v6 only VM. Apparently Microsoft does not think that them repos should have Ipv6. Contacted the repo maintainer and after a few weeks they told me that at the current time ipv6 is not possible. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples there where things might go wrong with v6 only so if you do this, NAT v4 is probably best.

• hohlhohl Member
    edited June 2020

There might be a market for a virtual server without an IPv4 assigned. I wouldn't used it to host anything facing the public such as a web server, thought it might be useful for internal services where you can ensure IPv6 availability.

But, there are already providers of such a service: the Austrian provider IPAX, for example, provides their smallest 1€/month VPS without an IPv4 assigned but just an IPv6. The irony of it: as far as I'm aware of the major Austrian ISPs (A1, Drei, Magenta) still do not provide IPv6 to their private customers.

• AidanAidan Member

@rustelekom said: Here in Russia IPv6 not used so much.

Facing the same issue in pretty much the whole of Africa, specifically in the consumer/home space.

None of the major ISP's in South Africa are currently offering IPv6 at the moment:

• Not each solution need IPv4, it's good idea for recuding costs for small projects.
    There are problems when you need mail server etc.

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

We're already offering IPv6 only KVM VPS, but there are still many people who don't have IPv6 at their Internet Provider, so the VPS is useless unless you buy an IPv4 as well.

• Sorry to bring this thread back up again.
    But isn't there a web shh service that can ssh via ipv6?

• edited September 2020

@mezoology said:
    Sorry to bring this thread back up again.

SSH from your computer that connected to pretty fcking cheap NAT VPS.. only $4 / year.. you will get a dual stack NAT IPv4 and an IPv6..

• Glad, India is Ipv6 ready & friendly

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • @chocolateshirt said:

@mezoology said:

SSH from your computer that connected to pretty fcking cheap NAT VPS.. only $4 / year.. you will get a dual stack NAT IPv4 and an IPv6..

I tried to putty an ipv6 vps while connecting to openvpn on a ipv4/6 vps. didnt work for me.

• Ipv6 is fine thank God Cloudflare to the rescue. You should also provide an Ipv4 console-based account so a customer can log in to their VPS if their ISP does not provide Ipv6.

• edited September 2020

@mezoology said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@mezoology said:

I tried to putty an ipv6 vps while connecting to openvpn on a ipv4/6 vps. didnt work for me.

There is something wrong with your configuration. You should enable IPv6 forwarding. While connected to OpenVPN, you could check using https://ipv6-test.com/ to see your IPv6 address enabled or not.

• mezoologymezoology Member
    edited September 2020

@chocolateshirt said:

@mezoology said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@mezoology said:

There is something wrong with your configuration. You should enable IPv6 forwarding. While connected to OpenVPN, you could check using https://ipv6-test.com/ to see your IPv6 address enabled or not.

Yea, I think the 'OpenVPN access server' uses only ipv4, needs some configuration.
    Also, do you recommend NAT VPS host? don't see them much now.

• @mezoology said:
    Yea, I think the 'OpenVPN access server' uses only ipv4, needs some configuration.
    Also, do you recommend NAT VPS host? didn't see them much now.

Use this OpenVPN installer

• edited September 2020

@mezoology said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@mezoology said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@mezoology said:

Also, do you recommend NAT VPS host? don't see them much now.

Well LowEndSpirit group is the king of dirt cheap NAT, World Domination check MrVM deals @mikho, GullosHosting @Cam and recently WebHorizon @Abdullah7310 also provide it.

Also I think better you use WireGuard, with @Nyr one click script installer you could own a blazing cheap VPN server. If you need old tech OpenVPN, he also create one click script installer one like @AmirGT mentioned above.

Thanked by 1Abd
  • mezoologymezoology Member
    edited September 2020

Thank you @chocolateshirt and @AmirGT for the advice.
    I'll look into WireGuard since everyone recommending it over OpenVPN now.

as for the Hosts:

1- MrVM: unlimited but over 100mb/s even with no bandwidth guarantee. is the 128M RAM is enough?

2- GullosHosting: no mention for the port speed, bandwidth quota is 125GB per year or month?

3- WebHorizon: the most expensive ($13) still with no port speed info.

• edited September 2020

@mezoology said:
    Thank you @chocolateshirt and @AmirGT for the advice.
    I'll look into WireGuard since everyone recommending it over OpenVPN now.

as for the Hosts:

1- MrVM: unlimited but over 100mb/s even with no bandwidth guarantee. is the 128M RAM is enough?

2- GullosHosting: no mention for the port speed, bandwidth quota is 125GB per year or month?

3- WebHorizon: the most expensive ($13) still with no port speed info.

MrVM for 128 MB monthly bandwidth around ~300 GB. 128 MB NAT VPS is more than enough for only WireGuard.

This is @Nyr WireGuard script installer in case you want to install it: https://github.com/Nyr/wireguard-install

• MrVM and GullosHosting do not accept MasterCard. too bad.