Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

South African NAT VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

South African NAT VPS?

MikaeelZAMikaeelZA Member, Host Rep

I haven't been able to find any NAT Providers in South Africa, especially ones that are low cost. The server rates from the mainstream providers here are crazy expensive, and if you want a simple proxy or VPN, it's quite absurd.

I want to know if there's an interest in it, do we have any South African's here?

Comments

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

GestionDBI used to offer NAT VPS in South Africa. AFAIK the node was kind of sponsored by @Zappie .

While I'd be interested in getting a NAT VPS in that location again, I'm unsure whether there's sufficient interest.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

https://gcorelabs.com/hosting/vds/ is 5 Euro for a non-NAT full IPv4 and IPv6 at Johannesburg. I hope you don't consider 5 euro also crazy expensive given the location.

• umiumi Member
    edited June 2020

Oneprovider.com has Johannesburg for 3 USD/mo KVM vps with 1 ipv4 in ex-Hetzner DC with 500Gigs of traffic and you can select autosuspension when overusage. I guess it's pretty awesome ;) You also can have Singapore&Sydney&HongKong for same $3 with them. HK is with Leaseweb with no China connectivity, Singapore&Sydney are from OVH DCs. They also have Tokyo with their own facility.

• jeromezajeromeza Member
    edited June 2020

Saffer here - I don't know of any cheap ZA based VPS's - other than host1plus which I used to use for small things (had 70-80% discount code at one point - which was JHB based.

We should have a lot more options now - given AWS is here in CPT and Azure is here in CPT and JHB.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

You also can have Singapore&Sydney&HongKong for same $3 with them

They also have Tokyo

Did you verify those all and ZA are actually available for $3? In the past they had a sudden restriction appearing only after you pay, that the cheapest plan is not available in many of their locations, in the sought-after ones like these.

• umiumi Member
    edited June 2020

I tested Johannesburg,Lisbon,Dubai,Vancouver,Seattle,L.A.,HongKong,Sydney,Singapore and Tokyo since February. Only Tokyo was unavailable for $3 once last month and an HK vps did not come alive after start. I lost 1 cent on it ;) Next day all was working as it should there. Quite an interesting provider. To spin up a VPS you must have at least $5 balance. No ipv6 though. So now, after I have posted it here they well may be out of stock in some locations ;) Billing is accurate $3/mo as advertised. No hidden charges.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • If you need more traffic, you can try https://www.photonvps.com/linux.html

$5.95/m for 2TB @ 100mbps

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Will recommend https://zappiehost.com/south-africa-linux-vps-servers for stability but it is not NAT.

Perhaps @Zappie can cut you a deal.

• umiumi Member

True KVM is better than LXC for isolation, security and overall system stability.