Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

netcup RS 4000 G9 [EPYC] vs. BuyVM 8GB [Ryzen]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

yaxewenajyaxewenaj Member
edited June 2020 in General

Which one would you choose for legal hosting of personal/family/company stuff (Some Wordpress sites, development environment, docker, some git, whatever), and why?

netcup RS 4000 G9 a1
6 dedicated vCores AMD EPYC 7702 
32GB RAM
800GB SSD (RAID 10)
29EUR/month (~$32/month)

BuyVM 8GB (Ryzen, LV)
2 dedicated vCores AMD AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
8GB RAM
160GB NVMe
$30USD/month

Assume that BuyVM with Ryzen is in their LUX location (it will arrive there one day) to have comparable geographical location. I am asking mostly because I see BuyVM pretty much loved here but I fail to see the advantage. All I know is that you would not be able to nest virtualize with netcup without spending extra money.

Please no flame.

1. Which one would you get?105 votes
    1. netcup RS 4000 G9
      73.33%
    2. BuyVM 8GB
      26.67%

Comments

• Looking at the specs Netcup but I would pick buyvm instead as no lock in contract and much better support or attitude towards their customers.

• AndruAndru Member

I think netcup is your choice.

Thanked by 1yaxewenaj
  • @mrclown said:
    Looking at the specs Netcup but I would pick buyvm instead as no lock in contract and much better support or attitude towards their customers.

I believe you on the support but the price I put here for netcup is the monthly one. You have to cancel it by yourself but it is on a monthly basis.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • PineappleBoxPineappleBox Member
    edited June 2020

yaxewenaj said: I believe you on the support but the price I put here for netcup is the monthly one. You have to cancel it by yourself but it is on a monthly basis.

While that is their pricing, their billing practices are fairly questionable.

However, to build on everyone else's points, from BuyVM you'll receive the option of far better locations, extremely prem support, multiple free licenses and better single-core performance in comparison to netcup.
    From netcup you will receive much more powerful hardware, but you're stuck in Germany and cannot change your location.
    Regardless, both of these are very good deals (IMO).

Thanked by 2Levi yaxewenaj
  • AK_KWHAK_KWH Member, Patron Provider

I think buyvm because there are many advantages like free da blesta and Softaculous And especially no billing contract if ur not interested in all these then go with netcup

Thanked by 2yaxewenaj coreflux
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2020

@yaxewenaj said:

@mrclown said:
    Looking at the specs Netcup but I would pick buyvm instead as no lock in contract and much better support or attitude towards their customers.

I believe you on the support but the price I put here for netcup is the monthly one. You have to cancel it by yourself but it is on a monthly basis.

If it's a monthly contract and legal stuff you are going to host then, by all means, I'd choose the better specs. If it was close in terms of specs I'd favour Fran, but the huge difference in Specs (leaving aside a CPU comparison since both are really good CPUs) would make me pick Netcup. Then again I haven't left Netcup happily, and wanted to dodge them so I'd probably order an all you can eat instead. If you are looking to get DA/Blesta, BuyVM could be more interesting to you.

Anyway, make of it what you will ;)

Thanked by 3yaxewenaj coreflux Ouji
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Fran > all

If you want DA and Softaculous you're gonna get those free with Fran, whereas a host without an internal license deal is going to cost you an extra $15-30/mo depending on how many accounts you need. Another benefit would be Magic Transit DDoS mitigation if that's a concern.

Totally depends on your utilization and if you need those extra resources more than the freebies/features BuyVM offers.

Thanked by 1yaxewenaj
  • icryicry Member

Stay away from netcup. They would sue you if you say, you don't need the VPS after a month :D

Just kidding, but they would act like that. I learnt it the hard way.

• @icry said:
    Stay away from netcup. They would sue you if you say, you don't need the VPS after a month :D

Just kidding, but they would act like that. I learnt it the hard way.

Well you've signed a contract, didn't you? You hear these kind of things a lot about providers that work with contracts, but it only tells me that the customer didn't read what he signed.

Let's compare it with a contract you've got with an employer. You sign a one year contract and after three months your employer stops paying you because he doesn't need you anymore. It just doesn't work that way.

Anyway. These products are very different from eachother. You choose between a lot of low clockspeed cores or 2 (dedicated) high speed cores. A lot of SSD storage or plenty NVMe storage. These machines are for different use cases. So what you'd choose depends on what you're going to do with it.

BuyVM and Netcup are both good providers, but with a very different culture. That could be of influence as well. The networks are different: Netcup is DE only but has a well peered network with transit diversity. With BuyVM you've got a choice of locations, but the European one is single homed behind Cogent. BuyVM gives you freebies, Netcup doesn't.

I could go on for a while.

Thanked by 1yaxewenaj
  • BuyVM has a lot of nice freebies and higher clock speed from Ryzen. Even so, 6 dedicated cores with Epyc would probably outperform 2 dedicated Ryzen cores.

If you're running anything in production/company, I'd suggest netcup. Their network is superior and has much better uptime. I was using BuyVM in LV for some months, but had to move my production stuff off as it was plagued with network/power issues (No redundant PSU yet on Ryzen). Hopefully this has been resolved.

Thanked by 2yaxewenaj vimalware
  • AK_KWH said: I think buyvm because there are many advantages like free da blesta and Softaculous And especially no billing contract if ur not interested in all these then go with netcup

I think buyvm would never beat netcup's offer considering the difference of 24gb(~4x) ram and 640gb(~5x) worth of decent disk

unless they got a location that you want, or you been with them for a while(they're pretty decent), no, the netcup offer is better

Thanked by 1yaxewenaj
  • I'd go with BuyVM, it doesn't take a genius to work out the prices that netcup charge really aren't sustainable without some form of overselling taking place.

Thanked by 1yaxewenaj
  • yaxewenajyaxewenaj Member
    edited June 2020

@WSCallum said:
    I'd go with BuyVM, it doesn't take a genius to work out the prices that netcup charge really aren't sustainable without some form of overselling taking place.

That is what I was wondering, but virtual cores and RAM are dedicated.

What is left out mostly is network and storage. Network they guarantee 120TB/month on a 2.5 gbit/s line before limiting you (edit: and no more than 1 hour straight at >= 1gbit/s on average). Storage is SSD on RAID10, but how much can you oversell with all storage they provide per plan?

• @WSCallum said:
    I'd go with BuyVM, it doesn't take a genius to work out the prices that netcup charge really aren't sustainable without some form of overselling taking place.

Yea, curious about this as well. Although their current size and longevity would suggest they wouldn’t disappear any time soon.

• Ponury_TypPonury_Typ Member
    edited June 2020

BuyVM doesn't give You freebies, those "free" addons are calculated into vm price ...

• @yaxewenaj said:

@WSCallum said:

That is what I was wondering, but virtual cores and RAM are dedicated.

What is left out mostly is network and storage. Network they guarantee 120TB/month on a 2.5 gbit/s line before limiting you (edit: and no more than 1 hour straight at >= 1gbit/s on average). Storage is SSD on RAID10, but how much can you oversell with all storage they provide per plan?

You'll notice on the vast majority of these cheap plans that the specs are high - You don't see your typical 1GB RAM 20GB storage that most provide. You buy a nice decent spec plan on a node with a lot of capacity, the vast majority won't need or even require the full specs of their plans (they just buy them because they're a good deal for the specs) and they know this - I would put money on saying on average the vast majority of their customers probably don't use anywhere near the specifications that are within their plan, therefore if they are careful and monitor the situation well, theres nothing to stop them overselling by 50% on nodes which have plenty of movement room.

• Netcup still hasn't reached ssdnodes level of overselling fail.

Someday I shall sign up when they waive eu VAT for other private nationals.

• Magic transit.

Thanked by 1yaxewenaj
  • @SCAM_DONT_BUY said:
    Magic transit.

Is BuyVM using it in production for their DDOS protected IPs?

• yaxewenaj said: Is BuyVM using it in production for their DDOS protected IPs?

Correct.

Thanked by 2yaxewenaj duckeeyuck
  • chrispchrisp Member

@mrclown said:

I would 100% agree here. Attitude towards their customers is not great compared to BuyVM. Location and specs are better, but I would not want to host production stuff with netcup personally. Just as an example I have some domains with them and it is not possible to take domains out of a webhosting package. I wanted to cancel the webhosting package and keep the domains for their regular price, but no solutions offered. They are really not bad, but my gut feeling would whisper BuyVM

• pbxpbx Member
    edited June 2020

Given the spec difference I'd not hesitate and choose Netcup.

I believe their network is better than what BuyVM offers in LU (Cogent). If you need some BuyVM special features, it could be a great choice, but if you need the extra RAM & cores, NetCup's pricing is hard to beat.

The contract thing is not really a problem if you're looking for a place where to host mid-long term.

But why do you compare those two, as they have totally different specs? If you're fine with the amount of storage and RAM of the BuyVM VPS, you could compare BuyVM 8GB with RS 1000 G9 (two cores, 160GB SSD for EUR10 or 8.40 with a yearly contract on the .de site).

Price difference in this case makes Netcup a clear winner if you are fine with DE and what this implies.

• Netcup is a solid production class provider... no doubts on that, however they are stubborn and too tied up to their "contract" when it comes to adjustments, there is no personal touch to a customer's plea regarding billing. Be careful if signing up annually

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2020

Ultimately, I think it really comes down to OPs needs. If required, the extra cores and RAM will do good. If not, perhaps some prem service and license freebies may be the better pick.

Since it was mentioned above that netcup is not a provider fit for production I'd like to concurr. For all I dislike their practices sometimes, they are still a stable provider offering great performance for the buck.

Thanked by 1yaxewenaj
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@yaxewenaj said:
    Which one would you choose for legal hosting of personal/family/company stuff (Some Wordpress sites, development environment, docker, some git, whatever), and why?

The netcup VDS, of course, no question.
    6 (albeit) slower Zen2 vCores will always outperform 2 faster ones. NVMe may be faster than (good) R10 SSDs but probably not by much plus your data is safer than (presumable) single NVMe. But the real killer argument for me is 32 GB mem. vs 8 GB.

@PineappleBox said:
    While that is their pricing, their billing practices are fairly questionable.

That's BS. (a) they are a german company and bound by german/EU laws, (b) they need to run a tight ship, and (c) it's one way (among others) to deal with trouble.

I actually am a customer of theirs and I'm really happy with both their friendly support and the VDS.

Thanked by 2yaxewenaj vimalware
  • jsg said: I actually am a customer of theirs and I'm really happy with both their friendly support and the VDS.

The reason I made that point was because I was also using a VDS from them for a while. They are, without a doubt, a great business and their prices are extremely good, that was just in comparison to BuyVM's services. Also, I must disagree on your point about having more cores; while BuyVM has less cores, because they're much higher in single threaded performance, they are very important for running gameservers for applications such as Minecraft.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited June 2020

@PineappleBox said:
    The reason I made that point was because I was also using a VDS from them for a while. They are, without a doubt, a great business and their prices are extremely good, that was just in comparison to BuyVM's services. Also, I must disagree on your point about having more cores; while BuyVM has less cores, because they're much higher in single threaded performance, they are very important for running gameservers for applications such as Minecraft.

I do quite a lot of performance critical code and I can tell you from experience that memory (read: lots of it) - and processor cache being at that - usually is by far more important than CPU performance.

So, yes, there are cases where single core performance is decisive but usually its significance for performance is valued too highly, especially on servers.

As for BuyVM I never had a VPS, VDS or dedi with them but from what I've seen and heard I have every reason to believe that BuyVM is a fine provider. But for me the OP question wasn't about company A vs. company B but rather about VDS A vs. VDS B - and in that regard the netcup offer just is far more attractive for most use cases.

My point re. your post was mainly about netcup often being smeared (e.g. as "questionable") based on some singular user reports which indeed are questionable plus herd dynamics leading to many just mindlessly echoing the "wisdom".
    Running a tight ship and a hard line just happens to be the basis and defense netcup chose against e.g. "smart tips" in e.g. some chinese forum that lead to an inflow of indeed questionable customers. The relevant point however is how a provider treats his serious honest customers - and there netcup really shines.

It's about time to clean up that "netcup is questionable" nonsense.

• I really love BuyVM... But price wise Netcup seems to win easy. I mean, you want to do few stuffs so you need most space you can have and here Netcup is offering you kind of a dedicated.

For LUX Ryzen with BuyVM, you may have to wait until beginning of 2021 from my understanding.

At this price range i may even check deicated offers from KimSufi or SoYouStart or Ikoula.

Thanked by 1yaxewenaj
  • Thanks, everyone, for commenting so far! So, despite some negative comments on Netcup billing system, I bought 1 month of the server for giving it a spin. I can even return it within 30 days, and they will refund me.

Here is some bench. Feel free to ask for more! What do you think of these numbers? @jsg, I know you from your benchmark, so I guess you would be pretty knowledgeable here. I am mostly surprised by single core performance. It seems on par with what I've seen in BuyVM thread.

ServerScope UnixBench

UnixBench (all CPUs)
    UnixBench (one CPU)

FIO

fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=4k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randrw --rwmixread=75

read: IOPS=53.3k, BW=208MiB/s (218MB/s)
    write: IOPS=17.8k, BW=69.6MiB/s (73.0MB/s)

fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=64k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randrw --rwmixread=75

read: IOPS=12.8k, BW=799MiB/s (838MB/s)
    write: IOPS=4267, BW=267MiB/s (280MB/s)

fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=4k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randrw --rwmixread=50

read: IOPS=17.3k, BW=67.5MiB/s
    write: IOPS=17.3k, BW=67.4MiB/s (70.7MB/s)

fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=64k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randrw --rwmixread=50

read: IOPS=9098, BW=569MiB/s (596MB/s)
    write: write: IOPS=9115, BW=570MiB/s (597MB/s)

fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=4k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randread

read: IOPS=80.4k, BW=314MiB/s (329MB/s)

fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=64k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randread

read: IOPS=45.6k, BW=2852MiB/s (2991MB/s)

fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=4k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randwrite

write: IOPS=75.8k, BW=296MiB/s (310MB/s)

fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=64k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randwrite

write: IOPS=45.4k, BW=2840MiB/s (2978MB/s)

YABS (i/o part)

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    ---------------------------------
    Block Size | 4kb           (IOPS) | 64kb          (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 170.83 MB/s  (42.7k) | 2.11 GB/s    (33.0k)
    Write      | 171.28 MB/s  (42.8k) | 2.12 GB/s    (33.2k)
    Total      | 342.11 MB/s  (85.5k) | 4.24 GB/s    (66.3k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512kb         (IOPS) | 1mb           (IOPS)
      ------   | -----          ----  | ---            ----
    Read       | 3.52 GB/s     (6.8k) | 3.64 GB/s     (3.5k)
    Write      | 3.70 GB/s     (7.2k) | 3.88 GB/s     (3.7k)
    Total      | 7.23 GB/s    (14.1k) | 7.53 GB/s     (7.3k)

IOPING

ioping -c 10 .

min/avg/max/mdev = 247.0 us / 261.0 us / 287.5 us / 12.2 us
    9 requests completed in 2.15 ms, 36 KiB read, 4.20 k iops, 16.4 MiB/s
    generated 10 requests in 9.00 s, 40 KiB, 1 iops, 4.44 KiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 193.5 us / 238.4 us / 269.6 us / 22.9 us

YABS (i/o)

Thu 04 Jun 2020 05:23:02 PM CEST

Basic System Information:
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7702P 64-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 6 @ 1996.249 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 31Gi
    Swap       : 0B
    Disk       : 788G

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4kb           (IOPS) | 64kb          (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 159.53 MB/s  (39.8k) | 1.61 GB/s    (25.2k)
    Write      | 159.95 MB/s  (39.9k) | 1.62 GB/s    (25.3k)
    Total      | 319.49 MB/s  (79.8k) | 3.23 GB/s    (50.5k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512kb         (IOPS) | 1mb           (IOPS)
      ------   | -----          ----  | ---            ----
    Read       | 3.36 GB/s     (6.5k) | 3.60 GB/s     (3.5k)
    Write      | 3.54 GB/s     (6.9k) | 3.84 GB/s     (3.7k)
    Total      | 6.90 GB/s    (13.4k) | 7.44 GB/s     (7.2k)

Geekbench

(from two different YABS runs)

Geekbench 5
    Single Core     | 1029
    Multi Core      | 5039

Geekbench 4 Benchmark Test:
    Single Core     | 4635
    Multi Core      | 20516

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • refikrefik Member

@Ponury_Typ said:
    BuyVM doesn't give You freebies, those "free" addons are calculated into vm price ...

So if you dont like DA or other license they provide, you get vm cheaper?