Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What programming language DigitalOcean, Vultr using for their control panel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What programming language DigitalOcean, Vultr using for their control panel?

Guys, do you know what programming language DigitalOcean, Vultr using for their control panel? I am interested to know about it.

Comments

• maybe python, DO's 1 click install app use python.

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

php

/s

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@Xsltel said:
    php

/s

Just cus I am curious, why do so many people seem to "hate" PHP? It definitely has short comings but so has every language or tool.

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

CConner said: Just cus I am curious, why do so many people seem to "hate" PHP? It definitely has short comings but so has every language or tool.

I don't hate it. I use it every day. I even created Wolfixy with it.
    however, for silicon valley companies it's considered a 3rd world country programming language for various reasons. (no unit testing, not a general purpose-focused, etc...)

Thanked by 1khalequzzaman
  • You can check their tech stack on stackshare

• LeeLee Veteran

Do do not use PHP for their panel.

• LeviLevi Member

DO use RoR. At least for backend. Vultr - who knows.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Maybe @jar knows what they used to develop the control panel, since he used to work for DigitalOcean

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

LTniger said: DO use RoR

No wonder they need 200 developers. Jesus Christ.

Francisco

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2020

CConner said: Just cus I am curious, why do so many people seem to "hate" PHP? It definitely has short comings but so has every language or tool.

Modern PHP is okay, at least the language itself (less so the standard library). PHP 5.x and before had some design choices that made it difficult to maintain large applications. These choices still give PHP today a bad reputation, and while some of that is unfair (since the language has improved), I think many PHP developers are still using outdated practices that arose due to these choices (and so a lot of new software in PHP continues to be bad). Also, the standard library arguably matters more than the language, and it still seems to suck.

Examples of design choices:

• One obvious example is the CGI-like interface that was utilized even in popular applications like phpbb; it makes it easy to test small scripts but it leads to hard-to-maintain code in larger software systems. Nowadays most applications use a framework like Laravel that involve defining routes/endpoints instead of exposing all of the PHP scripts directly.
    • Magic quotes was terrible. And a lot of functionality depended on the PHP configuration, which made it difficult to write code that works well in all environments.
    • exec was the common way to run external programs and there wasn't an alternative in the standard library to do it better (passing in command-line arguments separately instead of all in one string). In fact, the documentation still recommends the user to manually call escapeshellarg. In languages that don't suck, the standard library encourages passing command-line arguments as a list so that the library can handle escaping.
    • Same as exec for the SQL libraries before PDO

There were also just a lot of things missing from the language that have since been resolved:

• Code like "f($x)[0]" wouldn't work, you needed to store it in a variable first like "$y = f($x); $y[0]"
    • Defining arrays "array(1, 2, 3)" was overly verbose
    • Functions had to be referenced through strings (see example). Not sure if this is still the case, but at least there are anonymous functions now.

Edit: see also https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/90560/php-references

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Unbelievable said: Maybe @jar knows what they used to develop the control panel, since he used to work for DigitalOcean

Aye @LTniger got it right

Thanked by 1Yakooza
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@perennate said:

Modern PHP is okay, at least the language itself (less so the standard library). PHP 5.x and before had some design choices that made it difficult to maintain large applications. These choices still give PHP today a bad reputation, and while some of that is unfair (since the language has improved), I think many PHP developers are still using outdated practices that arose due to these choices (and so a lot of new software in PHP continues to be bad). Also, the standard library arguably matters more than the language, and it still seems to suck.

Examples of design choices:

• One obvious example is the CGI-like interface that was utilized even in popular applications like phpbb; it makes it easy to test small scripts but it leads to hard-to-maintain code in larger software systems. Nowadays most applications use a framework like Laravel that involve defining routes/endpoints instead of exposing all of the PHP scripts directly.
    • Magic quotes was terrible. And a lot of functionality depended on the PHP configuration, which made it difficult to write code that works well in all environments.
    • exec was the common way to run external programs and there wasn't an alternative in the standard library to do it better (passing in command-line arguments separately instead of all in one string). In fact, the documentation still recommends the user to manually call escapeshellarg. In languages that don't suck, the standard library encourages passing command-line arguments as a list so that the library can handle escaping.
    • Same as exec for the SQL libraries before PDO

There were also just a lot of things missing from the language that have since been resolved:

• Code like "f($x)[0]" wouldn't work, you needed to store it in a variable first like "$y = f($x); $y[0]"
    • Defining arrays "array(1, 2, 3)" was overly verbose
    • Functions had to be referenced through strings (see example). Not sure if this is still the case, but at least there are anonymous functions now.

Edit: see also https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/90560/php-references

Real shame HHVM never really took off. Feel like that would have been the perfect successor to PHP.

• Vultr has been using PHP from the start.

DO as already have been said - RoR.

Thanked by 2pluush Yakooza
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Francisco said: No wonder they need 200 developers. Jesus Christ.

What did you use for Stallion?

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @raindog308 said:

Francisco said: No wonder they need 200 developers. Jesus Christ.

What did you use for Stallion?

CodeIgniter (Most popular PHP framework at that time, still used on some big websites, businesses).

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

The main issue with modern PHP is it's ecosystem when compared with the likes of NPM.

I used to find myself writing quick projects in PHP but these days I'm much more likely to start a new project in Node. Primary reason is ecosystem. NOTE: I'm not saying NodeJS beats PHP on every front (it doesnt).

On the PHP front I'm actually looking forward to PHP 8 with JIT. The engine needs a big boost to compete with modern players and that might just be it.

• Francisco said: No wonder they need 200 developers. Jesus Christ.

You're hurting me and my precious gems

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • DigitalOcean and Vultr both use a combination of custom and open source technologies for their control panels. DigitalOcean's control panel is built using Python, JavaScript and Ruby, while Vultr's is built using PHP, HTML and JavaScript.

• @coreyelliott said:
    DigitalOcean and Vultr both use a combination of custom and open source technologies for their control panels. DigitalOcean's control panel is built using Python, JavaScript and Ruby, while Vultr's is built using PHP, HTML and JavaScript.

Good to listen to old records. Congrats on your first necropost as well.

• @coreyelliott said:
    DigitalOcean and Vultr both use a combination of custom and open source technologies for their control panels. DigitalOcean's control panel is built using Python, JavaScript and Ruby, while Vultr's is built using PHP, HTML and JavaScript.

Please don't necropost -- read the rules

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.