Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup root server VS Hetzner Auction Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup root server VS Hetzner Auction Server

yokowasisyokowasis Member
edited April 2020 in General

I have 8 core netcup root server from a few years back.

How is it fare against dedicated hetzner around 60 eur like i7 3970 or e5 1650?

It will be used for web apps with heavy writing / reading from the database (php front-end, nodejs backend, about 10K user daily.)

tl;dr

12 eur netcup vs 60 eur hetzner.

Comments

• pbxpbx Member

yokowasis said: 12 eur netcup vs 60 eur hetzner.

A yabs.sh of your current server with geekbench would help us know how more powerful the new server will be but if it's enough for your needs I see no reason to switch to hetzner! (Root server work great, comes with RAID protected storage, and you don't have to care for an eventual hardware failure as they monitor and fix the nodes...)

• Depends what the other specs of the dedi are. SSD or HDD etc.

• @WSCallum said:
    Depends what the other specs of the dedi are. SSD or HDD etc.

Both are SSD. and RAM doesn't really matter. They both come with plenty of RAM. It's pretty much the contest on how fast they can handle user request.

So, RAW POWER ? I think.

• @pbx said:

yokowasis said: 12 eur netcup vs 60 eur hetzner.

A yabs.sh of your current server with geekbench would help us know how more powerful the new server will be but if it's enough for your needs I see no reason to switch to hetzner! (Root server work great, comes with RAID protected storage, and you don't have to care for an eventual hardware failure as they monitor and fix the nodes...)

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-02-10                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Thu Apr 23 19:37:17 CEST 2020

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v4 @ 2.40GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 2399.994 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 11G
    Swap       : 0B
    Disk       : 59G

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4kb           (IOPS) | 64kb          (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 73.21 MB/s   (18.3k) | 879.58 MB/s  (13.7k)
    Write      | 73.40 MB/s   (18.3k) | 884.21 MB/s  (13.8k)
    Total      | 146.62 MB/s  (36.6k) | 1.76 GB/s    (27.5k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512kb         (IOPS) | 1mb           (IOPS)
      ------   | -----          ----  | ---            ---- 
    Read       | 1.26 GB/s     (2.4k) | 1.12 GB/s     (1.0k)
    Write      | 1.32 GB/s     (2.5k) | 1.19 GB/s     (1.1k)
    Total      | 2.58 GB/s     (5.0k) | 2.31 GB/s     (2.2k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                              |                           |                 |                
    Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 822 Mbits/sec   | 432 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 777 Mbits/sec   | 515 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 810 Mbits/sec   | 566 Mbits/sec  
    wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 810 Mbits/sec   | 462 Mbits/sec  
    Biznet                    | Bogor, Indonesia (1G)     | 528 Mbits/sec   | 96.7 Mbits/sec 
    Hostkey                   | Moscow, RU (1G)           | 739 Mbits/sec   | 791 Mbits/sec  
    Velocity Online           | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 648 Mbits/sec   | 265 Mbits/sec  
    Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 657 Mbits/sec   | 241 Mbits/sec  
    Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | 679 Mbits/sec   | 288 Mbits/sec  

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                              |                           |                 |                
    Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 730 Mbits/sec   | 363 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 730 Mbits/sec   | 403 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 772 Mbits/sec   | 311 Mbits/sec  
    wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 807 Mbits/sec   | 525 Mbits/sec  
    Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 618 Mbits/sec   | 214 Mbits/sec  
    Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | 688 Mbits/sec   | 186 Mbits/sec  

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 563                           
    Multi Core      | 2910                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/1893425

Thanked by 2RedSox pbx
  • Is this a root server with 8 dedicated cores for 12 eur/month?

It’s a bit low on storage but man.

• pbxpbx Member
    edited April 2020

yokowasis said: how fast they can handle user request.

If I understand your setup well, you'll probably want to focus on single core performance. On that front E5-1650 would be better than your current VPS, but given the huge price difference isn't there any way to improve that other than throwing more hardware to it? (micro)caching in RAM for example, object caching etc. Keep in mind latency, few ms less when generating your results won't matter if Netcup's network is better for your use case and let you win a few ms that way: even though both companies have servers located at the same place, they don't exactly use the same network. If most of your traffic is in EU though, the result should be pretty similar.

• FalzoFalzo Member

https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/650
    https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/1752

that netcup box is doing quite good for the money I'd say (only considering cpu power though).

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • @debaser said:
    Is this a root server with 8 dedicated cores for 12 eur/month?

Yes it is. Define but man

@pbx said:

yokowasis said: how fast they can handle user request.

If I understand your setup well, you'll probably want to focus on single core performance. On that front E5-1650 would be better than your current VPS, but given the huge price difference isn't there any way to improve that other than throwing more hardware to it? (micro)caching in RAM for example, object caching etc. Keep in mind latency, few ms less when generating your results won't matter if Netcup's network is better for your use case and let you win a few ms that way: even though both companies have servers located at the same place, they don't exactly use the same network. If most of your traffic is in EU though, the result should be pretty similar.

I already cache what can be cached. I cache all the frontend at cloudflare with cache everything + I use nginx to cache everything that is missed by cloudflare.

To be fair as of right now I don't know exactly what kind of power I need. I am considering using Buyshared reseller hosting as the frontend (so I don't deal with hosting and stuff) and using buyvm for the backend (nodejs), and buying offload mysql for the database.

That way I only need to manage 2 stack (node,nginx) out of 5

• @yokowasis said:

@debaser said:
    Is this a root server with 8 dedicated cores for 12 eur/month?

Yes it is. Define but man

“But man, that’s good value for money”

• Why not an AX series instead of an E5-1650? Sure the setup fee makes it worse on the first month but you’ll save 20 each month afterwards compared.

• @DrFallen said:
    Why not an AX series instead of an E5-1650? Sure the setup fee makes it worse on the first month but you’ll save 20 each month afterwards compared.

I am on "test the water phase" still figuring out what I want vs what I need. The setup fees really turn me down.

• pbxpbx Member

You should probably investigate more: how is your CPU really used? Do you have some iowait sometimes? What about RAM usage? Is all your stack configured optimally? No slow queries?