Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH randomly filtering UDP users traffic after major DDOS issues
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH randomly filtering UDP users traffic after major DDOS issues

Hi,

We have been DDOSed for entire January, asked OVH for assistance - when they stopped, 14 days after OVH replied for the first and last time that they moved our IP's into more firewall/DDOS sensitive range. After that, some of our users randomly stopped to be able to play our game, it simply cuts out their traffic immediately, or after they will send more packets (a reproduction is to teleport to a new place, so there will be lots of UDP requests for states of network objects). It is happening to some users, but what's most interesting even if they will change IP, they will have the same issue in no time. Those are random people with no connection to each other so I don't think they were attacking with their own machines or anything.

Anyway, we have asked OVH about the situation, and received no reply at all. For one of users it starts to work when we will take off both Firewall and Game Firewall - but it won't work if there will be no rules at all, simply firewall turned on. The second user cannot log to any server hosted by OVH, but can without any issue with those we host with Azure.

Any one had issue like that before? It is really tiring for us, especially as we don't have any good alternative for EU hosting with good routing around the entire Europe and Russia and strong CPU per core (I7-7700K OC is a great choice for us from OVH).

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2020

The VAC team generally takes 1-4 weeks to reply and discuss issues with the mitigation, so if you have concerns with their mitigation (eg, not letting legitimate users connect to UDP service) that's problematic you should really just use a host that actually helps with that type of stuff. There are smaller companies with on site mitigation that are willing to help with attacks, but unfortunately I don't know any in Europe.
    What game server is it?

Thanked by 2eva2000 vimalware
  • @Clouvider might be a good option. As with any other host though be prepared to pay more than OVH.

Like Mike says OVH response times will be slow, generally their setup is very good as standard but when it goes wrong you'll be waiting an age for a reply/resolution.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2020

WSCallum said: @Clouvider might be a good option.

Thanks for the mention.

Jogobogos said: as we don't have any good alternative for EU hosting with good routing around the entire Europe

We currently have a promotional sale on and also offer complimentary best effort dual stage DDoS protection. Do let sales know if anything is of interest and they will be more than happy to help!

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

As an aside I've noticed attack activity among large traffic attacks to be way up the last 60 days. Anyone else seeing that?

@jbiloh said:
    As an aside I've noticed attack activity among large traffic attacks to be way up the last 60 days. Anyone else seeing that?

that's what happens when the coronavirus hits

• @jbiloh said:

Not just attack but spamming too and we blocked many of them from our RBL.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@jbiloh said:

The amount of attacks across the network have increased 3 fold over here

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

CConner said: The amount of attacks across the network have increased 3 fold over here

Huge increases in attacks here kids are all off school due to Covid. 4-5x the number of attacks every day. Keeping everyone in the field very busy.

@Jogobogos If you haven't found a solution, feel free to hit us up. We do quite alot of mitigation for people at OVH (BHS & various FR mainly) for people who need protection beyond the 'free' mitigation included with those services.

• Thank you for replies guys - just before trying @SplitIce @Clouvider do your provide some routing test pages like OVH Smokeping? We have been trying another hosts in the past but it all ended with issues with routing to some users, or not having an CPU strong per one core, sadly our game server is not multithreaded mostly so we need an strong value per core and i7-7700k OC from OVH is great on that.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@Jogobogos Yes, in our footer. https://lg.x4b.net

You don't move servers for us. We don't provide hardware. Only protection.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Jogobogos said:
    Thank you for replies guys - just before trying @SplitIce @Clouvider do your provide some routing test pages like OVH Smokeping?

Yes, ours can be found at https://as622240.net .

we need an strong value per core and i7-7700k OC from OVH is great on that.

Depending on which location you are looking for we have Xeon E-2276G and E-2288G CPU's available, they are pretty quick on the cores.

• systemfreakssystemfreaks Member, Patron Provider

Do you have a gameserver or a dedicated ? Gameservers are a bit more complicated but what i understood with OVH is that their web panel is buggy, so its better if you have the changes using their API, get your server to use googles and not ovH dns helped as well, if you share more info about the situation i would like to help you solve it i have been using OVH since 2011

• We do use game server, we have one host which is a dedicated and it doesn't have those issues. It was the only server which has not died due to DDOS even once yet.

• Fixed.
    Can you confirm?

http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=44340&;

Cheers

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2020

@Maluquinho69 said:
    Fixed.
    Can you confirm?

Cheers

Owa. Portuguese? Looks like you are.
    Awesome btw! LET does apply some pressure.

@MikePT said:

@Maluquinho69 said:
    Fixed.
    Can you confirm?

Cheers

Owa. Portuguese? Looks like you are.
    Awesome btw! LET does apply some pressure.

I opened a ticket about this issue a week or two ago, they said many have opened tickets regarding this issue so I doubt it's LET. These type of issues blocking legitimate traffic are nothing new however.