Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtualizor high memory usage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtualizor high memory usage

tester4tester4 Member
edited January 2020 in Help

Hey guys,

I've emailed Virtualizor support before the pitchforks have been taken out but just wanted to ask for the experience of other Virtualizor users. I have a hypervisor with 2 VM's on it using a total assignment of 16GB. The machine has 32GB of memory and is somehow using 30.5GB so 15GB more than it should be. Cache usage is only 1GB and I can't see anything in top to show any additional memory usage.

I'm fairly certain it's related to memory ballooning as the actual VM processes aren't scaling back memory usage as inside VM memory usage drops, it's keeping them at 100% assigned memory usage but thought I'd ask for advice anywho.

Any particular ideas as to what would cause this?

Thanks

Comments

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Any screenshots of top? What filesystem is used on host node?

• Screenshot of top? Where you able to get it figured out?

• Probably memory ballooning is not working correctly. When using Windows, you need to install the ballooning service, but you have to manually bring back the memory (e.g. via "virsh qemu-monitor-command --hmp") to the hostsystem because Windows allocates all memory during boot.

KSM can help. But i guess not a lot when you have only 2 VMs.

Thanked by 1Metahuman
  • tester4tester4 Member
    edited February 2020

Moved to Proxmox, ballooning was the issue @Tr33n as the VM I migrated wasn't ballooning on Prox after which I then noticed. Just reinstalled the VM's and all working good now. Was using Linux btw.

Thanked by 1Metahuman
  • Hi,

Did you assign 16gb ram to each or in total 16gb ram. Also which virt were you using ? Kvm, openvz, xen ?

Please pm me your ticket and I will get it checked.

Regards

• someshzsomeshz Member, Host Rep

Virtulizor has very good support, even they offer live chat support as well. You can contact them.

• @virtualizor said:
    Hi,

Did you assign 16gb ram to each or in total 16gb ram. Also which virt were you using ? Kvm, openvz, xen ?

Please pm me your ticket and I will get it checked.

Regards

No point now mate, as I said, I've moved to Proxmox. I contacted Chirag and he just said 'It'd need to be checked' in response to an update I've now been waiting 2 months for (fstrim).

• @tester4 said:
    Hey guys,

I've emailed Virtualizor support before the pitchforks have been taken out but just wanted to ask for the experience of other Virtualizor users. I have a hypervisor with 2 VM's on it using a total assignment of 16GB. The machine has 32GB of memory and is somehow using 30.5GB so 15GB more than it should be. Cache usage is only 1GB and I can't see anything in top to show any additional memory usage.

I'm fairly certain it's related to memory ballooning as the actual VM processes aren't scaling back memory usage as inside VM memory usage drops, it's keeping them at 100% assigned memory usage but thought I'd ask for advice anywho.

Any particular ideas as to what would cause this?

Thanks

contact them on skype for a fast support/reply.