Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UK Colocation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UK Colocation

So looking for some views on a provider I've found down in Nottingham, RapidSwitch, they're telling me that they can give me a great price, but with almost no access to my node, and a pricey build room (£60/4hrs), this isn't exactly ideal, but hey, if the price is good enough?

I know i've seen some providers use them in the UK before, so post back with some reviews, help me make my decision, if anybody else has some suggestions for DCs around that area, or in Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Derby, Hull or even York, give me a shout because I'm looking for some affordable colocation!

Comments

• It's hard to get well-priced colocation up north, I guess you still have Burst Manchester (UKFast)

• @jack

I'll ask him!

@jkr1711 -- I spoke to them, and they don't offer 4U space, so I would have to go with a reseller, MetroNet who are reluctant to take me on and have not responded from my last phone call with them, mainly because it's a 'gaming' server and a 'ddos' could take them out.

Not a good sign ;)!

• @eastonch ah that sucks! Well if you want to travel to the midlands then you have UKServers down in Coventry; should be okay as most routes go via London anyway.

http://ukservers.com/colocation.php Colo200 looks interesting, 4U and "Unmetered" power for £50 a month...better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick :p

• @jkr1711 said:
    eastonch ah that sucks! Well if you want to travel to the midlands then you have UKServers down in Coventry; should be okay as most routes go via London anyway.

http://ukservers.com/colocation.php Colo200 looks interesting, 4U and "Unmetered" power for £50 a month...better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick :p

UKServers will buckle under and kind of DOS

• Hmm.

I was speaking to @jacob who was giving me a similar price in Coventry, maybe the same place?

@Jack I know, but I was enquiring about H/W Firewalls, nobody really wants the fuss, so my best bet is to throw it in wherever and just hope for the best, it's a public gaming community but it's not got any 'enemies' or atleast, the last big one was 50Mbits which OVH took as a hack attack and took us offline for 24 hours.

Bad times.

• Some big EU MC Server, not sure on the name, been managing him for about a year now, it's been usual payments then I just paid a OVH invoice, now he wants something with more whack, so he's getting some OC'd i7 haha :L

OVH limited us a while ago, that was his final straw, so I'm just following what he wants, more than happy to find a UK colocation until I can possibly find a cheap courier for a EU DC.

• Eastonch, the price I quoted you in all honesty will be the best you will get for what you require in the UK, and other people will vouch that if you need anything or have any problems then I'm reachable pretty much anytime of the day, and even then the phone calls go direct to my desk phone and my mobile.

The price I quoted comes with free remote hands(best effort basis, within like 8AM-7-8PM weekdays) & KVM, and OS Installs(Fair use).

The only similar price I can recall would be redstation, but even then they charge for remote hands, KVM and OS Installs.

• @Jacob I've been looking around, you've been the cheapest so far, but I'd rather cover all basis, I'll throw you an inbox.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited August 2013

@eastonch said:
    OVH limited us a while ago, that was his final straw, so I'm just following what he wants, more than happy to find a UK colocation until I can possibly find a cheap courier for a EU DC.

You don't want a cheap courier unless you want your package thrown about, just pay whatever it is for UPS or something a-like to NL or some other high volume place whom may offer DDoS protection or a lot of incoming bw

• I just thought a courier would cost me in the region of £100+ per server, maybe i'm wrong? I have a horrible feeling that my Mechanical disks would get the life beaten out of them while jumping up and down in a van.

• @eastonch said:
    I just thought a courier would cost me in the region of £100+ per server, maybe i'm wrong? I have a horrible feeling that my Mechanical disks would get the life beaten out of them while jumping up and down in a van.

I think you can get DHL for under £100 to most of EU, always send spares :)

• Hehe, positive of having it local is that I dont have to spend >100 on overnight delivery of a ram stick, then a further £50 for some guy to unrack, unscrew and replace a single memory module.

• DHL are probably the worse in all honesty, I've had luck with CityLink before and NightFreight and I'll take a look at the PM now.

@eastonch said:
    I just thought a courier would cost me in the region of £100+ per server, maybe i'm wrong? I have a horrible feeling that my Mechanical disks would get the life beaten out of them while jumping up and down in a van.

• I've had big tyres sent with NF before, pretty good, but never send anything fragile with postal before.

Thanks @Jacob.

• Redstation never got back to me.

• c0yc0y Member

@eastonch said: so he's getting some OC'd i7 haha :L

You mean an unstable (OC isn't good for servers and has no ECC), high clock processor because they use shitty single threaded software?

My advice, stick with OVH (as they're probably the only one you can afford when the DDoS rain falls), use Spigot and stick to server hardware...

And if you have to ask people on a forum to do your job in finding hosting, they should probably find someone else or come on here themselves.

• c0yc0y Member

@Jack said: Redstation offer hardware firewalls though don't they

I am sure you are aware of today DDoS attacks, they're some pumped up UDP flooders that simply overwhelm the pipes, how will a hardware firewall help filter something that doesn't even get through the network pipes, you should know as provider.

• @Frost I was looking for recommendations, not somebody to do it for me, is that such a problem, I'll remember that the forum isnt for people to post on next time. Cheers bud.

You'll also note that the biggest servers that are on minecraft, don't run on Spigot, they run on OC'd processors. It's not a personal choice to get a overclocked server, it's a request. It's been done before, it'll happen again.

• MuZoMuZo Member

Check http://www.econdc.com in "borough of Hillingdon, West London"