Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's online.net peering speed to USA compare to OVH?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How's online.net peering speed to USA compare to OVH?

edited August 2013 in Help

OVH is pretty fine in peering speed to USA. But kimsufi is limited to Euro only now.

I find another provider -- online.net also has 9.99 Euro dedicated server with 500G HDD 2G HDD. Seems the lowest deal I can find with no restriction to Euro only.
But not sure about the connecting speed. There's test download file seems to be OK though. But the real server peering speed might be another story. So does any guys used them from USA?

Thanked by 1hakimsheriff

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2013

Its restricted because the 500GB is France only atm, you will get only 160GB HDD.

new SC with 500GB it's not for international customer

Regards,

• edited August 2013

I am talking about the another French provider: http://www.online.net/fr/serveur-dedie/dedibox-scg2
    They use VIA® Nano® U2250 , 500 Go hybrid + SSD cache
    Price is only 9.99, looks very attractive except ovh.
    Just wondering their peering speed to USA

@Infinity580 said:
    Its restricted because the 500GB is France only atm, you will get only 160GB HDD.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@hostingtalking you dont get it? you dont get 500GB its for France only. Yeah im talking about online.net

Thanked by 1hostingtalking
  • @hostingtalking, @Infinity580 is absolutely right. I have one of these. It showed 500 GB initially. But on ordering, international buyers get only 160 GB. Also some of their servers arent available for international customers.

• Use the EN link to see international offers from Online.net.

http://www.online.net/en/serveur-dedie/dedibox-scg2

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2013

I would not (and will not) order the server with 160GB just out of a principle. I am not going to pay the same and get a worse deal, just because I don't happen to be French. That stinks of downright racism, and I will not support a company which is like that.

Thanked by 1Devil
  • Not to mention that they are not supposed to treat other EU customers any different than the Franch customers.

• @rm_ said:
    I would not (and will not) order the server with 160GB just out of a principle. I am not going to pay the same and get a worse deal, just because I don't happen to be French. That stinks of downright racism, and I will not support a company which is like that.

For some people, relying on a principle is not an option, when the question is to get a dedicated server or not. Seeing that OVH does not even offer a service to people outside the EU, and you dont object to that, are principles applied only when the discrimination is against your own nation?

• xsetxset Member

OVH will offer KS servers worldwide in a few months once the rush is over. They may have different prices though.

• @xset said:
    OVH will offer KS servers worldwide in a few months once the rush is over. They may have different prices though.

Oles tweeted that? Good to know. I'll use my online.net in the meantime.

• xsetxset Member
    edited August 2013

@joelgm no he didn't tweet that, Just my guestimate.

Oles tweeted that? Good to know.

Not Oles, but OVH UK support did reply that the EU-only restriction is "for now".

For some people, relying on a principle is not an option, when the question is to get a dedicated server or not. Seeing that OVH does not even offer a service to people outside the EU, and you dont object to that, are principles applied only when the discrimination is against your own nation?

There is a difference between not offering a service at all, and offering a different (worse) one for the same price. Also if you truly cared about this principle, there is also digicube.fr with dedis from 8 EUR, which is not known to discriminate based on country or location. Not to mention dozens of other providers which will be happy to sell you a (more powerful) dedicated server from 20 EUR upwards.

• edited August 2013

thanks to all guys especially @Infinity580
    Checked. Actually that Server Dedibox SC Gen2 is out of stock. So no one can get it anyway. They may just post it on home page to attract clients.
    That is too tricky for an internet company. They maybe just interested in selling to France clients only

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited August 2013

@rm_ said:
    there is also digicube.fr with dedis from 8 EUR, which is not known to discriminate based on country or location. Not to mention dozens of other providers which will be happy to sell you a (more powerful) dedicated server from 20 EUR upwards.

I took a look at digicube.fr, but it seems that their lowest offering, though a bit cheaper than online.net, has worse specs.

In my book, it's worse to deny service to someone just on the basis of their country, than to discount it a bit for their countrymen while continuing to offer the same or similiar product to others. It's similiar to when you export an actual commodity to other nations. The price in the domestic market may be around 25% of the exported item. To extend the analogy, where would we have been if Benjamin Franklin had refused to share his discoveries about electricity to the world, or Edison had refused to allow light bulbs to be exported from the US, or James Watt wouldnt share the steam engine outside England?

People like Oles-narrow minded hippocrites, who clutch on to regional sentiments and walls, ought to be shunned. They do it because they can, without even thinking that the technologies used by them-be it the GNU licensed software they use, the linux kernels, the hardware they use in their servers were all contributed by different nations. He can do it because he's filthy rich and has no-one to answer to.

Pardon me for feeling strongly about this.

Thanked by 1hostingtalking

than to discount it a bit for their countrymen while continuing to offer the same or similiar product to others.

But even that, is not nearly what they do. If they did "server with 500 GB disk, frenchmen 8 EUR, rest of the world 10 EUR", that could be somewhat palatable. But no, they do 160GB vs 500GB disk, that's more than 3 times difference in a key useful spec, for the exact same price.