Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Russian VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Russian VPS?

Hi there,

Looking for a cheap russian VPS, just for VPN personal usage.

Let me see what you have :)

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@ITLabs said:
    Check justhost.ru

I hope they cleaned up their network.

• layclayc Member
    edited November 2019

https://vdsina.ru
    https://hostlix.ru

I tested both and use them for a personal vpn to activate russian game keys.

https://vdsina.ru offers cloud vps so you could buy one for a day if you dont need the vpn 24/7

Thanked by 1pike
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@ITLabs said:
    Check justhost.ru

No, don't. Because "cheap? so, so" but "quality: bad". Just my personal experience.

• I guess "i use them for a personal vpn to activate russian game keys" is the main purpose people are renting these justhost mini VPS.

edited November 2019

First re the 30 Rubles/$0.45 RuVDS thingy: According to what their support wrote to me it's out of stock but will "soon" (whatever that means) be available again. Then they gave me a 20% off promo code for their normal VPSs. Maybe just more baiting, maybe honest, you'll be the judge.

And now a hot tip -> ihor.ru

I just got a small - actually their smallest - VDS with 1 dedicated core, 512 MB mem., 10 GB spindle for about €16 per year. The same VDS but with SSD (also 10 GB) is about €25 per year. Bandwidth is limited to 100 Mb/s, traffic is unlimited.

And you can upgrade just about everything, cores, memory, disk size, etc. in reasonable steps. For example, adding 5 GB to my HDD would be about €0.40 per month. So, you can build your personal VDS to the specs you need/like. Nice!

That VPS is much better than the crappy justhost.ru VPS I have. The core is a better (a Xeon 56xx) disk is about the same and connectivity too. BUT: ssh connecting to my ihor.ru VDS takes less than 3 sec, while connecting to my justhost.ru VPS takes 22 sec! That's really sh_tty.
    Btw. ihor.ru's templated setup was pretty good too (unlike the crap one often gets).

As for costs ihor.ru VDSs are a bit more expensive but you get a "root server", a VPS with dedicated core(s).

TL;DR Not the cheapest but a very solid and attractively priced russian VDS. "You get what you pay for".

Sidenote: It still amazes me that russian VPSs aren't much cheaper. Their tax rate is way lower than most western countries, energy costs are ridiculous, yet they are usually more expensive than romanian or german VPSs. Strange.

P.S. With ihor.ru you have a clicky thingy at the top to switch the website language to english and pricing to $. The emails I got were also in english (after switching).

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • why Russian prefer to use the word VDS?

@creep said:
    why Russian prefer to use the word VDS?

They don't. VDS stands for virtual dedicated server. "Dedicated" because a VDS unlike a VPS has dedicated core(s). With a VPS you get some share (anywhere between 12% and 100%) of a hyperthread which then is called "vCore".

The ones with their own word are the Germans who often call a VDS "root server".

Thanked by 1raynor
  • @jsg said:

@creep said:

They don't. VDS stands for virtual dedicated server. "Dedicated" because a VDS unlike a VPS has dedicated core(s). With a VPS you get some share (anywhere between 12% and 100%) of a hyperthread which then is called "vCore".

The ones with their own word are the Germans who often call a VDS "root server".

I always thought VDS is just a name for KVM with dedicated resources (ram, cpu, HDD). As for root servers, well, it's obviously a VPS. Always wondered if they had non root VPS.

@creep said:

Doesn't most of Europe and Asia use the term VDS as well? Only Americans don't use it.

edited November 2019

@somik said:
    I always thought VDS is just a name for KVM with dedicated resources (ram, cpu, HDD). As for root servers, well, it's obviously a VPS. Always wondered if they had non root VPS.

Well, at the end of the day all those terms are not legally defined and/or binding, but the 'D' in VDS is almost universally understood to mean a "full hardware core" which again (in the hosting business at least) is usually understood to be a full hardware thread, probably because Unix shows those as "CPU".

A VPS on the other hand is understood to be based on something called "vCore" which typically is some fraction of a hardware thread, typically 1/4th or 1/3rd but even 1/8th is not unheard of.

What both have in common (at least if they are based on KVM) is "dedicated" memory and disk, but there "dedicated" is not necessarily dedicated with VPS while with VDS it is.

Example: Most users do not use the full amount of their RAM so some providers actually play with swap along the line of: As long as memory usage (of all VMs on a node) is within the normal range memory really means RAM, but once memory usage gets high swap is used to fill in.
    Another example is what I think justhost.ru does: They know that many VMs are rarely accessed so they do something similiar to swapping them out and swapping them back in if there is an attempt of activity. Probably, they have a process that checks every 15 seconds and that's why SSH connecting takes so looooooong.

With a VDS such tricks would be considered fraudulent by almost everyone but you pay a higher price for getting real hardware resources.

You have read my primer and so it should be obvious that (in particular very cheap) providers do use pretty much any and every trick to save 50 cents here and 20 cents there.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Do you really need a VPS? Because if it's just for VPN, perhaps it's worth considering Windscribe's "Build A Plan" VPN package, which is $1 per location, per month, and they have a server in Russia.

Thanked by 1stevenruidigao
  • @jsg said:

@somik said:

Well, at the end of the day all those terms are not legally defined and/or binding, but the 'D' in VDS is almost universally understood to mean a "full hardware core" which again (in the hosting business at least) is usually understood to be a full hardware thread, probably because Unix shows those as "CPU".

A VPS on the other hand is understood to be based on something called "vCore" which typically is some fraction of a hardware thread, typically 1/4th or 1/3rd but even 1/8th is not unheard of.

What both have in common (at least if they are based on KVM) is "dedicated" memory and disk, but there "dedicated" is not necessarily dedicated with VPS while with VDS it is.

Example: Most users do not use the full amount of their RAM so some providers actually play with swap along the line of: As long as memory usage (of all VMs on a node) is within the normal range memory really means RAM, but once memory usage gets high swap is used to fill in.
    Another example is what I think justhost.ru does: They know that many VMs are rarely accessed so they do something similiar to swapping them out and swapping them back in if there is an attempt of activity. Probably, they have a process that checks every 15 seconds and that's why SSH connecting takes so looooooong.

With a VDS such tricks would be considered fraudulent by almost everyone but you pay a higher price for getting real hardware resources.

You have read my primer and so it should be obvious that (in particular very cheap) providers do use pretty much any and every trick to save 50 cents here and 20 cents there.

Eh... You could have just said "thats correct"...

I always thought VDS is just a name for KVM with dedicated resources (ram, cpu, HDD).

edited November 2019

@somik said:

Yes, I guess I should be court-marshalled. How dare I to provide a proper full answer. Maybe because I'm friendly and your statement clearly indicated a misunderstanding.

Man, am I glad that I didn't expect a "thanks", but I'm misguided anyway. Stupid me is thinking in terms like friendliness and helping. I really should learn the lesson from you: A cool gangsta just finds a way to look down on others and to belittle them for their friendliness.

Eh ... You could have just said "Thanks" ...
    (or even nothing at all).

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul AlwaysSkint
  • @jsg said:

@somik said:

Yes, I guess I should be court-marshalled. How dare I to provide a proper full answer. Maybe because I'm friendly and your statement clearly indicated a misunderstanding.

Man, am I glad that I didn't expect a "thanks", but I'm misguided anyway. Stupid me is thinking in terms like friendliness and helping.

Eh ... You could have just said "Thanks" ...
    (or even nothing at all).

Ah, that's my bad. Thanks for explaining.

I really should learn the lesson from you: A cool gangsta just finds a way to look down on others and to belittle them for their friendliness.

No, I wasn't belittling you there. But I do see how it could appear so. Sorry about that. And I am not going to dig my own grave by explaining.

Also cool gangsta? LOL! I only wish!

Thanked by 2jsg Ole_Juul
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2019

creep said: why Russian prefer to use the word VDS?

Who knows, it somehow happened historically. It is just an outdated way of saying "VPS", there will be nothing "dedicated" about any of the resources. On the contrary, it is likely to be oversold to hell and beyond. The use of that word only hints you that the company is very old-fashioned and not following current practices. Likely to use ancient overloaded hardware too, and also the horrendous ISPmanager for the panel. In short, the very use of the term "VDS" should be a strong signal to avoid.

Oh, and I should say not "all" Russians prefer to call VPSes a VDS. Only a few hosts as described above still do.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • titustitus Member
    edited November 2019

You should wait for the black friday :) Maybe some provider will have a good offer from this region too.

I have a good experience with Veesp (previously Vstoike): https://veesp.com/en/
    I have a BF VPS (HDD, Sandbox) from them and it working perfectly for me.

Thanked by 1raynor
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited November 2019

@titus said:
    I have a good experience with Veesp (previously Vstoike): https://veesp.com/en/

@MohamadSY said:
    @Veesp

Well, I don't know them and I've never heard of them until now, but I gotta admit that I really like their website. It's simple, minimal, clear and straight to the point.

So first impression, good :smiley:

• @titus said:
    You should wait for the black friday :) Maybe some provider will have a good offer from this region too.

I agree with what you said. Black Friday is about to bring some great discounts.

• AbajoAbajo Member
    edited January 2022

@jsg said:
    First re the 30 Rubles/$0.45 RuVDS thingy: According to what their support wrote to me it's out of stock but will "soon" (whatever that means) be available again. Then they gave me a 20% off promo code for their normal VPSs. Maybe just more baiting, maybe honest, you'll be the judge.

I just got a small - actually their smallest - VDS with 1 dedicated core, 512 MB mem., 10 GB spindle for about €16 per year. The same VDS but with SSD (also 10 GB) is about €25 per year. Bandwidth is limited to 100 Mb/s, traffic is unlimited.

And you can upgrade just about everything, cores, memory, disk size, etc. in reasonable steps. For example, adding 5 GB to my HDD would be about €0.40 per month. So, you can build your personal VDS to the specs you need/like. Nice!

That VPS is much better than the crappy justhost.ru VPS I have. The core is a better (a Xeon 56xx) disk is about the same and connectivity too. BUT: ssh connecting to my ihor.ru VDS takes less than 3 sec, while connecting to my justhost.ru VPS takes 22 sec! That's really sh_tty.
    Btw. ihor.ru's templated setup was pretty good too (unlike the crap one often gets).

As for costs ihor.ru VDSs are a bit more expensive but you get a "root server", a VPS with dedicated core(s).

TL;DR Not the cheapest but a very solid and attractively priced russian VDS. "You get what you pay for".

Sidenote: It still amazes me that russian VPSs aren't much cheaper. Their tax rate is way lower than most western countries, energy costs are ridiculous, yet they are usually more expensive than romanian or german VPSs. Strange.

P.S. With ihor.ru you have a clicky thingy at the top to switch the website language to english and pricing to $. The emails I got were also in english (after switching).

Bro, I tried ihor.
    First week was awesome, 200 Mbps but after that they cut the speed to like 30 Mbps
    I asked them why and they told me one of their network admin made a mistake. But I don't belive this. Most probably they normally cut the bandwidth after few days on the cheapest VPS

Very disappointing

Thanked by 1jsg
    edited January 2022

@Abajo said:

@jsg said:

Bro, I tried ihor.
    First week was awesome, 200 Mbps but after that they cut the speed to like 30 Mbps
    I asked them why and they told me one of their network admin made a mistake. But I don't belive this. Most probably they normally cut the bandwidth after few days on the cheapest VPS

Very disappointing

That doesn't match my experience. I'm still very happy with my ihor VPS. But you are right, never trust what a provider says unless one knows them well and long. So I'll run a quick benchmark. Will report back ...

Edit: benchmark run completed and I see slightly over 80 Mb/s to DE,FRA and FR,PAR and generally 60+ Mb/s to/within Europe and even 47 Mb/s to US,NYC.

All in all very acceptable/OK for that price.