Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[LETBOX] Be careful if you're going to reinstall OS.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[LETBOX] Be careful if you're going to reinstall OS.

Abstract

• Stop VPS before reinstalling OS.
  • Initial password cannot contain ".
  • Its support team sucks.
  • I got no blockstorage in my plan. I have no idea.

Bought B3 13th Oct. I was busy doing other stuffs, so forgot about it almost for a month.

When I connected via ssh for the first time, I figured out it's hacked and had 100GB+ bandwidth usage. Okay. Sh*t happens. I tried reinstalling OS with new password. Failed. Vps was running without a pause. That web panel always says it worked, but it may not. You need to stop the vps first to ensure it works.

Next trial was a bit annoying.
It saves last initial password used in plain text, and load it via clientarea.php. Not in a well-formatted object, but in HTML text, without escaping/unescaping password string.
Yay! If your new password contains ", then it will break password input form and no change of initial password next time!
I opened a support ticket for that issue, but they(2 staffs) kept telling me "just request cancellation". I believe it's outsourced. 7$/3TB is too good plan to miss, so I used chrome devtools to change initial password.

And an hour ago, I found out there's no blockstorage included in my plan.
Opened another ticket and waiting. They might say "request cancelation", but worth trying.

Thanked by 2uptime donko

Comments

• edited November 2019

You need to attach block storage from your VPS Panel..

Edit:
    Congrats to your first post on LET.. You should blame yourself for not browsing other user experience related to LETBox on LET.. I believe your issue could be fixed without opening support ticket and opening new discussion..

Thanked by 1TotallyNotACat
  • stuffs/staffs = not real words. There are no plurals of these.
    (Perhaps for the benefit of other non-native English speakers)

• hello @TotallyNotACat - if you stop to think about it for a minute ... the low price can be made possible in a large part by streamlining support.

So - they're going to work well for the people who can work with their system without putting in too many tickets. Otherwise, well yeah ... I think "request cancellation" really might make good sense for everyone involved.

• Maybe next time dont try to put special chars when using browser to change root password. Change it later on your first login, else use ssh keys instead after.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint uptime
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2019

@TotallyNotACat said:
    Abstract

• Stop VPS before reinstalling OS.

Ya you can cancel request cancellation if your ticket included in first words

((I already renewed for another month, but your service doesn't look reliable or secured.
    If you cannot solve this problem in a day, please refund my last payment.))

The problem that already submitted with you that you can used known characters with simples or you can directly change the root access and not deal with the control panel it will be easier anyway. you blamed us for your VPs got hacked? we don't managed your services nor knowing your passwords we have nothing to deal with your root access.

Yes you will have issue when you are trying to use something like that.

Regarding the Block Storage you haven't selected it while ordering so you just need to upgrade it's free there.

• Let me see. Many people managed to get their VPS started and in use without problems. @TotallyNotACat never considered the fact that he might totally not be a genius.

• This is as per their TOS:

Are you sure you are not a cat?

@uptime said:
    hello @TotallyNotACat - if you stop to think about it for a minute ... the low price can be made possible in a large part by streamlining support.

So - they're going to work well for the people who can work with their system without putting in too many tickets. Otherwise, well yeah ... I think "request cancellation" really might make good sense for everyone involved.

We really don't have any problem with few or many ticket support for same client for example we have someone submitted 2 tickets everyday to add iso and keep provided us more and more iso to mount and we shall do it but we have problem withsomeone starting with his first ticket information like

((I already renewed for another month, but your service doesn't look reliable or secured.

Thanked by 2Trav uptime
  • @TotallyNotACat

A VPS is not for you. Just cancel and save the provider some pain

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Well, I think the provider is not for him. I mean their ToS says all. They don't serve cats.

• @deank Slow off your mark with the usual analysis. ;-)

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    stuffs/staffs = not real words. There are no plurals of these.
    (Perhaps for the benefit of other non-native English speakers)

Thanks for the correction.

@key900 said:
    The problem that already submitted with you that you can used known characters with simples or you can directly change the root access and not deal with the control panel it will be easier anyway. you blamed us for your VPs got hacked? we don't managed your services nor knowing your passwords we have nothing to deal with your root access.

VP got hacked is an accident. As I said, sh*t just happens. Why would I blame you?
    String check is web security 101. What I said in the ticket is that you might fail web security of your website (letbox.com), if it's not secure coded.

Erased part is not related to password or any info. May I ask you why you deleted that?

Regarding the Block Storage you haven't selected it while ordering so you just need to upgrade it's free there.

Sorry, but it says 3TB is $1.5/month. What I'm supposed to do?

@alilet said:
    This is as per their TOS:

Are you sure you are not a cat?

They added after they saw my nickname. It weren't there before. And I'm not a cat.

@key900 said:

@uptime said:
    hello @TotallyNotACat - if you stop to think about it for a minute ... the low price can be made possible in a large part by streamlining support.

We really don't have any problem with few or many ticket support for same client for example we have someone submitted 2 tickets everyday to add iso and keep provided us more and more iso to mount and we shall do it but we have problem withsomeone starting with his first ticket information like

I shouldn't have said that. Sorry if you felt bad.

@angstrom said:
    @TotallyNotACat

A VPS is not for you. Just cancel and save the provider some pain

I'm using other providers too. Thanks for your concern.

@deank said:
    Well, I think the provider is not for him. I mean their ToS says all. They don't serve cats.

I'm not a cat. And it's added after this thread is posted.

@chocolateshirt said:
    You need to attach block storage from your VPS Panel..

Edit:
    Congrats to your first post on LET.. You should blame yourself for not browsing other user experience related to LETBox on LET.. I believe your issue could be fixed without opening support ticket and opening new discussion..

I have fixed my issue by myself (eventually), but I can't fix their webpage code.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2019

When you are accused on the InternetZ, saying no means saying yes and saying yes means saying yes.

• @deank But it wouldn't mean saying meow.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @TotallyNotACat

@Yura? Could it be?
    Nah...
    :confused:
    Could you please put an avatar?

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs
  • @Janevski said:
    @TotallyNotACat

@Yura? Could it be?
    Nah...

@Yura would never have started such a silly thread

Nevertheless, I guess that @TotallyNotACat is someone's second account

Thanked by 3uptime Janevski poisson
  • Lulz ...

Thanked by 2Janevski ITLabs
  • Have to agree with @TotallyNotACat, quoting input fields properly is pretty basic stuff.

Ok it's easy to work around this particular problem, but I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the control panel was full of XSS vulnerabilities too.

• With so much drama in the L.E.T.
    It's kinda hard being key900
    But he somehow, someway
    Comes up with premium storage deals like every single day.

edited November 2019

@notty said:
    Have to agree with @TotallyNotACat, quoting input fields properly is pretty basic stuff.

Ok it's easy to work around this particular problem, but I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the control panel was full of XSS vulnerabilities too.

The password part for reset the access only not meant to change or set your password there we always recommended to using your own password and not sharing it even with us or in any tickets.

We are doing our best to let everyone knowing what they supposed and should and what they shouldn’t to do.

• I don't understand anyone, I just get a VPS select the OS and stick with it, idling really doesn't require frequent OS reinstalls😂

Thanked by 1poisson
  • @Scott15 said:
    I don't understand anyone, I just get a VPS select the OS and stick with it, idling really doesn't require frequent OS reinstalls😂

Especially on a storage VPS. I understand maybe for a VPS that you want to experiment with you might reinstall a few times, but I don't see how a storage VPS fits into the mix.

Thanked by 2poisson Ole_Juul
  • Yeah with any storage project I have I just stick to one OS, if I balls something up big time I will just reinstall.
    Over the last year I have had a storage VPS it has been reinstalled once. Mainly because I wanted to install via ISO. That it all, just kept it updated and a reboot every so often.

Also idling Storage servers is great!

• Storage servers are made for idling :smiley:

Thanked by 1Scott15
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited November 2019

@angstrom

I know he isn't @Yura, but i'm secretly hoping he is, or at least tries to be, until we find the real @Yura again.

While trying to be, his real self must surface, eventually.
    The act might lure the real @Yura out of the woodwork and return back...
    Then we'll have two more superior potassiums, hopefully.

Since i've said this openly, nothing shall happen.

• Thanks for the information. Now I just have to order SB1

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • I feel like this thread directly resulted in me making another letbox purchase ;)

• @dahartigan said:
    I feel like this thread directly resulted in me making another letbox purchase ;)

its OOS now. did you just order the last one :disappointed:

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@dahartigan said:
    Storage servers are made for idling :smiley:

I think providers should now start thinking of suitable specs and price to sell under the "Idle Servers" category :lol:

• @thedp said:

@dahartigan said:
    Storage servers are made for idling :smiley:

I think providers should now start thinking of suitable specs and price to sell under the "Idle Servers" category :lol:

Heh, 100TB storage vps idler for $7/month

Thanked by 1plumberg