Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Benchmarking Web Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Benchmarking Web Server

Let's say I have 2 vps (A and B).

I want to simulate a 10K visitor login at the same time. So, basically VPS B will send 10K request at the same time to VPS A.

The request would be something like https://vpsa.com/login.php?username=1&password=1

Is this possible ? and what tools should i use for this purpose ?

Disclaimer : This is a legitimate question, in case anyone have fancy idea to accuse me asking for how to DDOS

Comments

• You can first try Loader.io. 10k clients/test for free. I'm not sure if that is distributed over a minute, but should be easy to setup.

• @CyberneticTitan said:
    You can first try Loader.io. 10k clients/test for free. I'm not sure if that is distributed over a minute, but should be easy to setup.

This is good, but is there a self hosted solution similar to this service ?

e.g. is it possible to spawn 10K of Curl Process and fire them at the same time ?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2019

There is Siege in Linux + Paessler Web Stress (Windows Gui).

https://www.paessler.com/tools/webstress

It's pretty useful.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

What about apache bench?

How you handle the login would depend on the application on VPS A, but you could perhaps use the URL the login form is posted to and send POST requests with the relevant information.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited October 2019
    Thanked by 3vimalware ITLabs laoban
  • bapbap Member

The company I am working on using Jmeter, implement distributed remote testing over multiple servers. However, I don't know the tech detail.

• I was just about to run some tests on various caching solutions on a freshly re-installed ultravps via the private nic.

Will check out siege and wrk.

• @Mr_Tom said:
    What about apache bench?

How you handle the login would depend on the application on VPS A, but you could perhaps use the URL the login form is posted to and send POST requests with the relevant information.

you mean AB ? sometimes it doesn't finish the bench. Throwing some kind of error (forget what it's)

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

yokowasis said: you mean AB ? sometimes it doesn't finish the bench. Throwing some kind of error (forget what it's)

Not had that myself, but I've not used it much tbf.

• You probably want to use POST, not GET requests. Here's an example for wrk (installation instructions):

wrk.method = "POST"
    wrk.body = "username=1&password=1"
    wrk.headers["Content-Type"] = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"

Save it as "login.lua" and then run it with

wrk -t$(nproc) -c100 -d30s -s login.lua https://vpsa.com/login.php
    -t$(nproc) - number of threads to run (nproc will set it to number of CPU cores on VPS)
    -c100 - open connections per thread
    -d30s - for how long the test will be running

Though it won't achieve exactly "10000 requests". It will try to do as much requests as possible (in the 30s span) and will show you the average number of requests per second.

This test won't answer the question "Can my VPS handle 10000 login requests?" It's "How much login requests per second it can handle?"

Thanked by 1isunbejo
  • @Mr_Tom said:
    What about apache bench?

I was using AB, and it can't complete the test. it said connection reset by peer. What does it mean ?