Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leaseweb Repeats it Again > Demand $21750 for $50 VPS !
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Leaseweb Repeats it Again > Demand $21750 for $50 VPS !

MridulMridul Member
edited August 2019 in Providers

Well, These incidents seem to repeat again and again.
LW has done it again to a another client.

Original Post : http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1776508

Hey there,

We've get a VPS for our client, from Leaseweb Asia. VPS price is 50 SGD in total.

We have currently 2 VPS's from Leaseweb. We've set the bandwidth limit (e-mail notification and suspension) for preventing any bandwidth overage.

Everything was normal, until we get an e-mail from Leaseweb Asia's Account Manager. He was saying that, our VPS used 111 TB and our limit is only 8 TB.

He said;

Based on the datagraphs I got from my engineers, it seems like your VPS security was breached.
I would like to provide a solution for you, we can use our switchports to investigate this for you at a small cost, would you like us to do it ?

After that, I've requested information about the security breach, price and if it is a security breach, why they are asking for money.

But.. They do not now what they are doing and what is it. He submitted ticket and the techs are asking SSH password and do we have any bandwidth monitoring on that VPS. I said this is for our client and we do not have any monitoring tool on the VPS (why we gonna install 3rd party for the VPS?)

After not getting response, I've asked it again and they were still asking what is inside the container. I've already gave permission to check the datas but they were still asking to me.

It has been total 1 month and the case is still open.

REQUESTED AMOUNT: 21,750 SGD for 50 SGD VPS.

Here are the issues;

We ordered VPS from Leaseweb to same client before. Client used server couple of months and bandwidth graphs are all normal.
    Bandwidth graphs are wrong and this is obvious. It is not possible to use full 1 Gbps on the VPS. How VPS can use 111 TB in 18 days?
    We already set bandwidth limit on 7 TB, setted to suspend the server and send e-mail to us.
    Their general policy's 12.1.a says that, high bandwidth usage requires warning and suspension after 3 days and we get the high bandwidth usage warning after client consumed 110TB (according to your system)
    They know the graphs are not true but they are not accepting it and trying to drop the bomb to client.

AND, when I say those to the Mr. Account Manager, he stopped mailing. It has been 10 days and I'm still waiting for the solution.

I cannot pay the other VPS's invoice, because their invoices are merged. I did not cancel the problematic VPS for preventing it from the termination. I do not wanna hear "okay system terminated automatically, now pay the invoice because we cannot check it anymore"

So, please tell me; what would you do?

Comments

• 111TB/18days equals to around 600Mbit/s constant which IMO technically doable (especially if it calculates both up and down, and especially if the VM was hacked). But yeah, leasweb could have been the cool guy and let it go for once (even AWS issues service credits for hacked/unintended usage).

Thanked by 2Francisco lazyt
  • reliablevps_usreliablevps_us Member, Patron Provider
        Bandwidth graphs are wrong and this is obvious. It is not possible to use full 1 Gbps on the VPS. How VPS can use 111 TB in 18 days?<

Unfortunately, It is possible for someone to use 111TB in 18 days with a 1Gbps connection.

1Gbps can give you up to 330TB/month

Regarding your main question, i would backup my data and start looking for another provider if they are not cooperating with you to find a solution.

• Another story for over bandwidth usage billing. I read this kind of story on wht, when a vps did not have a bandwidth limit, and the customer billed for bandwidth usage.

And since that, I stop using Leaseweb, because I'm afraid I can't control the bandwidth.

While many host in here able to put bandwidth limitation for vps/dedi, and autosuspend if the user bandwidth is over.

My question at that time, is it a feature from Leaseweb? So the owner of the vps/dedi/service can keep running their system without worries of bandwidth limitation?

Because in my opinion, Leaseweb is a big company, so it's possible for them to have a limitation setup/program for bandwidth usage, and impossible if they did not have it.

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Another story for over bandwidth usage billing. I read this kind of story on wht, when a vps did not have a bandwidth limit, and the customer billed for bandwidth usage.

And since that, I stop using Leaseweb, because I'm afraid I can't control the bandwidth.

While many host in here able to put bandwidth limitation for vps/dedi, and autosuspend if the user bandwidth is over.

My question at that time, is it a feature from Leaseweb? So the owner of the vps/dedi/service can keep running their system without worries of bandwidth limitation?

Because in my opinion, Leaseweb is a big company, so it's possible for them to have a limitation setup/program for bandwidth usage, and impossible if they did not have it.

Afaik most of the big guys do this? DO, AWS (Lightsail), Linode, Vultr all charges for BW overage (DO and Linode charging 2c/GB, AWS and Vultr depends on the location). iirc all has alerting features which notifies you if you go over X% of allocated BW, and i guess Leaseweb has a similar feature too? And IMO it's the client's reliability to check on bandwidth usage on an unmanaged server (especially when the provider is providing bandwidth usage information).

• hzrhzr Member
    edited August 2019

ErawanArifNugroho said: Because in my opinion, Leaseweb is a big company, so it's possible for them to have a limitation setup/program for bandwidth usage, and impossible if they did not have it.

Leaseweb is a big company that also serves other big companies, and big companies do not want downtime or suspension. most of their customer rather have overage than downtime.

Basically all major b2b will keep it up and online as first priority.

• It's a clear explanation for me. :)

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2019

I had a similar issue with one of my servers, however, I was sure I had set the server to be suspended and it seems they did some 'work' to the panel that reset these settings at some point. So randomly and unexpectedly I received a bill for way too much one month. I worked with them to resolve this, part of that process was me being required to upgrade to the next tier and sustain the server for at least 3 more months. This was reasonable considering the cost differences so I accepted that offer. While not abusive and following their policies as they are outlined, I still felt this experience was a bit disingenuous as I thought surely once a single server hit what would seem like an incredibly unreasonable amount of usage, that this would set off some type of bell for them and they would have gotten in touch before the bill even had a chance to get anywhere near what I was presented with. As such, while I completed the agreed term, I did later cancel the server because, like others, I didn't want to chance the possibility of again getting some crazy bill and the next time and them maybe not being willing to work with me on it.

For all intensive purposes their services are pretty damn good, however, in this case, it was a deal breaker for me to have to worry about some random $$$ bill popping up unexpectedly, so I had to walk away.

(To note this server usually did less than 1TB of traffic a month and some how had exceeded their 3TB a month limit that was on the service. The amount of traffic that looked to be used was caused by abuse against the server, not by my own malicious or abusive use. Expecting the server to be shutoff at 3TB as set in the panel, I didn't pay attention to usage on the server, resulting in the exceedingly high bill.)

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Seems to be very expensive but we are talking of Singapore bandwidth right? Try to work with them and try to have them side with you.

In the future, make sure to keep an eye in your bandwidth usage. There are plenty of software packages to do this. I personally use vnstat.

• sanvit said: But yeah, leasweb could have been the cool guy and let it go for once

It sounds like the OP had enabled a transfer limit in Leaseweb's control panel. Seems like it'd be their fault in that case?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Daniel15 said:

sanvit said: But yeah, leasweb could have been the cool guy and let it go for once

It sounds like the OP had enabled a transfer limit in Leaseweb's control panel. Seems like it'd be their fault in that case?

If that was indeed the case then I would be inclined to side with the OP, didn’t read their contract however, so don’t know how this “bandwidth limit” works and who is responsible if it doesn’t.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited August 2019

I recall a recent thread where leaseweb announced their reworked bandwidth limiting system.

It still takes up to 24hrs for the user-configured 'network killswitch' to trigger. (edit : looks like it didn't for 17days) Correct me if I remember it wrong @Leaseweb2

I have my 8TB limit vps set to 500GB 3TB! (I hardly exceed 200GB) . The 4GB Leaseweb KVM is the sweet spot in terms of bundled transfer for SGP .

• @vimalware said:
    I recall a recent thread where leaseweb announced their reworked bandwidth limiting system.

It still takes up to 24hrs for the user-configured 'network killswitch' to trigger. (edit : looks like it didn't for 17days) Correct me if I remember it wrong @Leaseweb2

I have my 8TB limit vps set to 500GB (I hardly exceed 200GB) . The 4GB Leaseweb KVM is the sweet spot in terms of bundled transfer for SGP .

I suggest for all to check your bandwidth notifications again.

The minimum set for the limit is >=3TB

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @cazrz said:

@vimalware said:

I suggest for all to check your bandwidth notifications again.

The minimum set for the limit is >=3TB

Yes,You are right. My memory was incorrect.

• @reliablevps_us said:

Bandwidth graphs are wrong and this is obvious. It is not possible to use full 1 Gbps on the VPS. How VPS can use 111 TB in 18 days?<

Unfortunately, It is possible for someone to use 111TB in 18 days with a 1Gbps connection.

1Gbps can give you up to 330TB/month

Regarding your main question, i would backup my data and start looking for another provider if they are not cooperating with you to find a solution.

It sure is possible but not very likely, that host probably runs more VPS instances that also use bandwidth. If that 1 gbps line is saturated for 17 days I'm sure someone would complain.

Other than that, don't they have network monitoring? Some client is using 111 TB in 18 days with one VPS and nobody from Leaseweb notices?

It's the provider's responisiblity as well, if a VPS was hacked and uses all bandwidth to shut it down and inform the client. Not just let it run and keep on charging the bandwidth until the client notices, that's just terrible.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited August 2019

I hope this is some guerilla marketing campaign for leaseweb's network capacity in SGP.
    "Look at us pushing a gigabit out of a mere KVM vps for 18 days, and not noticing 😎"

• @marvel said:
    It sure is possible but not very likely, that host probably runs more VPS instances that also use bandwidth. If that 1 gbps line is saturated for 17 days I'm sure someone would complain.

The host is connected to 10g network, and they're by no means utilized, so 1g pushed is perfectly fine.

@marvel said:
    Other than that, don't they have network monitoring? Some client is using 111 TB in 18 days with one VPS and nobody from Leaseweb notices?

No, it's quite normal on their network to have a decent network utilization.

@marvel said:
    It's the provider's responisiblity as well, if a VPS was hacked and uses all bandwidth to shut it down and inform the client. Not just let it run and keep on charging the bandwidth until the client notices, that's just terrible.

Depends on the contract in place.

• I think this is the perfect time to ask: which packages/script can you use to, say, automatically shutdown a VPS when it reaches a certain threshold of data transfer used?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Mridul said: We've set the bandwidth limit (e-mail notification and suspension) for preventing any bandwidth overage.

If this is true, why is there even a discussion, leaseweb will have record of this and should simply say sorry and eat the cost of the BW.

Unless..... that is being economical with the truth and that was only set in response to the invoice but I cant imagine a reseller telling porkies to get out of an invoice they cant pass on, never happens, not with humans, way to honest in general.

Lets get serious for a second, if you set a limit and action and said action did not happen and the limit was passed, that would be the only thing you would be focusing on if it was true as its the only relevant factor.

Thanked by 2vimalware pluush
  • They have a option, you can set power off server if traffic over limited quota

• We do not know the other side of the story. Thread on WHT tells me something but I will shut up for now. In summary, I believe there might be a mismanagement of the VPS on client side.

• sinsin Member
    edited August 2019

@sanvit said:

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Another story for over bandwidth usage billing. I read this kind of story on wht, when a vps did not have a bandwidth limit, and the customer billed for bandwidth usage.

Afaik most of the big guys do this? DO, AWS (Lightsail), Linode, Vultr all charges for BW overage (DO and Linode charging 2c/GB, AWS and Vultr depends on the location). iirc all has alerting features which notifies you if you go over X% of allocated BW, and i guess Leaseweb has a similar feature too? And IMO it's the client's reliability to check on bandwidth usage on an unmanaged server (especially when the provider is providing bandwidth usage information).

They do provide a bandwidth alert which you can enable and you can set it to turn off your VPS once it hits a certain TB limit, it runs checks every 3 hours (used to be once daily). They redid that part of the panel a few months or so ago. You also have the option to nullroute your IP through the panel by clicking on nullroute on the ip management tab, otherwise they protect up to 5Gbit attacks on the premium bandwidth (which their vpses use) or they'll nullroute your IP over that. Their bandwidth graphs in the user panel seem to be pretty accurate as they match up to my vnstat stats.

According to that post they set the bandwidth limit? If that really is true then they should keeping raising that point in their tickets/phonecalls.

Thanked by 2sanvit vimalware
  • @qibinghua said:
    They have a option, you can set power off server if traffic over limited quota

It seems client had already done that.

• @AnthonySmith said:

Mridul said: We've set the bandwidth limit (e-mail notification and suspension) for preventing any bandwidth overage.

If this is true, why is there even a discussion, leaseweb will have record of this and should simply say sorry and eat the cost of the BW.

Unless..... that is being economical with the truth and that was only set in response to the invoice but I cant imagine a reseller telling porkies to get out of an invoice they cant pass on, never happens, not with humans, way to honest in general.

Lets get serious for a second, if you set a limit and action and said action did not happen and the limit was passed, that would be the only thing you would be focusing on if it was true as its the only relevant factor.

well said. that should be the only centre of discussion for this client.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2019

Interesting would be, if he goes to court, and he says he enabled the bandwidth limiter.
    How the Judge would decide, since he already put precautions into place.

My guess would be, Leasweb will loose it and it will be flagged as grossly negligent for Leaseweb.

Better call Soul.

• Back in 2011, my leaseweb 20TB server was billed 1500 instead of the usual 200, for overshooting the bandwidth. I thought that was extensive and canceled the server with them.

I did have monitoring enabled on the dedicated server but it only showed that I used 5 or so TB of bandwidth. Leaseweb told me that the vnstat that I was using was inaccurate and their system was more accurate. So I had no choice but to cancel the server since I did not have the money to pay them back then...

• this is why paying with bitcoin is very important!

• Hi

FYI OVH provide servers in Singapor

5Tb/m with 250Mbs : +0€
    Unlimited BP with 100Mbs : +50€/m
    Unlimited BP with 250Mbs : +100€/m
    Unlimited BP with 500Mbs : +200€/m

• @creep said:
    this is why paying with bitcoin is very important!

Payment method doesn't fix the issue..

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @chocolateshirt said:

@creep said:

for some people it obviously does. same as running faster than others.

• @chocolateshirt said:

@creep said:

I mean, you're anonymous with bitcoin. Just let them charge you $23380 and just dont pay.