Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ 6 EOL soon. Is everyone prepared?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ 6 EOL soon. Is everyone prepared?

HostUpHostUp Member, Host Rep
edited August 2019 in General

Hey, OpenVZ 6 EOL is september 2019, next month as of writing this, but yet everyone that uses OpenVZ seems to be using it. What do you guys think will happen? Is everyone prepared to do the switch, or will most just stay with an EOL version?

You could take the same situation with PHP 5. Most use it but its EOL was ages ago.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2019

Where are you getting your information?

Its not EOL until END of November 2019.

Edit: never mind, looking at this: https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/discussions/182827/HostUp I see I am wasting my breath, you will be back at school in September and this will all be forgotten.

• get your sisters ready.....

• shutdown -h now

All set!

Thanked by 2ehab WebProject
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

@HostUp said:
    Hey, OpenVZ 6 EOL is september 2019, next month as of writing this, but yet everyone that uses OpenVZ seems to be using it. What do you guys think will happen? Is everyone prepared to do the switch, or will most just stay with an EOL version?

You could take the same situation with PHP 5. Most use it but its EOL was ages ago.

Some hosts will migrate customers to KVM or vz7. Some hosts will deadpool. Some hosts will stick with openvz 6, get owned and then deadpool.

There isn't a choice here. Migrate or die. There is a rumour kernelcare might provide kernel patching support for openvz 6 until the centos 6 eol, but that isn't confirmed and doesn't provide you OpenVZ patches.

Anyone who hasn't started yet is either very small or very stupid - leaving hundreds or thousands of migrations to the last minute is a really bad move. We are around the half way point in our migration now, but a lot of vm's still to be done.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@HostUp said:

Cloudlinux claims they will probably (if not will be) supporting the kernels past EOL.

Francisco

Thanked by 3uptime willK Pwner
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2019

I'll probably migrate all of my 2.6 OVZ6 stuff to VZ7 when I can get better hardware. EOL period is still enough time for hosts to migrate. People don't mind some downtime if they get better hardware. 🤠

• I'll probably switch to KVM servers, and keep a few shitty OVZ VPSes for stuff I don't care about.

We just finished moving the last of our OVZ 6 servers to OVZ 7 a couple weeks ago.

Overall went fine.

Francisco

Thanked by 3ITLabs cybertech lazyt
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Still plenty time to migrate, as for PHP 5 is already obsolete as any decent applications do support 7.x version of PHP.

• Do these migrations require changing to a new IP? That could be painful.

@TimboJones said:
    Do these migrations require changing to a new IP? That could be painful.

That's on a host-by-host basis.

For us, we simply spun up new OVZ nodes and used a modified ovztransfer.sh to do the transfers. It does require downtime on the container due to OVZ doing some janky crap.

Francisco

Thanked by 2TimboJones lazyt
  • HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2019

Its End of November 2019.
    We started that a week ago. Next days finishing the migration of all our UK Nodes. Including better hardware. NL Servers are next. Scheduling that aswell.

Migrating one by one and making sure your servers are fine and all is good. There was some problems with some containers while migrating. Investigated and fixed.

86 OVZ Containers left to be migrated in UK.

No worrys. Im taking care of all.

Max

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • OujiOuji Member
    edited August 2019

HostSlick said: Its End of November 2019.
    We started that a week ago. Next days finishing the migration of all our UK Nodes. Including better hardware. NL Servers are next. Scheduling that aswell.

Migrating one by one and making sure your servers are fine and all is good. There was some problems with some containers while migrating. Investigated and fixed.

86 OVZ Containers left to be migrated in UK.

No worrys. Im taking care of all.

Max

Yay, nice to hear. Do you have an ETA for the migration of the NL nodes? I'm looking forward to use a few features that require a newer kernel.

Thank you for coming forward with an update.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited August 2019

@cociu wants your sister if you want to upgrade to OVZ 7.

• root@com:~# uname -r
    2.6.32-042stab127.2

@Cam

• I like to live dangerously.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited August 2019

I imagine the providers that care would have already migrated, or at least started to migrate. The old kernel version used by OpenVZ has already been EOL'd upstream for a while now, and is missing a lot of the features available in newer kernels.

HostUp said: You could take the same situation with PHP 5. Most use it

PHP 7 is more common than PHP 5 now (eg. see https://wordpress.org/about/stats/) but you're right that there's still way too many hosts still using PHP 5. Any host still using PHP 5 likely has other EOL software in prod too, and is missing out on perf improvements (PHP 7 + Opcache is quite a bit faster than PHP 5). If a host only offers PHP 5, I'd stay far far away.

Thanked by 1HostUp
  • NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

We already migrated our customers from OpenVZ 6 to our KVM a few months ago. Things did not go smooth when we tried OpenVZ 7 templates with SolusVM at that time so we just moved to KVM.

• CamCam Member, Patron Provider

@JustPfff said:
    root@com:~# uname -r
    2.6.32-042stab127.2

@Cam

I got a new FIN and DE server ~ready~ Gotta do some tests and will likely have it available in a week.

• HostUpHostUp Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

@JustPfff said:
    2.6.32-042stab127.2

@Cam

[root@vps ~]# uname -r
    3.10.0-957.10.1.vz7.85.17

Wow, look at me. Out of my league. Jokes aside, I wish you the best in upgrading the kernel @Cam :D

@NDTN said:
    We already migrated our customers from OpenVZ 6 to our KVM a few months ago. Things did not go smooth when we tried OpenVZ 7 templates with SolusVM at that time so we just moved to KVM.

I have been using OpenVZ 7 templates just fine, and it is great with SolusVM on for me. I even managed to install Ubuntu 18.04, which is a big plus comparing to the older kernel.

I do not really like KVM, it is inefficient and dedicated resources even though they are not used. That is just my opinion though.

Thanked by 1Cam
  • ehabehab Member

@Cam said:

@JustPfff said:
    2.6.32-042stab127.2

@Cam

I got a new FIN and DE server ~ready~ Gotta do some tests and will likely have it available in a week.

sounds like some new offers coming?

• CamCam Member, Patron Provider

@ehab said:

sounds like some new offers coming?

Ooof, Baby steps now, I just got back from vacation :)

Thanked by 1ehab
  • ehabehab Member

@Cam said:

one always needs a vacation after a vacation.

Thanked by 1Cam
  • "EOL" doesn't mean it stops working on that day, you know.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

donli said: "EOL" doesn't mean it stops working on that day, you know.

jackb said: Migrate or die.

MIGRATE OR DIE.

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • jonathanspwjonathanspw Member, Host Rep

We've been running ovz6->7 migrations for several weeks now, I guess close to 2 months really. So far so good. Templating is annoying, but not impossible.

• @Cam said:

@JustPfff said:
    2.6.32-042stab127.2

@Cam

Nice