Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our Email provider will not provide spam reports, partial headers, or emails
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Our Email provider will not provide spam reports, partial headers, or emails

CoreyCorey Member

So the company I work for uses a popular email provider that employs cloudmark for outbound mail filtering. Recently all of our outbound mails started coming back as spam before being sent off. Turns out cloudmark had tagged our phone number as the trigger for spam mail because our outbound mail had been reported as spam several times since sometime last year.

They won’t tell us what message we sent that caused the listings.
They won’t tell us who reported us so we can be sure not to send them mails anymore.
We get no information at all to fix the issue. Our mail provider cites “privacy concerns”

We do millions of dollars per year in business and every mail we send is related to a purchase. When our outbound mail is filtered it greatly hinders operations.

What should I do short of jumping ship and finding another mail provider?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

Corey said: We do millions of dollars per year in business and every mail we send is related to a purchase.

Corey said: What should I do short of jumping ship

I mean... read what you wrote, just switch. waste no more time on LET

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • sanvitsanvit Member

Use paid outbound relays like SES or Postmark, especially if you do 'millions of dollars per year in business and every mail we send is related to a purchase.'

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Corey said:
    So the company I work for uses a popular email provider that employs cloudmark for outbound mail filtering. Recently all of our outbound mails started coming back as spam before being sent off. Turns out cloudmark had tagged our phone number as the trigger for spam mail because our outbound mail had been reported as spam several times since sometime last year.

They won’t tell us what message we sent that caused the listings.
    They won’t tell us who reported us so we can be sure not to send them mails anymore.
    We get no information at all to fix the issue. Our mail provider cites “privacy concerns”

We do millions of dollars per year in business and every mail we send is related to a purchase. When our outbound mail is filtered it greatly hinders operations.

I am more than willing to work for a deal that would fit your company needs. PM me if interested.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited July 2019

Corey said: We do millions of dollars per year in business and every mail we send is related to a purchase. When our outbound mail is filtered it greatly hinders operations.

Seem very unlikely millions of dollars , I highly doubt any business with that kind of turnover are going to be asking for advice on LET with that kind of turnover I think you can afford IT consultants for advice to resolve the issue.

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@Razza said:
    I highly doubt any business with that kind of turnover are going to be asking for advice on LET with that kind of turnover I think you can afford IT consultants for advice to resolve the issue.

Are you implying we are a bunch of lowend, oversold, underpaid IT consultants? :no_mouth: :lol:

• that_guythat_guy Member
    edited July 2019

@Corey said:

Making 100% sure that all your mailings are actually opt-in, and that there is an unbubscribe-link in the e-mail that actually unsubscribes. Being (partly) DSGVO-comliant can't hurt either.

I have recently cleaned up one of my mailboxes, and unsubscibed from almost all newsletters etc. After 2 weeks there are still 3-4 ****** who keep sending me mails. They are "normal" serious compnies, not random spamers! But I'm too tired and busy to take proper care of it. Don't be one of those companys, or a new outbound provider won't help.

Edit: But in your case it it doesn't look like that. Don't get me wrong. Should've read the post more thoroughly.

• donlidonli Member

@Corey said:

Use a different phone number.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Razza said:

Corey said: We do millions of dollars per year in business and every mail we send is related to a purchase. When our outbound mail is filtered it greatly hinders operations.

Seem very unlikely millions of dollars , I highly doubt any business with that kind of turnover are going to be asking for advice on LET with that kind of turnover I think you can afford IT consultants for advice to resolve the issue

We don’t contract out every single little problem. I also don’t have to prove anything to any of you. I could definitely solve this problem all on my own but wanted to hear ideas from another perspective.

@sanvit said:
    Use paid outbound relays like SES or Postmark, especially if you do 'millions of dollars per year in business and every mail we send is related to a purchase.'

I have considered this approach but what’s to stop this same thing from happening again and again?

@donli said:

@Corey said:

Use a different phone number.

The phone number is pretty engrained in the company that would be a monumental task.

@AnthonySmith said:

Corey said: We do millions of dollars per year in business and every mail we send is related to a purchase.

Corey said: What should I do short of jumping ship

I mean... read what you wrote, just switch. waste no more time on LET

Yeah you may be right. Does cloudmark do this to everyone that uses them or is the email provider being stupid?

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited July 2019

Corey said: but what’s to stop this same thing from happening again and again?

Since they are not providing any information such as who reported it as spam or the content of the reported mail, so not much you can do about stopping it happening again.

Moving to a new provider might not completely help since a third party software is marking it as spam using a provider who doesn't use Cloudmark on outgoing should allow outgoing to work again but you probably still have issue sending mail to domains that use Cloudmark for incoming filtering as it will most like still mark it as spam.

The proper fix would be contacting Cloudmark or getting your mail provider to contact them and request them to stop tagging phone number as spam.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Razza said:

Since they are not providing any information such as who reported it as spam or the content of the reported mail, so not much you can do about stopping it happening again.

Moving to a new provider might not completely help since a third party software is marking it as spam using a provider who doesn't use Cloudmark on outgoing should allow outgoing to work again but you probably still have issue sending mail to domains that use Cloudmark for incoming filtering as it will most like still mark it as spam.

The proper fix would be contacting Cloudmark or getting your mail provider to contact them and request them to stop tagging phone number as spam.

Yes that has already been done but I'm afraid it will happen again with no real feedback to us as to what triggered it.

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited July 2019

@Corey said:

@Razza said:

Yes that has already been done but I'm afraid it will happen again with no real feedback to us as to what triggered it.

If I read your OP correctly, it's the email company you're using that's blocking the outbound email. In that case, moving to another company that doesn't use cloudmark will fix the porblem. Not sure with others, but Postmark shows you which mails got marked as spam, etc on the web ui. AWS SES + Sendy (or you could just build an app using their API?) should also show you which mail addresses marked you as spam (I personally haven't used sendy so can't comment if it actually works).

If it's the recipient spam filter blocking you, you should ask the recipient to whitelist you.

If you sign up to postmark, contact support and mention Friends & Family to get your second month free :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2019

Corey said: Yes that has already been done but I'm afraid it will happen again with no real feedback to us as to what triggered it.

There's a radical idea I've been proposing for years, but it's an important one. First, move out from behind cloudmark for outbound. Second, don't be afraid to blame cloudmark for people who don't receive your emails due to cloudmark filtering on inbound (once you've left them for outbound). It's the job of your recipient to have a working email service, and it's their fault if they don't. Don't put all the weight on your shoulders to please 30,000 different inbound email providers at once. If the recipient wants the emails, they have to provide a working email address.

Thanked by 2Skander Akaike