Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TechVPS (winter host) closing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

TechVPS (winter host) closing

TerensMTerensM Member
edited June 2019 in General

Just received this mail,

"Dear Clients,
We regret to inform you we will be closing our doors immediately. Any VPS still online do not have much time left. They will be shutdown within 24-72 hours but could be sooner.
If you have any data please be sure to back it up and move to a new provider. "

Well, I don't think there's much to say..

Comments

• YuraYura Member

The Hope is...

• Got the same email. Would be willing to bet it's run by the same alpharacks guy.

• donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

@dahartigan said:
    Got the same email. Would be willing to bet it's run by the same alpharacks guy.

I suspect they may have been hosted on servers leased from Alpharacks at Quadranet in LA.

https://lowendbox.com/blog/techvps-1gb-kvm-vps-for-18-year-more-w-free-windows-os-in-los-angeles-ny/

• grnzgrnz Member

Brace yourselves, winter is leaving.

• @donli said:

@dahartigan said:
    Got the same email. Would be willing to bet it's run by the same alpharacks guy.

I suspect they may have been hosted on servers leased from Alpharacks at Quadranet in LA so they went down when alpharacks did.

That would be a very ironic turn of events..

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited June 2019

“TechVPS is an infrastructure hosting provider comprised of a team of developers who are on a mission to improve the internet. All of us here at TechVPS are a lot like you – making it easier to understand what you need.** We are a company that is here to stay**, inspiring change in the ways that we fulfill our customer’s needs. With our state of the art datacenters – TechVPS has the resources to meet all hosting needs.”

April 23, 2019 3 months ago.

https://lowendbox.com/blog/techvps-512mb-kvm-vps-for-14-year-more-in-los-angeles-docker-supported/

fucking bastards

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited June 2019

“TechVPS is an infrastructure hosting provider comprised of a team of developers who are on a mission to improve the internet. All of us here at TechVPS are a lot like you – making it easier to understand what you need. We are a company that is here to stay, inspiring change in the ways that we fulfill our customer’s needs. With our state of the art datacenters – TechVPS has the resources to meet all hosting needs.”

I always thought that when a hosting company tells you that "they are here to stay" it is like someone saying "Don't worry you can trust me".

EDIT: LOL @Chuck (shakes fist like Snoopy at the Red Barron)

• donlidonli Member

@Chuck said:

April 23, 2019 3 months ago.

fucking bastards

"April is the cruelest month"

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/47311/the-waste-land

• donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

@FrankZ said:

I always thought that when a hosting company tells you that "they are here to stay" it is like someone saying "Don't worry you can trust me".

I interpret it as meaning "they are here to stay" until they get all the money they can from you.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

"We never sleep, and we’re different. In a good way."

Sleep deprivation may cause your death ;-)

• Got the same email. Thank God I only tested all these losers out with plans under $20. TBH, I didn't expect Tech or Alpha to be around long and only used them for VPN.

• Just run away?? What's the hell wrong with these guys

• Waiting to buy their domain to idle it
    Am I doing it right

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • pluushpluush Member
    edited June 2019

The last time I ordered a new VPS was this Jun 2nd, for a yearly term. Luckily it was only $9 but I still had a $7 balance in them, and found it weird that other PayPal account (will disclose if requested) is accepting their payments (previously it would be their GMail), and forced me to subscribe in PayPal, but thought would just cancel it in PayPal straight after and ignored it anyway. I thought providers that posted on LEB this April would at least stay for a little much longer...

P.S. I have Two VPSes with them, one due this October, one just ordered and due next year. Luckily I did not fall deep down the rabbit hole...

P.P.S. Should I start a PayPal dispute?

• jbarrjbarr Member

Very unfortunate. I had Windows 2012 R2 Server with them, and it was very solid and reliable. And cheap. Time to move on.

• donlidonli Member

@pluush said:

P.S.S. Should I start a PayPal dispute?

Yes, they sent you email specifically saying they were closing (and not mentioning any refunds). The only way you seemingly will get any money back is through the company that handled your payment.

Thanked by 1pluush
  • pluushpluush Member
    edited June 2019

@donli said:

@pluush said:

Yes, they sent you email specifically saying they were closing (and not mentioning any refunds). The only way you seemingly will get any money back is through the company that handled your payment.

Is $9 even worth risking your name marked on FraudRecord? I don't know but I always thought corrupt providers could be trying to using the system to their advantage.

I can eventually forget about the money... but I just thought about not letting them have it, since they accepted yearly payments (without any indication of refunding) even two weeks before their shutdown, which is very unacceptable.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited June 2019

It seems those 'immediate' close outs are getting pretty popular among deadpoolers. Holy hell...

Wondering how summer/winter hosts planing their quit. Because when you are in a big problem you feel that a lot earlier than 24 - 72 hours.

• ChuckChuck Member

@pluush said:

@donli said:

@pluush said:

Is $9 even worth risking your name marked on FraudRecord? I don't know but I always thought corrupt providers could be trying to using the system to their advantage.

I can eventually forget about the money... but I just thought about not letting them have it, since they accepted yearly payments (without any indication of refunding) even two weeks before their shutdown, which is very unacceptable.

scammers think it's very acceptable!

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

no surprise?

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2019

@pluush said:

@donli said:

@pluush said:

Fraudrecord from a scam provider shouldn't be taken seriously though, if any host take fraudrecord without checking the reporter, you should just forget about them. :confused:

So if it's your right (for taking back money if they can't provide the service you paid for), just do it ;)

Thanked by 2Yura pluush
  • @LTniger said:
    It seems those 'immediate' close outs are getting pretty popular among deadpoolers. Holy hell...

Nature of the beast?

• verjinverjin Member

I have a feeling the servers are located in Russia and FSB/Roscomnadzor is knocking on the door.

• YuraYura Member

@pluush said:

@donli said:

@pluush said:

FraudRecord is not an extortion tool for scammers. If it is, then it should be worthless to any legitimate provider. Time will tell.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

Anyone looking for refuge :D

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Well well well.. interesting

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

pluush said: I thought providers that posted on LEB this April would at least stay for a little much longer...

Being listed on LEB is basically a guarantee that a provider will fold soon, nowadays.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I've never heard of them, but if that's the e-mail they sent out to clients then it's obvious they didn't care about their clients.

• CoreyCorey Member

I suppose this could be a result of it getting harder for smaller providers to get the same deals they could have obtained years ago. Us old hats have built up long standing relationships that help us.