Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EMail Hosting Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EMail Hosting Help

SkanderSkander Member
edited May 2019 in Help

Howdy peeps,

I currently have a domain hosted on my own VPS - the top MX record is for porkbun forwarding (for a few that are just being forwarded) followed by a local MX record that handles the rest of the addresses.

What I'm trying to do is use a CPanel shared plan that I currently have (and it works well with another domain domain2.tld) to host some email addresses under my domain ([email protected]).

So:

domain.tld uses other nameservers and points to my VPS.
domain2.tld uses the cpanel shared host's nameservers and works well with their hosted mail.

What I'm trying to do:

Have some addresses under domain.tld work with the cpanel shared host's mail hosting while not being pointed to their nameservers.

I already tried adding domain.tld as an addon domain and messing with mx records a bit on cloudflare but it didn't seem to work.

Merci. I'm a bit clueless here so if there is something I need to mention please ask.

Comments

• sanvitsanvit Member

afaik SMTP servers will always try to contact the MX server with the highest priority (lowest number). Since your top MX record is set to porkbun, email servers will always try to contact porkbun's server and only retry to the lowere priority ones when the porbun server fails to respond (this does not include user not found).

tl;dr you can only have one email service per domain.

Thanked by 1Skander
  • cochoncochon Member

Skander said: What I'm trying to do is use a CPanel shared plan ... to host some email addresses under my domain

Could you not just forward the 'some', from/via your VPS on to one or more mailboxes in the cPanel domain?

Thanked by 1Skander
  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

Try to work with forwarding, or use split domain routing.

Thanked by 1Skander
  • SkanderSkander Member

@sanvit said:
    afaik SMTP servers will always try to contact the MX server with the highest priority (lowest number). Since your top MX record is set to porkbun, email servers will always try to contact porkbun's server and only retry to the lowere priority ones when the porbun server fails to respond (this does not include user not found).

tl;dr you can only have one email service per domain.

Got it. This helps a ton.
    So now I either stick to forwarding with my own server and handling mail myself or moving everything to the shared provider.

Unsure of what course to take, would you recommend handling mail myself or is that too big of a headache?

Thanks!

@cochon said:

Skander said: What I'm trying to do is use a CPanel shared plan ... to host some email addresses under my domain

Could you not just forward the 'some', from/via your VPS on to one or more mailboxes in the cPanel domain?

That's an option, but I wanted to be able to reply from the addresses themselves instead of forwarding to some other address from domain2.tld.

@AC_Fan said:
    Try to work with forwarding, or use split domain routing.

I'll look up split domain routing, thanks!

• solairesolaire Member

You can put your own VPS as the highest priority, then route the selected mail addresses to porkbun from there. I think relay maps on postfix will be your friend there.

Thanked by 2angstrom Skander