Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overclocking an i7 Server?!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Overclocking an i7 Server?!

So,

I'm working with this 'larger' minecraft server who have told me that they would like to colocate a server with an overclocked i7, similar servers have done it and it increases single threaded performance ~ 4.5GHz.

Is this possible to do in a 2U SuperMicro, or would I be looking at a desktop board inside of a chassis? Cooling would be an issue too, right? Any experience from anybody here?

Thanks,
Chris.

Comments

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2013

Yeah, if the BIOS allows it you can, I've seen a few servers with ASUS mobo's/bios which has a overclock option in it

EDIT: Cooling, should be fine as long as it's not more than 32C I feel

• Would it be advisable to get a 2U, get some good TIM and slap on a low profile cooler? I've seen a Noctua Low Profile being released soon.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited July 2013

Don't try to overclock an i7 in a 1U case....

Go for 2U atleast.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • If you are going to do this, go with 2U and get an active cooler.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @SpeedBus said:
    Yeah, if the BIOS allows it you can, I've seen a few servers with ASUS mobo's/bios which has a overclock option in it

EDIT: Cooling, should be fine as long as it's not more than 32C I feel

Realistically, you can nudge it up to about 39-40C and you'll be fine. Anything really above that and you're risking causing damage.