Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vSwap + Burst at the same time?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vSwap + Burst at the same time?

SamuelSamuel Member
edited July 2013 in Help

Hey guys, I'm usually the quiet one, but have a discussion with a provider right now in terms of this:

Can you have the following specs for a VPS, at all?:

128MB guaranteed RAM

256MB Burst on top

128MB vSwap just in case

So basically, vSwap and Burst at the same time - possible or not?

I'm only a VPS user, not somebody who works behind the scenes with OpenVZ, hence I ask you guys :-)

And it if is possible, how would it "look like"?

I give you my take, not sure how right or not right it is:

It could be that you can't have both, considering they are "old" and "new" techniques OpenVZ uses afaik. BUT, as I don't know, IF it were possible, it would, from within a VPS look like this:

free -m would show something like this:

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           384         50         334          0          0         32
-/+ buffers/cache:         18        366
Swap:          128          0        128

and beancounters would be setup to reflect the assignment of 128MB to guaranteed and the 256MB to Burst. At least that's how a system with Burst and "normal Swap" would look like.

So what do you say guys?

Thanks in advance!!

Samuel

Comments

• jcalebjcaleb Member

that is possible from what i know. this is what i got from hostigation december deal

• vswap is the new burst. Actually it is different from burst but it is all you get with centos 6.x and up.

• SamuelSamuel Member

Nice, two contradicting answers :-) Any VPS-host who wants to jump in? Please?!

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2013

Why would you want a VPS host to jump in? Most of them don't know anything. You'd be better off asking at http://forum.openvz.org/ and waiting for someone who actually develops OpenVZ to respond.

Anyway I'm not sure if it's possible, but SolusVM says it does not allow it when you configure VM through it. Following is just conjecture: Even if it were possible in OpenVZ, the system would probably be unstable. Anyway vSwap is meant as a replacement to burst, since it manages the memory better and the speed of vSwap would still be the same as other memory (edit: there is artificial slowing to emulate normal swap). So 384 MB vSwap would be better.

Edit: it seems like it is possible, just don't see why you would want to use it. Since you can have vSwap assigned and then set oomguarpages.

• @perennate

The speed of VSwap would not be the same, the system slows it down to emulate swapping. Also if the memory on the hostnode is full it uses the nodes swap space instead of memory for the vswap

@BenND said:
    perennate

Also if the memory on the hostnode is full it uses the nodes swap space instead of memory for the vswap

So? Swap space may be used for other memory too.

• @perennate

So.. you stated the speed of vswap would be the same, in theory it would not as it is artificially slowed down to emulate the speed of actual swap

@BenND said:
    perennate

So.. you stated the speed of vswap would be the same, in theory it would not as it is artificially slowed down to emulate the speed of actual swap

Yeah, that's true.

• Yes you can do like 256mb ram then burst upto 512mb
    then add 128mb swap so once 512mb is used any after that its using vswap which slows down container.

So the extra 256 burst is an actual burst the 128mb vswap is your container slowed to mimic swapping.

This is from as far as i am aware.

• @VPSSimon

Not sure about that, I believe in SolusVM it is only currently possible to have either VSwap OR burst. May be wrong on that.

According to http://openvz.org/VSwap you can still have UBC parameters with vSwap, so it should be possible to have both burst+vSwap.

• @perennate Fair enough. Don't believe SolusVM supports it however, if the hostnode is CentOS6 I believe solusvm pretty much ignores the burst value field.

• VPSSimonVPSSimon Member
    edited July 2013

Partly right, On plan creating it shows only ram an burst which is vswap

Edit resources for each VPS manually an you get more options oddly.

Upgrade/Downgrade via Custom Settings

Guaranteed RAM MB

Burstable to RAM MB

VSwap MB

:) Odd that its only noticable via custom settings for upgrade/downgrade per vps.

• @VPSSimon I noticed that too but I believe I tested it before and it ignored the burst value on CentOS 6, may be wrong?

• VPSSimonVPSSimon Member
    edited July 2013

So SolusVM doesnt support when making plans but you can manually edit a VPS resource plans to do it :) Dont ask me why its like that; I have no clue.

An i haven't gone into testing it to much to confirm or deny. sorry.

edited July 2013

@BenND said:
    perennate Fair enough. Don't believe SolusVM supports it however, if the hostnode is CentOS6 I believe solusvm pretty much ignores the burst value field.

http://docs.solusvm.com/openvz_vswap says it's not possible through default config, but I guess custom setting maybe.

Edit: anyway I still don't see the point, sure it's slower but how much so? And is that not worth the better memory management?

• @BenND said:
    VPSSimon I noticed that too but I believe I tested it before and it ignored the burst value on CentOS 6, may be wrong?

you could be correct. Haven't tested to confirm.

• @BenND said:
    VPSSimon I noticed that too but I believe I tested it before and it ignored the burst value on CentOS 6, may be wrong?

Plan creation calculates vSwap based on Burst Memory - Guaranteed memory, individual manual configuration of the settings per VPS does not use the same setup for that, using the vSwap field as expected.

Thanked by 1VPSSimon
  • @SkylarM said:
    Plan creation calculates vSwap based on Burst Memory - Guaranteed memory, individual manual configuration of the settings per VPS does not use the same setup for that, using the vSwap field as expected.

Well you cleared up the confusion with precise answer :) makes sense they do calc for plan part an custom lets u really customize it. Although surely if its there its taken into account. rather than ignored.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited July 2013

Our plans have vSwap setup based on the Burst - Guaranteed metric, but here's what a provisioned VPS looks like in the Solus panel if you go to edit it:

And the Resource Usage section:

When you DISABLE vSwap, you get expected results:

• I'm pretty sure this isn't possible as VSwap replaces the UBC system. On a VSwap host the old UBC system does work, but I'm certain you can't combine VSwap + Burstable RAM.

Source: as a provider (Afterburst) & http://wiki.openvz.org/VSwap

edited July 2013

@Fizzadar said:
    I'm pretty sure this isn't possible as VSwap replaces the UBC system. On a VSwap host the old UBC system does work, but I'm certain you can't combine VSwap + Burstable RAM.

Source: as a provider (Afterburst) & http://wiki.openvz.org/VSwap

Isn't burst just setting privvmpages > vmguarpages or something?

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

On CentOS 6 (2.6.32 kernel) based OpenVZ you can ONLY have vswap.

On CentOS 5 (2.6.18 kernel)based OpenVZ you can ONLY have burst.

Clear enough?

The confusion probably comes from the way the Solus CP presents it by making the Burst/Vswap the same setting.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

This is what I bought from Hostigation, 512mb OVZ burst to 1024mb. It seems a burstable to 1gb but on .32. not sure

$ free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          1024        387        636          0          0        112
    -/+ buffers/cache:        275        748
    Swap:            0          0          0

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

uname -r will show you the kernel rev. your free m tells me u are on 2.6.18 kernel...or vswap just set to 0.

• @perennate said:
    Isn't burst just setting privvmpages > vmguarpages or something?

Yes - it uses two old UBC values (ram+swap), all the others (including burstable ram) will be ignored.

• SamuelSamuel Member

Wow, that's a lot of messages after the weekend lol So basically like I expected, there is no such thing as guaranteed RAM + Burst + vSwap at the same time and we (buyers) now have to settle for slower vSwap instead of Burst, is that it? Not exactly good news for people paying for the VPS, good news for providers though. (I want my burst back! :) )

• Burstable RAM is problematic. Some applications expect the presence of swap, and if there is none they go crazy. Also, some clients decide to use their burstable RAM 100% of the time (which is sort of not what it's intended for. BURSTABLE RAM!) which can throw off node usage statistics. vSwap, since it's slower, is less likely to be used 100% of the time, though it's still in the node's RAM, so it's not super slow. Java also goes insane in the presence of Burstable RAM. As in using ever increasing amounts of RAM. vSwap is actually a nice thing, one which I'll be happy to see rolled out for BlueVM's customers once Feathur is put into place and we can FINALLY move away from the 2.6.18 kernel line. HyperVM, you've been nice but it's time for you to GO AWAY!

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

@Samuel said:
    Wow, that's a lot of messages after the weekend lol So basically like I expected, there is no such thing as guaranteed RAM + Burst + vSwap at the same time and we (buyers) now have to settle for slower vSwap instead of Burst, is that it? Not exactly good news for people paying for the VPS, good news for providers though. (I want my burst back! :) )

I would suggest you adjust your thinking. Sounds like you are getting hung up on the marketecture rather than the actual reality of it. You seem to think that with burst you were getting something for nothing and providers were just giving it away or whatever. If you need more memory get a plan with more memory. It all comes out the same. There is only so much memory on the server either way. Maybe your current provider just hasn't adjusted their plans/pricing yet or you need to find a new provider.

We never used or advertised burst because it was always kind of a bogus feature as far as we were concerned. A plan with 400MB burst and 200MB RAM was the same as a plan with 400MB RAM. So just sell a plan with 400MB RAM. Only time it starts to make a difference is when the server is out of memory + swap which should never be allowed to happen. The server would be so loaded down it would be almost useless. If you were running your VPS well into your burst and that happened your VPS would be basically crashing constantly because the server would be shutting down all your necessary processes running in burst. So add it up and it's a bogus feature that is only useful in a situation that should never be allowed to happen in the first place.

• SamuelSamuel Member

sman, with all due respect, insulting me doesn't help. On top, that statement you made is just wrong - I suggest you first read about what Burst is and what vSwap is and then, maybe, try again and don't confuse reality with "your way of thinking". Just saying, you'll fall from your "high horse" if you try to belittle others, not nice.