Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Make RSS Feeds Great Again (By allowing them to work) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Make RSS Feeds Great Again (By allowing them to work)

2»

Comments

• psb777psb777 Member
    edited April 2019

AnthonySmith said: When you are ready to apologize I am ready to listen.

Racist is a strong word, and I didn't call you that. Neither did I imply racism to you. I just said you have a long-held grudge, which is pretty obvious. I won't apologize for that.

However my apology goes for @poisson. My comment was inappropriate, sorry. And I am sorry for all the readers, this has gone too far off topic, and the long-held issue has been discussed ad nauseam.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2019

psb777 said: I just said you have a long-held grudge, which is pretty obvious. I won't apologize for that.

Flannel.

I am going to say this as plainly as I can.

I have no grudge against China, Chinese people in general, Chinese Culture, I am not racist in any way shape or form, I run a private business and I unlike many others who hide behind professionalism and fear consequences for truth (sadly like many Chinese people have to) do not mind pointing out facts even when they are unpopular or I know they can be misunderstood as you clearly have.

I do not have any unique opinions here, I see them discussed in private often including in private sections of this very forum that you do not have access too, i am just prepared to say the same things in public, the cold hard truth is, accepting orders from China = disproportionate amount of tickets, resource abuse and charge backs, I do not care about the reasons, I am better qualified than you to inform you that it happens, I have a right to chose not to be part of that market and I will not apologize for a problem i did not create and chose not to be part of.

You can choose to accept that or you can ignore my reality and substitute it with your own very unhealthy one.

Thanked by 2poisson Wolf
  • poissonpoisson Member
    edited April 2019

@psb777 said:
    Racist is a strong word, and I didn't call you that. Neither did I imply racism to you. I just said you have a long-held grudge, which is pretty obvious. I won't apologize for that.

However my apology goes for @poisson. My comment was inappropriate, sorry. And I am sorry for all the readers, this has gone too far off topic, and the long-held issue has been discussed ad nauseam.

Couple of points. I responded because you said @AnthonySmith had a grudge against Chinese people, which the meaning is clear as day that you are insinuating he is somehow racist. He always provides clear, evidence-based reasons why he does not accept Chinese customers and that statement of yours did not go down well with me at all.

Also, when I said that the Chinese brought it upon themselves, that was a rough translation of an ancient Chinese saying. Besides, in Chinese culture, we have none of that victim blaming stuff. The central point of the context of the Chinese words I said initially is an admonition to examine oneself, and this is what an educated Chinese person will get. Nothing to do with victim blaming.

My view is that you need to get off that moral high horse of yours and stop interpreting everything from a racial lens. Your insinuation of me being racist (apology accepted by the way) actually betrays your lack of knowledge beyond your own culture, which I see so often in so-called western liberals (the brouhaha over a white girl in qipao comes to mind; we love other ethnicities embracing our culture but she was pilloried for purported cultural appreciation).

tldr; don't jump to conclusions

Thanked by 2Wolf psb777
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

When Chinese aboard calls native Chinese "the part of the problem", you know it has nothing to do with race but shitty culture.

Thanked by 2Wolf poisson
  • @deank said:
    When Chinese aboard calls native Chinese "the part of the problem", you know it has nothing to do with race but shitty culture.

Right on the money. Not all Chinese people from China are shitty, but there are enough Chinese scumbags who put melamine into milk powder for sale, manufacture fake vaccines for kids, sell cooking oil made from solidified oil scraped from drains that was chemically treated to dissolve the impurities and manufacture blood transfusion products tainted with HIV for sale to hospitals. Clearly something is wrong with the culture of a significant portion of the population in China.

I won't comment on details since I don't know the real story. I did watch the crazed oil "Recycle" on tube and found it hard to believe but what do I know about Chinese culture.

What I do know is that their culture seems fucking out of shape looking at from a distance.

These are what I've seen on tube and have read on news sites.

1. People leaving wounded on streets in fear of getting sued.
    2. The oil recycle
    3. Putting garbage in pillows.
    4. Selling 60 year-old meat in restaurants.
    5. Government operated social points system. (The FUCK)
      And probably much more.
    Thanked by 1poisson
  • psb777 more like pms666

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited April 2019

It's probably best not to derail this thread further with discussions about Chinese culture (which is a complex topic in itself).

The decision by a provider not to accept orders from a given country based on an overwhelming negative experience isn't racism. The decision may seem unfair to honest individuals based in the country, but unfortunately, this is simply another example of honest individuals having to pay the price for the behavior of dishonest individuals. The provider can't be held accountable for this.

Hopefully, the negative behavior in question will become less prevalent with time so that perceptions will change, but this is a long process.

Thanked by 2poisson AnthonySmith
  • I can't be held accountable if I say that Americans must be buffoons because they elected a buffoon as a president, right? I mean it sounds unfair to smart Americans but it is unfortunate they have to pay the price for the decision of their fellow Americans. I am hopeful my perception will change with time.

• WolfWolf Member
    edited April 2019

@poisson said:
    I can't be held accountable if I say that Americans must be buffoons because they elected a buffoon as a president, right? I mean it sounds unfair to smart Americans but it is unfortunate they have to pay the price for the decision of their fellow Americans. I am hopeful my perception will change with time.

edited April 2019

lol, when D. Trump got elected, left-wing news media were in genuine fear of World War III.

I'd say Trump is doing a better job than the whackjob Westminster is doing with Brexit. I've never seen such a group of incompetent people. They claim that they want a deal on Brexit but rejects all deals.
    What do they smoke?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

deank said: What do they smoke?

Privilege

Thanked by 2Letzien lazyt
  • @deank said:
    lol, when D. Trump got elected, left-wing news media were in genuine fear of World War III.

I'd say Trump is doing a better job than the whackjob Westminster is doing with Brexit. I've never seen such a group of incompetent people. They claim that they want a deal on Brexit but rejects all deals. What do they smoke?

Agreed. I thought they were smoking potassium, but it seems like something even stronger. I think even Mr Bean would perform better than these bunch of clowns.

• @AnthonySmith said:

psb777 said: I just said you have a long-held grudge, which is pretty obvious. I won't apologize for that.

Flannel.

I am going to say this as plainly as I can.

I have no grudge against China, Chinese people in general, Chinese Culture, I am not racist in any way shape or form, I run a private business and I unlike many others who hide behind professionalism and fear consequences for truth (sadly like many Chinese people have to) do not mind pointing out facts even when they are unpopular or I know they can be misunderstood as you clearly have.

So you were and I quote "being hit by the same thing in the same way over and over again" yet don't have any grudges against that? Such a great person you are.

Seriously, your comments, like "the 5972 Chinese blogs just pulling the content and badly translating it as if it was their own" and "873TB of BW is being used to populate other peoples scams/blogs every month", are inflammatory at best.

Maybe you think it's a humorous satire, but to me it's plain offensive sarcasm. Maybe it's due to cultural differences, but that's not my unique feelings either.

I do not have any unique opinions here, I see them discussed in private often including in private sections of this very forum that you do not have access too, i am just prepared to say the same things in public, the cold hard truth is, accepting orders from China = disproportionate amount of tickets, resource abuse and charge backs, I do not care about the reasons, I am better qualified than you to inform you that it happens, I have a right to chose not to be part of that market and I will not apologize for a problem i did not create and chose not to be part of.

You can choose to accept that or you can ignore my reality and substitute it with your own very unhealthy one.

I don't deny any of that, and I don't think there's any reason to avoid public discussion. But there are much more professional, less insulting ways of saying it. There are good reasons it's called "professionalism."

Maybe poisson is right, that I jumped to conclusions, but my only interpretation of your sarcastic tone was that you had a grudge against Chinese customers.

• Anyone else tired of @poisson? Let the Chinese eat him.

Thanked by 2SirFoxy ChaosCircle
  • @Letzien said:
    Anyone else tired of @poisson? Let the Chinese eat him.

The best that the last one tried on LET was to call my mom a prostitute. I am not really worried by that kind of standards. I hope you can serve something better.

edited April 2019

People of LET really suck at insulting. That's a given fact. You need high end insult to insult others. When you throw lowend insults, it simply won't work.

My "The end is nigh" seems to anger a lot of people though, probably because they all fear "the end". It ain't even an insult though.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @poisson said:

@Letzien said:
    Anyone else tired of @poisson? Let the Chinese eat him.

The best that the last one tried on LET was to call my mom a prostitute. I am not really worried by that kind of standards. I hope you can serve something better.

Nah. No bantz, you just need better stchickles. Randomize it a bit.

• VMVPSVMVPS Member

@Wolf said:

@VMVPS said:

AnthonySmith said: So please, fuck off with your claims of me being racist, you don’t know me even remotely well enough to say that and mean it.

Relax dude. You can block any clients as you wish since you can have your targeted clients, and I won't call it racism. I always strongly suggest my readers to choose Chinese-friendly providers, such as Alipay-supported, Chinese-speaking support etc. Also, if your business is not ready for Chinese, you can clearly state it in your offers. I think it fine to all of us. Chinese bloggers here can read English and we will also mention this in our posts. If you need a Chinese-version TOS, or announcements or something, maybe I can help.

Oh man. Seriously? State that my business is not ready for Chinese scamming and bullshitting? Wow. Honestly... next I specifically have to exclude every fucking nation or culture?

Maybe, one day in the future, chinese will undstand, that a provider who only offers an english website, is targetting the english speaking market? Andrew is not racist at all, but just tired of the language barrier and behaviour.

Can you please avoid adding words to others' sentences? Have I saying "not ready for Chinese scamming and bullshitting?". So-called "not ready for Chinese" means "not ready for providing Chinese support or something like that" to me. Yes, English is not my language. But why are you so mean to me? I am not the one who hate @AnthonySmith. And I haven't posted his offers for 5 years. Am I the bad guy? Try to be polite please.

• poissonpoisson Member
    edited April 2019

@VMVPS said:
    Can you please avoid adding words to others' sentences? Have I saying "not ready for Chinese scamming and bullshitting?". So-called "not ready for Chinese" means "not ready for providing Chinese support or something like that" to me. Yes, English is not my language. But why are you so mean to me? I am not the one who hate @AnthonySmith. And I haven't posted his offers for 5 years. Am I the bad guy? Try to be polite please.

我觉得有点语言文化的误解。 话虽然重了一点但是不针对你。感谢之前你的主观又有理和礼的回复,让大家知道不是所有的中国网民都是不讲道理的人。

Translation: I think there is some misunderstanding due to cultural and language barriers. The previous response might have been strongly-worded, but I don't think it was meant as a personal attack. Thanks for being fair-minded, reasonable and polite in your response, showing everyone here that not all Chinese netizens are unreasonable people.

edited April 2019

"Not everyone is jerk" argument is weak though. Of course, not everyone is unreasonable. After all, nothing is absolute.

The harsh truth is that the blame lies on Chinese themselves rather than the businesses that refuse to deal with them. Logically speaking, no business want to ignore a large region like China.

• @deank said:
    "Not everyone is jerk" argument is weak though. Of course, not everyone is unreasonable. After all, nothing is absolute.

The harsh truth is that the blame lies on Chinese themselves rather than the businesses that refuse to deal with them. Logically speaking, no business want to ignore a large region like China.

I don't disagree with that point. However, I think that both criticism and credit should be given in equal proportions when due. Besides, insofar as I am somewhat critical about the average Chinese behaviour, I know very well that the distribution of such behaviour is very uneven across the social strata, and there is actually a very decent proportion of Chinese citizens who are very reasonable, but the problem as always that crap is a lot more noticeable because of how prominently smelly it is. That is true not just in China. The current White House and Westminster are two great examples.

As the old saying goes, "few ruin it for everyone."

I think the only exception to that saying is, "Americans are fucking fat."

Thanked by 2poisson bikegremlin
  • @deank said:
    As the old saying goes, "few ruin it for everyone."

I think the only exception to that saying is, "Americans are fucking fat."

Is it true that nobody can be accused of being racist against Americans?

• rcxbrcxb Member
    edited May 2019

Anybody interested in hosting a mirror of LET's RSS feed?

Server needs a non-ancient firefox installed (runs headless for just a few seconds), a new enough sqlite3 to read the cookies.sqlite file (older versions report "File is Encrypted or is Not a Database"), and wget to do the actual work. And obviously an http server to serve it up to grateful RSS readers everywhere.

Here's the script:

https://pastebin.com/raw/HExFB12E

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • rcxbrcxb Member
    edited May 2019

Here's an update of the script that automatically fetches files protected by Cloudflare's "Under Attack Mode."

It now runs out of crontab (silently, unless there are fatal errors) and on servers without X11 running. Requires Xvfb in addition to firefox, sqlite3, and wget. Threw in a bunch of typical script safety and error checking, just in case anyone wants them. Really unnecessary overkill for such a simple task, but maybe you want to throw other processing steps in there, too.

https://pastebin.com/raw/1KcAuXxc

Ironic that pastebin also uses Cloudflare.

• In case @rcxb's mirror hosting idea doesn't come to fruition:
    Any chance of getting server IP ranges of major RSS reader services (i.e. Feedbin, Inoreader) added to the LET Cloudflare whitelist?

• Even if they allow RSS it’s not going to be helpful since posts are not embedded into the feed. Currently I’m working on Ghost Reader v2 to make this possible for any site that is behind cloudflare Ghost Reader should be able to handle it and parse full text content 🙂

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@jbiloh Can you look into this? Would be nice to have RSS working again - I only realized it stopped working recently - I used it previously to keep an eye on things.

Thanked by 1JasonM