Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommend a VPS after HiFormance Ripoff
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommend a VPS after HiFormance Ripoff

stgstg Member
edited April 2019 in General

Hi all,
I lost out when HiFormance disappeared into the night with a big bag of users cash. Paypal refused to payout as I had already used the VPS for 6 months. I had prepaid for 3 years to get the double your options.
The VPS was great and worked well. I only had a small traffic site for hosting a few personal projects.
When HiFormance disappeared I was quite angry and I just did not trust getting a replacement VPS but now after a few months I am having to make a decision to either buy a cheap PC to act as a cheap server to run my few projects from home or maybe dip my toes back into the VPS Market.

I know there are now many shady VPS providers so looking for some recommendations from users here on who to look at for cheap/reasonable VPS packages from providers that will last longer 6 months.

Thanks

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

Increase your budget for less shady..

Thanked by 1jaypeesmith
  • Dont use lowendbox.com, it's all the same shit as hiformance. Some might last a bit longer, most of them are a total shitshow.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

@teamacc said:
    Dont use lowendbox.com, it's all the same shit as hiformance. Some might last a bit longer, most of them are a total shitshow.

Not all of us...there are some rare gems lurking. :-)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

What are you looking for specs wise, what is the ideal location and what is the intended use (top level e.g. database, game server etc etc)?

let us know that and I/we will tell you who to consider and what price you will need to pay.

if you just want 874GB Ram and 99 dedicated cores for $7 then just forget it, buy the PC.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited April 2019

SmartHost said: Not all of us...there are some rare gems lurking. :-)

You realize that what you said is an oxymoron right? You can claim you are 'better', but if you're seriously stooping so low as to advertise there on LEB, then there is no 'rare gem' to be had. Just by using that site it dictates your intentions, whether you want to 'believe' it does or not.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

TheLinuxBug said: You realize that what you said is an oxymoron right? You can claim you are 'better', but if you're seriously stooping so low as to advertise there on LEB, then there is no 'rare gem' to be had. Just by using that site it dictates your intentions, whether you want to 'believe' it does or not.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Shawn has enough street cred to be able to (probably) shake off whatever fleas he's catching being on these forums.

Francisco

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Well, it's easy for one to claim to be a jewel amid a pool of poop.

@TheLinuxBug said:

SmartHost said: Not all of us...there are some rare gems lurking. :-)

You realize that what you said is an oxymoron right? You can claim you are 'better', but if you're seriously stooping so low as to advertise there on LEB, then there is no 'rare gem' to be had. Just by using that site it dictates your intentions, whether you want to 'believe' it does or not.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Just because you advertise on LEB, does not mean you can't pick up decent higher end clients. If there is one thing I learned in business over the years, it is that your smallest/lowliest client can easily grow/become a larger client.

Sure...we are picking up $3/month clients here, but if you average them out with the larger deals we have made via people that have found us via LEB...it is ALOT higher ARPU then that.

• @Francisco said:

TheLinuxBug said: You realize that what you said is an oxymoron right? You can claim you are 'better', but if you're seriously stooping so low as to advertise there on LEB, then there is no 'rare gem' to be had. Just by using that site it dictates your intentions, whether you want to 'believe' it does or not.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Shawn has enough street cred to be able to (probably) shake off whatever fleas he's catching being on these forums.

Francisco

@smarthost isnt even on lowendBOX. Note the "BOX" part, not the "TALK". Talk is mostly fine-ish at least. Box is a shitshow.

Thanked by 1Francisco

@teamacc said:

@Francisco said:

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Francisco

@smarthost isnt even on lowendBOX. Note the "BOX" part, not the "TALK". Talk is mostly fine-ish at least. Box is a shitshow.

We did throw a banner up on there for the heck of it...see if it does anything for us. And we may post an ad on there at some point, but it is really the LET portion of this that attracted us...decent amount of traffic and I love the quirky posts...keeps things a little chill and fun around here.