Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Domain Registrar Poaching Clients - Namecheap
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Domain Registrar Poaching Clients - Namecheap

Hello Folks,

I have been using Namecheap as a domain registrar for years now. Lately what is happening is that they keep emailing me clients notices of domain expiring (renewal) and in that notice they also have promotion in the bottom for hosting. My clients who initially signed up with me and elected to use my hosting had no idea who their registrar, etc was. After a year, they get the reminder notice from Namecheap and all of a sudden they are comparing prices and see that namecheap is offering cheaper shared hosting and switching over. For some of them, I was able to explain the different in level of service where they can reach me day and night and I know their account intimately, etc. But some customers decided to switch.

Do you know of any registrar that is strictly a registrar and does not try to poach customers for hosting?

Thanks.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Are you asking for a domain reseller?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I think he may be looking to become a domain reseller?

• @MikeA said:
    Are you asking for a domain reseller?

I am a domain reseller myself. Reselling off Namecheap (registrar). So in essence, asking for a different registrar so I can sign up with them as a reseller and have them not try to poach clients from me.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited February 2019

The only sure way is for you to become am ICANN approved domain registrar yourself.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • Namesilo

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • So, essentially you're complaining on let that someone with lower prices is taking your clients.

Yeah, lemme know how that works out for you.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • I used a dozen domain reselling APIs in my previous work, the customisation of emails is pretty variable across all of them. Nuances like some of them using your own email address also makes it harder to enforce SPF rules.

Try speaking to Namecheap directly. IIRC either you as the reseller or them as the registrar (or in the case of Namecheap, they could also be a reseller) are obligated to remind domain owners of upcoming expirations.

Having a promo in their email is pretty normal, they might be sympathetic to the situation if you mention it to them.

• Shared hosting and domains sales are cutthroat businesses at this point. The big names are doing everything they can to milk every last customer they can and people just look at the price tag, not what they are getting.

Usually these people come back in a few months after they learn the quality of service difference, or they just don't. If they don't, they probably weren't a customer you wanted anyways, as they were not there for the product but instead the price and don't really care the quality of service they get.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 2Deepak_leb Clouvider
  • @imok said:
    Namesilo

Prices look very attractive. Google search for reviews show some questionable feedback.

What do folks on LET think about Nameslio. Anyone using them?

• @teamacc said:
    So, essentially you're complaining on let that someone with lower prices is taking your clients.

I think you are missing the point. Price as low as you want, but do your own marketing. Don't screw your own reseller. I trust them with my clients info and then they are sending them email reminders and offering the same service as I do for cheaper. That is not fair competition.

• @ricardo said:
    I used a dozen domain reselling APIs in my previous work, the customisation of emails is pretty variable across all of them. Nuances like some of them using your own email address also makes it harder to enforce SPF rules.

Try speaking to Namecheap directly. IIRC either you as the reseller or them as the registrar (or in the case of Namecheap, they could also be a reseller) are obligated to remind domain owners of upcoming expirations.

Having a promo in their email is pretty normal, they might be sympathetic to the situation if you mention it to them.

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for the advice. So I just contact Namecheap and they said that basically they allow sub account but they don't really have a reseller program so no way to customize emails, etc. I will need to signup with an actual ICANN registrar that has a reseller program to be able to do what I want.

Any recommendations folks on an actual ICANN registrar with good pricing and that has a reseller program (besides enom - they are too expensive)

Thanks.

• @mansoor said:

@imok said:
    Namesilo

Prices look very attractive. Google search for reviews show some questionable feedback.

I've used them a bit for a year. They look very good to me, but don't have a lot to go on yet.

• @mansoor said:

@imok said:
    Namesilo

I've been using NameSilo for about 3 years now and U haven't experienced any downtime yet. The panel looks date, but: it's easy to use and doesn't spam me with BUY HOSTING NOW ads. One selling point before GDPR was that they offered privacy for free, but in any case they've earned my trust and business.

At this point, my entire set of domains is between Porkbun and NameSilo. Haven't been disappointed in either.

• I seem to remember Namesilo having a slogan "your customer is not our customer" referring to just what you're talking about. But I can't find it on their site now. I wonder if they got rid of it after their buyout, which could be a bad sign.

• Porkbun are cheaper than Namesilo but don't think they have a Domain Reseller option. Worth looking at ResellerClub (Logicboxes)?

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited February 2019

@mansoor said: So I just contact Namecheap and they said that basically they allow sub account but they don't really have a reseller program so no way to customize emails, etc.

If I may say so, it's a little surprising that you thought that they had a domain-reseller program when they didn't, seeing that you signed up, etc.

• I onced registered at NetEarth One but haven't really used it; just another one to throw in to OP's choices.

• mansoor said: Any recommendations folks on an actual ICANN registrar with good pricing and that has a reseller program (besides enom - they are too expensive)

There's so much variation between registrars I couldn't explicitly recommend one, based on price Porkbun are good, based on customisation of emails, Domainbox is good (not bad on pricing either). Namesilo also good.

Problem is that customisation of emails isn't really a widespread option. IIRC any logicboxes registrars (resellerclub, alpnames) also offer that kind of customisation. If It's a big deal to you, I'd suggest emailing them all and asking.

apidevlab said: Porkbun are cheaper than Namesilo but don't think they have a Domain Reseller option. Worth looking at ResellerClub (Logicboxes)?

Doesn't matter so much when they have an API as you can effectively resell through that.

• Namesilo have reseller programs and offer some white label options (and I think they have good policy for the reseller programs):

https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Reseller-Options

https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Reseller-Frequently-Asked-Questions

https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Reseller-Manager

Namecheap already have spesific FAQ to explain that they doesn't have domain reseller program :

https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/754/63/do-you-have-a-domain-reseller-program/

So it's not their fault if they send email with their brand and offers.

• Resell.biz are great. They have great price, use the Logicboxes system (like Resellerclub, Netearthone and many others), compatible with almost all billing systems (whmcs, hostbill, etc...) and they will not send promotional offers to your customer.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited February 2019

@mansoor Steal Register the domain with your own e-mail instead of the owner.
    When the client wants it back, laugh ominously and say:
    "Well, well, well, Mr. Client... We met at last. You thought you could get away? We have ways of dealing with the likes of you."

Don't forget that this kind of domain borrowing is thievery, but it just means you love and care for your customers, or whatever makes you sleep at night.

Thanked by 3eol vimalware imok
  • @teamacc said:
    So, essentially you're complaining on let that someone with lower prices is taking your clients.

He is complaining his upstream being a dick and possibly breaching of contract of white label reseller.

• @yokowasis said:

@teamacc said:

He is complaining his upstream being a dick and possibly breaching of contract of white label reseller.

No.. namecheap doesn't have domain reseller programs, they only have API that can be used for registering a domain... So white label not exist at all

https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/754/63/do-you-have-a-domain-reseller-program

He should register with provider that have domain reseller programs and whitelabel, for example namesilo

• @hardgamers said:

@yokowasis said:

@teamacc said:

No.. namecheap doesn't have domain reseller programs, they only have API that can be used for registering a domain... So white label not exist at all

https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/754/63/do-you-have-a-domain-reseller-program

He should register with provider that have domain reseller programs and whitelabel, for example namesilo

I said possibly, it's either possible or impossible.

• resell.biz

• kerouackerouac Member
    edited February 2019

Why would you not use a proper reseller account in the first place? It seems incorrect to register customer domains in your own Namecheap account. You should use a proper reseller service that integrates with your WHMCS (if you're using that for your customer signup that is).

I'm not in the business so I'm not familiar with current cheapest or best solutions for domain resellers. Reseller Club from India is quite old in the business and can be used as the fee for getting involved initially is quite low (especially depending on your location), I still have an account laying around which I never used and just signed up for laughs because it was too cheap to pass up. Other solutions are resell.biz which was expensive in terms of per-domain pricing for low tiers the last I checked, and Joker.com which also was expensive to get involved with initially. Enom was also expensive to get involved with initially but it was possible to get cheaper sub-reseller accounts from other resellers, but that could also prove problematic down the line. My info is 5+ years old, but some online research should set you up. Other companies I remember are 1Api, Hexonet, KeySystems, etc.

• verjinverjin Member

@WebAlternative said:
    Resell.biz are great. They have great price, use the Logicboxes system (like Resellerclub, Netearthone and many others), compatible with almost all billing systems (whmcs, hostbill, etc...) and they will not send promotional offers to your customer.

Resell.biz domain registered on enom.com and their pricing are too high.

• FoulFoul Member

verjin said: Resell.biz domain registered on enom.com and their pricing are too high.

?? Why would you necro a thread thats months old?

Thanked by 1tetech
  • level6level6 Member
    edited June 2019

removed, didn't notice the date

• Switched over to NameSilo. Quite happy with the service and the prices and the fact that they officially allow nameselling and all notices now go out to customers with my company name.