Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UK vs Sweden in terms of laws related to hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UK vs Sweden in terms of laws related to hosting

malekmalek Member, Host Rep

How safe is the UK compared to Sweden in terms of dmca/copyright/kyc and everything else related to hosting?

Comments

• hyperblasthyperblast Member
    edited January 2019

uk unsecure! and se shithole!

Thanked by 2webcraft kerouac
  • eoleol Member

@hyperblast said:
    uk unsecure! and se shithole!

Thanks for your valuable opinion.

• @eol Thanks for your valuable opinion on his valuable opinion.

• @TheRealDeal said:
    @eol Thanks for your valuable opinion on his valuable opinion.

Thank you for this valid point.

Thanked by 1eol
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Thanks for saying "the end is nigh".

Thanked by 2eol inthecloudblog
  • This is nice to see so many people polite to each others :love:

Thanked by 2eol inthecloudblog
  • inklightinklight Member
    edited January 2019

Thank God(even I don't believe it ) I disable signature , to not get more annoyed

Thanked by 1eol
  • @inklight said:
    Thank God(even I don't believe it ) I disable signature , to not get more annoyed

Thanks for sharing your browser screencap!

Thanked by 1eol
  • inklightinklight Member
    edited January 2019

Letzien said: Thanks for sharing your browser screencap

that's because ** the end is night **

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

right now it is 6 or 2 x 3 pretty much, you would need to give some detailed specifics for us to give you an opinion on which one would be best.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

What do you mean really - you should give more information - as said above...

DMCA is a US thing, and strictly taken is not something you have to obey, being a non-US citizen/organization. This does not mean you can simply neglect whatever comes in. In both countries, providers will (and should) take measures.

I believe (obviously I am not a lawyer whatsoever), you'd be in a better climate in Sweden when talking copyright infringement. As far as I know the EU has Union-wide laws/ guidelines regarding this matter, which are more strict than what is actually enforced in the member states (the Dutch public prosecutor nor government really cares and the parties who represent the authors cannot really be bothered with going through a process of court for the sole purpose of even retrieving information on the suspected.

A real short TLDR: if you are no major uploader, or in any other way contribute to the illegal spreading of copyrighted material, and solely download a Game of Thrones episode once in a while, you'd probably be fine in either country.

Please correct if I am wrong. :-)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

How about actually paying the artists for the content ?

Thanked by 3Mr_Tom FHR ahnlak
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:

What a novel approach. I suppose you expect us all to pay make genuine declarations on our tax returns, be honest about our STIs, not sample the grapes in the supermarket, not lie to the supermarket self-checkout machine, or hop onto someone else's wifi for free because they left the password as 12345!

What an odd way to live.

Thanked by 1CConner
  • @deank said:
    Thanks for saying "the end is nigh".

Thank You For Saying "Thanks for saying "the end is nigh". " MR.PMS Lover

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Clouvider said:

How 'bout NO ?

• UK is probably the strictest country for copyright issues along with the US. I'd suggest literally anywhere else.

Thanked by 1Creativity
  • @randvegeta said:

@Clouvider said:

What a novel approach. I suppose you expect us all to pay make genuine declarations on our tax returns, be honest about our STIs, not sample the grapes in the supermarket, not lie to the supermarket self-checkout machine, or hop onto someone else's wifi for free because they left the password as 12345!

What an odd way to live.

Take grapes in the U.S. and see how long it takes for the store to prosecute you for theft.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Guys don't post screenshots of the replies, i thought they were actual replies and was trying to click thanks. Didn't work.

Thanked by 1Creativity
  • CreativityCreativity Member
    edited January 2019

I'm not sure how Swedan compares to this, however the UK has introduced some strict 'surveillance laws' over the past decade. Things like the snoopers charter makes it a crime to refuse to hand over encryption keys or passphrases, even if you forgot or no longer have them. Also it allows bulk data collection orders by organisations such as the NHS, tax office and food standards agency. ISP's are also required to retain user's browsing history for a year.

I suggest not hosting your data inside the UK, even if you are not a UK citizen and don't think you do anything wrong. There are other countries with good connectivity to the UK, and there are other European countries with privacy laws that equal or outmatch the UK's data protection laws.

If you want to host copyrighted content, the obvious choice would be to host it in a country where copyright laws don't apply to that content or where it's not copyrighted. Even if you are not hosting anything questionable, please don't pick the UK (sorry UK hosts who are reading this). Most copyright holders will just go the automated DMCA approach unless you seriously annoy them (read thepiratebay's copyright letters for examples and some other examples), however a lot of hosts will respect this and ask you to remove this content even if DMCA doesn't apply there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_surveillance_in_the_United_Kingdom makes for an interesting read, even if it is outside the scope of your question.

• malekmalek Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2019

Thanks for the answers.

For the record, I do not want to host any copyrighted content nor anything illegal.

@theblackesthat interesting that M247 is listed on that .pdf yet it's an UK company...

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

this is a recurring topic and often discussions like these get locked, since LET is white hat only yet some replies sometimes deviate from this premise

Rather than trying to sort out which location is more "exotic" (UK and Sweden aren't exotic for sure), I'd contact your provider and ask before-hand how do they handle DMCA complaints. The most obnoxious issues (assuming you don't want to host copyrighted content or anything illegal, as you remarked) come from fake DMCA reports, and similar troll activities. Some providers try to contact their customers, some providers don't; some providers dismiss obviously fake reports, some providers don't. Stuff like this was discussed last September.

TL;DR provider's professionalism > jurisdiction

Thanked by 1uptime
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Fun fact, every country's intelligence agency collects metadata of almost all communication entering/exiting the country.

• eoleol Member

Fun fact, most fun facts are not even funny.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @eol said:
    Fun fact, most fun facts are not even funny. Unless it's about rape.