Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting a dedicated hosting service.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Starting a dedicated hosting service.

Hello everyone,

I'm currently researching the decisions people make when choosing a hosting provider, I know that in this day and age hosting providers are in abundance, so competition is fierce. I understand the logistics of running a hosting provider, that part I have covered, it's the decisions people make when choosing a provider that I'd like to understand more of.

I know a lot of sellers are simply reselling other hosting providers services, I'm looking at not simply reselling another providers services but selling services using equipment which would be purchased and fully owned by my company.

With focusing on the LET community, the key I understand is keeping the cost as low as possible, but not to low that the company will simply sink, for example run out of money. I'm not looking to offering web hosting, but Raspberry Pi hosting specifically, in my research I know of at least two other providers, one which is in the UK, I'm wondering if I was to offer the Raspberry Pi's with higher disk space than what's currently being offered at the other companies, would that be of interest to people in the LEB/LET community with a price range that's in keeping of the LET guidelines.

If you've read my thread I'd like to say thank you very much, and to anyone who takes the time out of their busy day to reply, thanks as well, I genuinely appreciate it.

Thank you!
Emmet.

Comments

• run Colo scam people go away ! or provide cheap service and good support and get long time costumers and enjoy being a good host

• @uxtvdl said:
    run Colo scam people go away

Sorry, I don't follow, is that directed to me?

@uxtvdl said:
    provide cheap service and good support and get long time costumers and enjoy being a good host

That I fully understand, my background experience is in IT maintenance and customer service.

Thanks

Thanked by 1uxtvdl
  • Make it better than Joshua Treudler and you'll be fine.

Thanked by 1uxtvdl
  • Emmet said: Sorry, I don't follow, is that directed to me?

read threads and you will understand !
    not at all directed / anything related to you! 😊

• I would never use a raspberry as a server, i'd go on SoCs that can give more speed and also with dedicated buses.

But, whatever, i think the best thing you could do is building a trusted presence in the environment (aka this forum). Be transparent and honest and i'm sure you'll start to have users and the word will spread.

Thanked by 1Emmet
  • @edfox said:
    I would never use a raspberry as a server, i'd go on SoCs that can give more speed and also with dedicated buses.

But, whatever, i think the best thing you could do is building a trusted presence in the environment (aka this forum). Be transparent and honest and i'm sure you'll start to have users and the word will spread.

2nd part is important ./ I'm tryna Do the same

• EmmetEmmet Member
    edited January 2019

@edfox said:
    I would never use a raspberry as a server, i'd go on SoCs that can give more speed and also with dedicated buses.

I fully understand, it's a route I've been looking into because the entry to market is lower, from my research.

Edit: If you have any recommendations on which SoC hardware you think I should check out, please feel free to let me know, I'm fully open to recommendations, thanks.

@edfox said:

To be transparent, honest and fully open are definitely the key point's I'm looking to promote with the service.

• @Emmet said:

To be transparent, honest and fully open are definitely the key point's I'm looking to promote with the service.

Take a look, as an example, at a host that succeeds in being awesome:
    https://buyvm.net/why-buyvm/

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Nah, Frantech is not successful as a host. He is successful as a politician.

Vote f0r Fran in 2020.

• @deank said:

He's among the best furries i know

• @edfox said:

@deank said:

He's among the best furries i know

So quickly you forget about your tryst with @jamespeach?

HUSSY!

• deankdeank Member, Troll

James who? His name is Ed.

Thanked by 1eol
  • If you have to ask you need more experience. Go get a job in the industry and find out what you need to know. The business is very cut throat, especially the low end. Margins in this market do not lend to mistakes.

• @AuroraZ said:
    If you have to ask you need more experience. Go get a job in the industry and find out what you need to know. The business is very cut throat, especially the low end. Margins in this market do not lend to mistakes.

Thanks for your critical feedback, my question was focused towards the LET community.

• Good luck with your provider tag

Thanked by 2eol Emmet
  • AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
    edited January 2019

@Emmet said:

@AuroraZ said:
    If you have to ask you need more experience. Go get a job in the industry and find out what you need to know. The business is very cut throat, especially the low end. Margins in this market do not lend to mistakes.

Thanks for your critical feedback, my question was focused towards the LET community.

That advice was as well. Just shows you need more experience before handling clients like the ones you get here. Don't get me wrong some have the right expectations, but the majority have a sense of reality that borders on fruit loops and lucky charms.

I have been here since damn near the beginning of this place and I have seen this exact thing a million and half times. It never EVER ends well for clients or provider. If you do not have real money to throw at it, better go find some experience.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

You could always start out small go with one server that you own and set up in a 1u colo. Go with a provider that you could see expanding and getting a full rack from. Then if that one server takes off then do a second one and break it out. By time you have two servers broke out into VPS and resold you should be able to cover a full rack cost at this time just off those two servers. Then start adding in servers as you need them.

If you have a market that you know you can sell in and you understand then go after it.

just my 2 cents

Thanked by 1Emmet
  • @CenTexHosting said:
    You could always start out small go with one server that you own and set up in a 1u colo. Go with a provider that you could see expanding and getting a full rack from. Then if that one server takes off then do a second one and break it out. By time you have two servers broke out into VPS and resold you should be able to cover a full rack cost at this time just off those two servers. Then start adding in servers as you need them.

If you have a market that you know you can sell in and you understand then go after it.

just my 2 cents

The advice is much appreciated, many thanks.

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

Unsure if you have already read this but there is a thread with some suggestions to someone looking to do the same sort of thing (to a degree): https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/155113/things-to-consider-when-building-your-own-network-and-collocation-advice#latest

Thanked by 1Emmet
  • EmmetEmmet Member
    edited January 2019

@HostMedia said:
    Unsure if you have already read this but there is a thread with some suggestions to someone looking to do the same sort of thing (to a degree): https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/155113/things-to-consider-when-building-your-own-network-and-collocation-advice#latest

Thank you, some useful tips and information are in the thread, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

You probably won't be able to compete on price with the larger hosts that have scaled their entire operation. You should try to stand out some other way if you want to survive :)

Thanked by 1Emmet
  • @vfuse said:
    You probably won't be able to compete on price with the larger hosts that have scaled their entire operation. You should try to stand out some other way if you want to survive :)

Free cheesecake shots with every slab - @Francisco