Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need to host my infrastructure (VPSs)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need to host my infrastructure (VPSs)

Hi All,

This is my first ever post so please ignore / delete if incorrectly posted.

I run a site which gets fair traffic and we are planning on taking the site and its associated services to next level. I am looking for 8-9 VPSs which can:

1. Increase size of VPS (CPU / Memory) online.
  2. Can attach storage as a separate disk to VPSs and increase them too.
  3. Support should be human and not automated, I want the hosting to discuss with me before straightaway banning / suspending me for alleged ToS misuse(s).
  4. Private networking: I need just one public IP, all the other servers will be sitting behind it.
  5. Need VPSs with absolute minimum specs to start with i.e. 512MB RAM, 1 vCPU, 20GB Disk.

I do not want to use Digital Ocean / Linode / Vultr for the point 3.

Any suggestion / Recommendations? Let me know.

Budget: 40$ a month.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2019

Online growing of CPUs and memory is still a bit derpy on kvm, or at least was when I tried it.

I think my slices would be a great fit you you with slabs handling your storage needs.

Francisco

Thanked by 1iKSv2
  • So, you're asking for ~10 512M boxes for $40/mo, dynamic scaling, and to only be charged for a single public-facing IP?

Good luck with your budget.

• Thanks @Francisco . Checking.

@Letzien , Apologies but Vultr with 512 GB , 1vCPU is 2.50$ per month with a public IP. I am not getting the sarcasm. Is the budget misaligned? I calculated 8x5 = 40$ with 5$ per VPS (already twice Vultr's pricing). Can you please help me correct it instead?

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@iKSv2 said:
    Thanks @Francisco . Checking.

@Letzien , Apologies but Vultr with 512 GB , 1vCPU is 2.50$ per month with a public IP. I am not getting the sarcasm. Is the budget misaligned? I calculated 8x5 = 40$ with 5$ per VPS (already twice Vultr's pricing). Can you please help me correct it instead?

That Vultr plan is a loss leader so best to not use it as a reference. They wouldn't sell you 10 ( I think they're max 5 per customer if I recall correctly).

Thanked by 2Letzien iKSv2
  • @jackb said:

@iKSv2 said:
    Thanks @Francisco . Checking.

That Vultr plan is a loss leader so best to not use it as a reference. They wouldn't sell you 10 ( I think they're max 5 per customer if I recall correctly).

It's also worth noting that the $2.50/mo plan is IPv6 only as well as being a promotional/loss leader item.

Thanked by 1iKSv2
  • HostDoc Resource Pool, BuyVM, Hetzner or NetCup.

Thanked by 3eol HostDoc iKSv2
  • eoleol Member

@AC_Fan said:
    Hetzner, Hetzner, Hetzner or Hetzner.

Thanked by 2AC_Fan iKSv2
  • jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

Our Cloud Servers can do everything what you want, except online upgrades. In my mind, the best way would be a redundant loadbalancer across two instances with keepalived, forwarding all traffic to your web- and database servers within the private network.

Some customers already doing that. Together with our API, you can easily change the routing of an additional ip-address which acts then as high available virtual ip across both loadbalancing instances.

Once this is implemented, there should be no need to online upgrade ressources - pull out the specific server from the cluster and upgrade it as you want, without impacting the availability of your site.

Just have a look on https://www.fastpipe.io/cloudserver - feel free to send me a private message in case of questions.

Thanked by 1iKSv2
  • We could do a resource pool in Dallas that will allow you to create up to 9 VPS on demand.
    It can come with 2 IPs, 9 internal IPS, 9 IPV6, 500GB HDD or 150 GB NVME SSD, 9vCores and 4608MB RAM (512 X 9).

With our resource pool you are free to create VPS with any specs you want and at will so you could have 2 or more disks per VPS so long as it is available within your resources.

Thanked by 2eva2000 iKSv2
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2019

We support everything you mentioned except online resizing on LunaNode in Toronto.

• Resize - can't be done online but you just have to click a button from the panel. Our services are billed hourly so you can easily test different configurations. You can only Resize to plans with equal or larger disk size, but you could setup your software on the smallest plan, take a snapshot, and then test it on several larger plans by provisioning multiple VMs from the snapshot.
    • Block Storage - we offer block storage volumes starting from 1 GB at $0.03/GB/mo, billed hourly. You can attach a volume as a separate disk, resize it, and you can even use a volume as the boot device for a VM (something that you can't do with minimal-functionality and poorly-implemented cloud platforms like DigitalOcean and Vultr).
    • Private Networking - all of our cloud servers are configured with floating IPs. To disable external access, simply disassociate the floating IP. We also offer cloud firewalls that let you setup traffic restrictions at the infrastructure level.

Our pricing starts at $3.5/mo ($0.00486/hr) for 1 GB RAM.

Thanked by 1iKSv2
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Sounds like you would be WAY better off buying a cheap OVH/SYS/Kimsufi/Online.net dedi and running proxmox + LXC yourself.

That is the only way you are going to truly get everything you want at that budget and takes away the need for support as you will be managing the infrastructure (your own contained one) yourself.

Thanked by 3Janevski eol iKSv2
  • Or Hetzner.

Thanked by 2eol iKSv2
  • iKSv2iKSv2 Member
    edited January 2019

@jackb,

That (Vultr's 2.5$ VM being sold at a loss and per user limit) honestly is something I did not know.Today I learned! Thank you :)

@AC_Fan,

Will be checking BuyVM. Thanks for other suggestions too. Those seem decent tbh.

@combahton_it ,

Sure, your comment makes sense. Online upgrade is a necessary requirement to start with, however if that requirement goes off, will definitely consider.

@HostDoc ,

Interesting concept. With respect to resource pool, how are you based? Also do you provide personal (manual) support or is it automated? The control of creating custom spec seems powerful and might help better than the fixed one IMO. Can you provide your email ID or something to contact (if that is allowed here).

@perennate ,

I checked lunanode, can you help me with difference between general purpose and memory optimized? The Memory optimized ones have more memory but are cheaper than general purpose ones. What is the difference?

@AnthonySmith ,

Interesting suggestion. Do OVH or others provide manual (non-AI) support? Sorry, I am really unaware of it..

• Also, @Francisco , can you provide your email ID or something to contact (if that is allowed here).

Need to discuss

• @iKSv2 said:

@HostDoc ,

Interesting concept. With respect to resource pool, how are you based? Also do you provide personal (manual) support or is it automated? The control of creating custom spec seems powerful and might help better than the fixed one IMO. Can you provide your email ID or something to contact (if that is allowed here).

Hi.
    I do not fully understand your question "how are you based". To try and answer to the best of my understanding, we are based in the UK and the resource pool plan being offered in based on a node in Dallas, USA.
    We provide human support available 24/7 and have live chat for immediate response to issues.
    You can PM us here on LET by clicking my user icon, you can get our email address via our site or you can approach us in live chat. Whichever works for you.

Thanked by 2eol iKSv2
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well you would be managing your own VM infrastructure back end effectively and they all provide out of band access to the servers so you don’t need support, obviously you are not expecting OS/Software level support based on your budget so l8ke I said it removes the support requirement almost completely, you would only need them for hardware failure which will be rare and they are all very responsive to that.

Thanked by 1iKSv2
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@iKSv2 said:
    Also, @Francisco , can you provide your email ID or something to contact (if that is allowed here).

Need to discuss

You're welcome to hit me on live chat or [email protected]. There's also via ticket at https://my.frantech.ca/

Francisco

Thanked by 1iKSv2
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

iKSv2 said: I checked lunanode, can you help me with difference between general purpose and memory optimized? The Memory optimized ones have more memory but are cheaper than general purpose ones. What is the difference?

General-Purpose plans have more CPU.

Thanked by 2eol iKSv2