Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand the download speed between hetzner and USA
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help me understand the download speed between hetzner and USA

MedowMedow Member

Hi to all:

Please help me understand this.

We all knew that Hetzner have a low speed from their own datacenter and peoples say the download speed from hetzner server to USA is very low becasue of many reasons.

My question is:

If my server in hetzner connected to 1 Gbps and download speed from hetzner to USA is around 250 Mbps. Is this number (250) will be divided to all visitors who access my server?

Let us say i will let visitor download at 10Mbps . is the server will handel only 25 visitors from USA or it will handel more visitor?

The contents they will download is documents and there is no stream.\

Thanks

Comments

• do you know something about peering and how it works ?

• SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited January 2019

Is this number (250) will be divided to all visitors who access my server?

A "simplistic" answer would be "yes".

Let us say i will let visitor download at 10Mbps . is the server will handel only 25 visitors from USA or it will handel more visitor?

It can handle more visitors, but not at 10Mbps exactly and simultaneously, so the download speed will vary.

Again , these are simplistic answers.

• @SteveMC said:

Is this number (250) will be divided to all visitors who access my server?

A "simplistic" answer would be "yes".

Thanks for replay.
    I thought that the 250Mbps limit will be for one connection because of the peering issue.
    and i thought that if there is a second connection they will have anthor 250Mbps limit.

So, the 1Gbps on hetzner is truely about 250Mbps to USA users.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

There is nothing like"USA users" and "simplistic yes". that's not how the internet works.

Thanked by 1willie
  • Not in my case. From end user point of view my isp has a limit of say XXX mbit per download connection but I could use IDM or multiparts to increase close to my Max speed

• Hetzner is a german provider, so every chunk of data that leaves their DC has to get approved by the "Bundestag" and the "Bundesrat" before going overseas. This is a manual process carried out by large groups of old women, sitting in open space offices. Because some of them suffer from arthritis, many packets get delayed.

You should rather get a provider somewhere else. Someone with young women. Because young women = less arthritis = less delayed packets = more bandwidth for you. Go with any ColoCrossing location, they are all run by young pussies.

• 3606202 said: Hetzner is a german provider, so every chunk of data that leaves their DC has to get approved by the "Bundestag" and the "Bundesrat" before going overseas. This is a manual process carried out by large groups of old women, sitting in open space offices. Because some of them suffer from arthritis, many packets get delayed.

True story

Thanked by 2eol 3606202
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2019

There's a lot of factors, but in my opinion the most important ones will be bandwidth delay product and the capacity of the transatlantic link.

You can Google the first, but only really guess at the second for hetzner.

download speed from hetzner to USA is around 250 Mbps. Is this number (250) will be divided to all visitors who access my server?

Assuming the transatlantic link isn't congested, no. The bandwidth delay product means single TCP connections can only reach 250mbps, but different users use a connection each, so no problem. But if there's congestion, yes it'll be shared.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited January 2019

If you understand how relationship works, you can understand internet routing and peering.

Relationships are never simple and so is the internet.

• malekmalek Member, Host Rep

What if I understand how routing and peering works, but don't understand relationships? :lol:

Thanked by 3brueggus eol vimalware
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Then pity yourself, for you've lived wrong.

Join the Nigh sect and we can teach you about relationships with the grim reaper.

• eoleol Member

@3606202 said:
    Hetzner is a german provider, so every chunk of data that leaves their DC has to get approved by the "Bundestag" and the "Bundesrat" before going overseas. This is a manual process carried out by large groups of old women, sitting in open space offices. Because some of them suffer from arthritis, many packets get delayed.

You should rather get a provider somewhere else. Someone with young women. Because young women = less arthritis = less delayed packets = more bandwidth for you. Go with any ColoCrossing location, they are all run by young pussies.

Amazing.

• @jackb said:
    There's a lot of factors, but in my opinion the most important ones will be bandwidth delay product and the capacity of the transatlantic link.

You can Google the first, but only really guess at the second for hetzner.

download speed from hetzner to USA is around 250 Mbps. Is this number (250) will be divided to all visitors who access my server?

Assuming the transatlantic link isn't congested, no. The bandwidth delay product means single TCP connections can only reach 250mbps, but different users use a connection each, so no problem. But if there's congestion, yes it'll be shared.

This is a good info.
    So how i can find if the transalantic link is congested or not?

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2019

@Medow said:
    This is a good info.

As I said - you can only really guess. Some networks (e.g. ovh) share publicly network graphs showing link utilisation, but most don't. So as an end user in most places, you can only guess.

Thanked by 1Medow
  • eoleol Member

@jackb said:

@Medow said:
    This is a good info.

As I said - you can only really guess. Some networks (e.g. ovh) share publicly network graphs showing link utilisation, but most don't. So as an end user in most places, you can only guess.

Let's say you will find out soon enough.

• 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

I would suspect this is mainly an issue with bandwidth delay product. It’s very typical given the actual geographical distance.

Thanked by 1vimalware