Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Connecting to a Dedicated Server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Connecting to a Dedicated Server?

When connecting to my VPSs I use putty. However, I've never had a dedicated server before, and have always been curious how hosts allow you to connect.

I was reading about IPMI, and saw a YouTube tutorial about it. Is this something all hosts use? If so, would it be a good idea to learn the basics?

Or, does it just depend on the host as they'll tell you how to connect after ordering?

Comments

• Well, once an OS is installed with an SSH server running you can also connect to it using putty.

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • @JohnMiller92 said:
    When connecting to my VPSs I use putty. However, I've never had a dedicated server before, and have always been curious how hosts allow you to connect.

I was reading about IPMI, and saw a YouTube tutorial about it. Is this something all hosts use? If so, would it be a good idea to learn the basics?

Or, does it just depend on the host as they'll tell you how to connect after ordering?

Generally you use IPMI to mount and install your distro. Most providers will give you KVMoIP access anyway, which is what you’ll use to set up SSH & the firewall (which means that you can simply connect by SSH on the IP after).

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited January 2019

@doghouch said:
    Generally you use IPMI to mount and install your distro. Most providers will give you KVMoIP access anyway, which is what you’ll use to set up SSH & the firewall (which means that you can simply connect by SSH on the IP after).

googles KVMoIP

I definitely feel like I should get my feet wet with a cheaper dedicated box first. Unless the host has like a specific tutorial on their page or something. Because now I am seeing words I've never heard before :blush:

• Keyboard Video Mouse over IP

• The last time I had a dedicated server (probably 7 years ago now), the provider didn't offer any of this fancy IPMI or KVM over IP... I had to get the provider to install the OS for me. This was also painful when I accidentally broke the kernel and had to get them to manually boot the server with the old kernel for me :tongue: . The provider didn't charge for any of that, but it was still annoying having to wait for them to do it rather than just doing it myself. That's one of the reasons I switched from a dedicated server to a VPS - Reboots and recoveries became a lot easier, for cheaper.

Definitely get a server with some sort of remote management, if you can... It makes things a lot easier.

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Old IPMI's mostly require a Windows XP VM with outdated Java shit.
    Just SSH in, and hope that your provider has properly firewalled the IPMI if your server has one.

Otherwise funny things going to happen.

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • @JohnMiller92 said:

Generally speaking you wouldn't ever connect to the server as you will anyway just buy the server and leave it to idle.

Thanked by 2eol Letzien
  • eoleol Member

@zafouhar said:

@JohnMiller92 said:

Generally speaking you wouldn't ever connect to the server as you will anyway just buy the server and leave it to idle.

This.
    How you even got the idea to connect to it is beyond me.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@Neoon said:

Most of the times you can get around it even with new Java just by enabling outdated and insecure crypto algorithms. But yea, I agree with the shit part.

• @eol said:

@zafouhar said:

@JohnMiller92 said:

This.

Yes and this should be a bannable offence when someone wants to use a server.

Thanked by 1eol
  • eoleol Member

@zafouhar said:

@eol said:

@zafouhar said:

@JohnMiller92 said:

This.

Yes and this should be a bannable offence when someone wants to use a server.

I couldn't agree more.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@exception0x876 said:

@Neoon said:

Most of the times you can get around it even with new Java just by enabling outdated and insecure crypto algorithms. But yea, I agree with the shit part.

XP is life, XP it.

• @Neoon said:

@exception0x876 said:

@Neoon said:

XP is life, XP it.

I believe that XP stood for "eXPerience".

• eoleol Member

@angstrom said:

I believe that XP stood for "eXtra Problems".

• @eol said:

@angstrom said:

:smile:

You guys are young. Windows XP was a world better than the abuse that consumers had becomed accustomed to back then: Windows ME, Windows 98, Windows 95. :smile:

• eoleol Member

@angstrom said:

@eol said:

@angstrom said:

:smile:

You guys are young. Windows XP was a world better than the abuse that consumers had becomed accustomed to back then: Windows ME, Windows 98, Windows 95. :smile:

LOL.
    The age of blue screens.
    Yeah it was more stable.

• @Neoon said:
    Just SSH in, and hope that your provider has properly firewalled the IPMI if your server has one.

This is more accurate than not. Dell (esp with AMD) is almost completely useless w/o IE 6. SuperMicro can be coaxed into working.

• @JohnMiller92 said:

Most dedicated server providers i use give you a web installer where you can choose the OS, change some partitions and such, yet no ipmi.

Personally i never had the need to use it, as even for windows you can do such for example by rescue mode (lets ignore crappy providers ofc).

I would say to get experienced with ssh, as that is available everywhere. IPMI isnt everywhere, but theres not much to learn on it, its a remote desktop basically.

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92