Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows server slow
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows server slow

asadkasadk Member

Hello i m using the following server
http://prntscr.com/m1ucgw
but its working too slow can u anyone suggest me which one is good or how to improve its performance for using windows server as a desktop

Comments

• What do you mean by slow? is it just latency lag?

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

Is that at your home? Or hosted somewhere? you may need it be closer to your home for low latency. Also you may need to check the TASK maybe something eat your cpu.

• @key900 said:
    Is that at your home? Or hosted somewhere? you may need it be closer to your home for low latency. Also you may need to check the TASK maybe something eat your cpu.

purchased from joes its cpu and ram usage is normal but its working like i m using p2 i have to wait for a 2 to 3 sec to run any program

• If it is hosted somewhere and you are connecting using RDP then most probably this is latency issue.

• eoleol Member

Yes, ping/latency is probably too high.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Apparently, not enough RAM. Modern Windows needs at least 76GB of RAM to avoid swapping.

• eoleol Member

Yeah, but...
    you shouldn't use a swap file/partition in the first place anyway.

• To get this much RAM and then run it as a desktop in a datacenter for a reasonable price, likely means the 7 year old CPU that isn't that fast in the first place is over provisioned with other VM's.

Also, run whatever you can out of a ramdisk.

Thanked by 1eol
  • eoleol Member

@TimboJones said:
    Also, run whatever you can out of a ramdisk.

Agreed.

• Check the health of the HDD.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Check the health of sanity as well.

Thanked by 2SteveMC eol
  • What did Joes say when you opened a ticket about it?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Xenos said:
    What did Joes say when you opened a ticket about it?

No way.
    - Jose

Francisco

Thanked by 3HyperSpeed Xenos uptime
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited January 2019

@asadk Let's image the following, you have a car and you're experiencing a problem with it, while on road. Then you call your mechanic and you tell him, "pls, my car doesn't work, what is the problem, ktnxbye". How is he supposed to help you from that point on, except "taking you by the hand" and guiding you through some basic troubleshooting.

It's the same thing you did here with your server issue, except with two differences - we're not even your mechanic and you didn't say please. It's not about being "lower than somebody", nor even being honest, it's about being polite for yourself.

That being said, let me give you a push:

Have you tried turning if off and on and will it even boot after the reboot?

Thanked by 2eol Daniel15
  • Hello sir, this could be an issue caused by the fact that data on your hard drive might be unoptimized. You have to force an optimize cycle.

First of all, boot from any linux iso, you need to go out of Windows. We will optimize the biggest drive.
    Open a console and write "lsblk", you will get a list of hard drives and partitions. Pick your most important and accessed one. We will carefully erase the first 512kb of data. You will notice that most of the times this corresponds to an empty "space" or partition. Hard drives work very badly if you don't align them to the integer id.

So, to make sure the data is aligned to the 512th block, we will run this command:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=2M count=512*512

Replace /dev/sdX with your most important partition (from the lsblk command!). Make sure run it twice to execute "sync" afterwards ,to sync the alignment properly and make sure the platters are correctly parallel to the heads. If you have an ssd, this will work too but with the internal electrons

Thanked by 1eol
  • eoleol Member

• it just 2 thread processor (most provider say 2 dedicate core),which mean just 1 real core. which mean not pretty good to run windows server.
    then check your disk, how much free space available. also uninstall program that that you never use.
    with more than 16 GB of RAM you will require more disk space for paging,hibernation, and dump files.

• eoleol Member

Fuck pagefile, swap partition, etc.
    Swap sucks.
    Either get more RAM or go home.

• If it is hosted somewhere and you are connecting using RDP th

@Janevski said:
    @asadk Let's image the following, you have a car and you're experiencing a problem with it, while on road. Then you call your mechanic and you tell him, "pls, my car doesn't work, what is the problem, ktnxbye". How is he supposed to help you from that point on, except "taking you by the hand" and guiding you through some basic troubleshooting.

It's the same thing you did here with your server issue, except with two differences - we're not even your mechanic and you didn't say please. It's not about being "lower than somebody", nor even being honest, it's about being polite for yourself.

Have you tried t jusurning if off and on and will it even boot after the reboot?

i was just ask for help
    done everything rebooting
    Disk space is almost free
    just using 2 Softwares
    FireFox
    chrome nothing else

• @asadk said:

If it is hosted somewhere and you are connecting using RDP th

@Janevski said:

Have you tried t jusurning if off and on and will it even boot after the reboot?

i was just ask for help
    just using 2 Softwares
    FireFox
    chrome nothing else

So, it's slow even after the reboot?

• @Janevski said:

@asadk said:

If it is hosted somewhere and you are connecting using RDP th

@Janevski said:

i was just ask for help
    just using 2 Softwares
    FireFox
    chrome nothing else

So, it's slow even after the reboot?

quite better nw