Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RDP to a windows server when connected on VPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RDP to a windows server when connected on VPN

I did the no-ip dynamic dns and able to do normal RDP until the point I connect to VPN. Once VPN is connected, still able to ping the server on new IP but unable to do RDP. Please help on what do I need to change/tweak in the server or VPN settings? (using VPNUNLIMITEDAPP). THANKS.

Comments

• Nulla ut lorem sed felis sodales tempus eget nec neque. Nulla facilisi. Nunc felis mauris, viverra non lectus nec, sagittis tincidunt justo. Proin lacinia ultrices aliquet. Maecenas in posuere arcu. Nullam mi velit, tempor at euismod ac, vulputate at augue. Integer hendrerit lectus lorem, eu convallis diam iaculis eu. :)

Thanked by 1eol
  • t0mt0m Member
    edited January 2019

You can do 2 things:
    1) Allow the IP address of the VPN to connect to your server (open tcp port 3389 in Windows firewall + only allow the VPN IP)
    2) Configure your device/vpn not to route connections to your RDP server via the VPN tunnel.
    If there are more/unkown users active on the VPN IP than option 1 is less secure than option 2.

Thanked by 1balaji_pitchumani
  • eoleol Member

@dahartigan said:
    Nulla ut lorem sed felis sodales tempus eget nec neque. Nulla facilisi. Nunc felis mauris, viverra non lectus nec, sagittis tincidunt justo. Proin lacinia ultrices aliquet. Maecenas in posuere arcu. Nullam mi velit, tempor at euismod ac, vulputate at augue. Integer hendrerit lectus lorem, eu convallis diam iaculis eu. :)

While this is entirely correct I would first mauris turpis nunc, blandit et, volutpat molestie, porta ut, ligula. Fusce pharetra convallis urna. Quisque ut nisi. Donec mi odio, faucibus at, scelerisque quis, convallis in, nisi. Suspendisse non nisl sit amet velit hendrerit rutrum. Ut leo. Ut a nisl id ante tempus hendrerit. Proin pretium, leo ac pellentesque mollis, felis nunc ultrices eros, sed gravida augue augue mollis justo. Suspendisse eu ligula. Nulla facilisi. Donec id justo. Praesent porttitor, nulla vitae posuere iaculis, arcu nisl dignissim dolor, a pretium mi sem ut ipsum. Curabitur suscipit suscipit tellus.

And then praesent vestibulum dapibus nibh. Etiam iaculis nunc ac metus. Ut id nisl quis enim dignissim sagittis. Etiam sollicitudin, ipsum eu pulvinar rutrum, tellus ipsum laoreet sapien, quis venenatis ante odio sit amet eros. Proin magna. Duis vel nibh at velit scelerisque suscipit. Curabitur turpis. Vestibulum suscipit nulla quis orci. Fusce ac felis sit amet ligula pharetra condimentum. Maecenas egestas arcu quis ligula mattis placerat. Duis lobortis massa imperdiet quam. Suspendisse potenti.

• @eol said:

@dahartigan said:
    Nulla ut lorem sed felis sodales tempus eget nec neque. Nulla facilisi. Nunc felis mauris, viverra non lectus nec, sagittis tincidunt justo. Proin lacinia ultrices aliquet. Maecenas in posuere arcu. Nullam mi velit, tempor at euismod ac, vulputate at augue. Integer hendrerit lectus lorem, eu convallis diam iaculis eu. :)

While this is entirely correct I would first mauris turpis nunc, blandit et, volutpat molestie, porta ut, ligula. Fusce pharetra convallis urna. Quisque ut nisi. Donec mi odio, faucibus at, scelerisque quis, convallis in, nisi. Suspendisse non nisl sit amet velit hendrerit rutrum. Ut leo. Ut a nisl id ante tempus hendrerit. Proin pretium, leo ac pellentesque mollis, felis nunc ultrices eros, sed gravida augue augue mollis justo. Suspendisse eu ligula. Nulla facilisi. Donec id justo. Praesent porttitor, nulla vitae posuere iaculis, arcu nisl dignissim dolor, a pretium mi sem ut ipsum. Curabitur suscipit suscipit tellus.

And then praesent vestibulum dapibus nibh. Etiam iaculis nunc ac metus. Ut id nisl quis enim dignissim sagittis. Etiam sollicitudin, ipsum eu pulvinar rutrum, tellus ipsum laoreet sapien, quis venenatis ante odio sit amet eros. Proin magna. Duis vel nibh at velit scelerisque suscipit. Curabitur turpis. Vestibulum suscipit nulla quis orci. Fusce ac felis sit amet ligula pharetra condimentum. Maecenas egestas arcu quis ligula mattis placerat. Duis lobortis massa imperdiet quam. Suspendisse potenti.

Suspendisse potenti indeed.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @balaji_pitchumani said:
    I did the no-ip dynamic dns and able to do normal RDP until the point I connect to VPN. Once VPN is connected, still able to ping the server on new IP but unable to do RDP. Please help on what do I need to change/tweak in the server or VPN settings? (using VPNUNLIMITEDAPP). THANKS.

If you're talking about RDPing to the VPN IP, you can't. You lack port forwarding rules for the VPN to forward port 3389 to your specific IP.

If you meant something else, please clarify.

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep

I would assume OP is using VPN service like Hidemyass or NordVPN, ... This is highly depends on your VPN provider that allows port 3389 or not.

As per my knowledge, I only know Windscribe and HMA does this, you can pretty much rdp to your VPS normally even when VPN is active.

If you are running your own VPN, you need to setup firewall/routing rule to allows port 3389 :smiley:

• Many thanks All.

Thanked by 1eol
  • Also just managed to connect through teamviewer to the server without issues even when the server was on VPN.

• @balaji_pitchumani said:
    Also just managed to connect through teamviewer to the server without issues even when the server was on VPN.

Yes, these are services where you connect to it over the connection to a middle man. You will have higher latency, but I've never found TeamViewer slow, so you'll be alright.

• aliletalilet Member
    edited January 2019

Not sure if I got you but if you are saying that you are connected to server via RDP and as soon as you connect to VPN inside server, RDP disconnects then in that case you need to uncheck "Use default gateway" in the IPv4 and IPv6 setting of VPN (if it is IPSEC).

This way both RDP and VPN will work.